Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I JUST installed Windows 10 on my Lenovo B570 using the Free Upgrade Tool from Microsoft saved from when they were offering a free upgrade to all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ornithophilia, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs

I JUST installed Windows 10 on my Lenovo B570 using the Free Upgrade Tool from Microsoft saved from when they were offering a free upgrade to all Windows 7 users. For some reason, instead of installing the latest version, it installed version 1709 and despite the fact that this is a BRAND NEW INSTALL, it WILL NOT update whatsoever!

It always hangs at "checking for updates" and it has been there for five hours and nothing shows at all

So, I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter but it ALWAYS hangs at "checking for pending restart" which is the first thing it looks for and it has been stuck at that spot for three hours and it has not moved passed "checking for pending restart" at all!

Not only is Windows Update not working right after the Windows 10 install, the Windows Update troubleshooter is also not working either!! This laptop has only had Windows 10 on it for 24 hours

Does anybody know what the problem could be and how to fix it? How could stuff be NOT WORKING after JUST the first day of Windows 10?

:)

Ornithophilia, Jan 17, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. Mr Morgan Win User
    Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem which has arisen recently. I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 but when I try Windows Update via the Settings app, it hangs for some time and eventually gives:

Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs [​IMG]

Checking in Event Viewer I find messages such as:

So I know that Windows Update is finding updates on-line. But what is the error 0x800705b4?

I have tried deleting contents of folders C:\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and Download and also running the troubleshooter for updates in Windows 10 but this simply hangs with message:

Can anyone advise?

Mr Morgan, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs

Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs

1. Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs - Similar Threads - hangs checking updates

2. Update hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update hangs: Trying to install Windows update, it gets to 61% and hangs. Now i cannot get it to clear so i can try to reinstall https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-hangs/999316aa-19b2-4079-804b-8b67b090c163
  3. Updates hanging.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates hanging.: I`m well and truly SICK TO THE BACK TEETH of Windows 10 updates hanging.EVERY single month the cumulative updates HANG on installation, causing days of slow running computer.WHEN are Microsoft going to rectify this problem ??. WHY can`t you test the updates BEFORE releasing...
  4. 0x800705b4 Update Hangs, Update Troubleshoot Hangs, sfc /scannow Hangs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    0x800705b4 Update Hangs, Update Troubleshoot Hangs, sfc /scannow Hangs: I have tried updating a few times, it hangs for a full day or longer if you let it. I have tried the updated trouble shooter, it hangs as long as you allow it to run I have tried sfc /scannow and it hangs as long as you allow it to run I have also run windows defender, it...
  5. windows 10 hang freezing troubleshoot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 hang freezing troubleshoot: By uninstall Graphic driver such as HD or FHD , windows would be worked smoothly. Maybe you have to uninstall graphic drive at Safe Mode. One way go safe mode : before login system press Shift + Restart...
  6. Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates

Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates: I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem which has arisen recently. I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 but when I try Windows Update via the Settings app, it hangs for some time and eventually gives: [img] Checking in Event Viewer I find messages such as: [img]...
  7. Win 10 Update Troubleshoot report and hanging with youtube

Win 10 Update Troubleshoot report and hanging with youtube: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I spent a great deal of time last night/this morning updating to the 1909 as I was advised to. Following it, things seemed to be working fine. Then later today, YT videos started hanging. I've checked to see if there were any Win updates that were waiting...
  8. Windows 10 1809 update hangs on reboot, then hangs on recovery

Windows 10 1809 update hangs on reboot, then hangs on recovery: When I try reboot my PC to install update 1809, it stays stuck forever on the blue shutdown screen, with the spinning blue dots and the counter at 0%. Here's the output from the last operations in Panther\setupact.log: 2018-10-06 01:29:33, Info SP...
  9. Windows 10 update hangs

Windows 10 update hangs: When I click on settings>Update & Security, my laptop now automatically checks for updates. The problem is that the little blue dots passing by in the update search screen have been doing this for over two hours. I can't click on Advanced to check the history due to this. Is...
  10. Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates

Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates: I am currently using windows 7 64-bit. I downloaded windows 10 from the ms site (the automatic icon never appeared on my pc), and am using the media creation tool. All goes fine until 'Getting Updates', when it hangs on 'checking for updates'. I have tried playing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com