Windows 10: Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

Discus and support Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sammer295, Feb 4, 2020.

1. sammer295 Win User

Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not until some time has passed. After about 5 minutes the switch in the PSU cuts off the power.

I noticed that in these 5 minutes I can hear a repeated whine up sound coming from the hard drive area. That led me to update my Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller. Sadly it didn't fix the problem (it did have an update though).
    Windows Version 1909, OS Build 18363.592.

I also had an issue with the wireless chip (Intel Duel Band Wireless-AC 3165) It would stop working after while, wouldn't be able to turn it back on. If I tried restarting it would BSOD. fixed that issue though, as I have not encountered it recently. I'm pretty sure the two aren't related but I mentioned it anyways because I may be surprised.

Any help is highly appreciated!! Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown :)

:)

sammer295, Feb 4, 2020
  2. FunEngine Win User

Win 10 improper shutdown

For previous versions of Win OS, if there is improper shutdown, a scandisk screen will come up after restart. However, in win 10 after improper shutdown, it just go right to Windows w/o prompting for a scandisk. Is this normal and why ?

FunEngine, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

No, that's rocket science. I'm posting with 10 already, so the problem was solved two days ago...Thank you.

The Windows 7 shutdown screen simply decided to hang and I finally did a hard shutdown and started it up again, after which it was painless.

required name required as well, Feb 4, 2020
  4. R-T-B Win User

PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown - Similar Threads - Hangs Shutdown Forces

2. BSOD computer shutdown improperly. bugcheck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD computer shutdown improperly. bugcheck: so my computer tends to BSOD or restart out of sleep mode or it will wake up on its own and shut down improperly with this bugcheck report. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 0x0000000000000018, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000,...
  3. BSOD computer shutdown improperly. bugcheck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD computer shutdown improperly. bugcheck: so my computer tends to BSOD or restart out of sleep mode or it will wake up on its own and shut down improperly with this bugcheck report. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 0x0000000000000018, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000,...
  4. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 forced shutdown: When using the "Start", "Power", "Shut down" option Windows 10 shuts down.UNLESS there is an application running that expects a user response.Too many times I have used the above and left, thinking Windows will shut down. Only to come back in the morning and find out that...
  5. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 forced shutdown: When using the "Start", "Power", "Shut down" option Windows 10 shuts down.UNLESS there is an application running that expects a user response.Too many times I have used the above and left, thinking Windows will shut down. Only to come back in the morning and find out that...
  6. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Forcing Windows 10 to Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Forcing Windows 10 to Shutdown: Does anyone know how to force the inactivity timer to actually work? The problem seems to be that VLC player is disabling it, but I really don't want it to. I want the PC to shut down after a certain inactivity timeout no matter what. Anyone know how? 175665
  8. Force shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force shutdown: Hello Eversince I've been using Windows 10 I have been struggling with many bugs and blue screens. Ok well I'm used to it now. But the thing is, when the computer is stuck, I'm unable to force shutdown and force restart it. I need to wait for the battery to be depleted....
  9. How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?

How can I force "shutdown /p" if regular shutdown hangs?: Basically what's on the title, if a regular shutdown leads to the system hanging for a long time during the process, is there any way I can automatically dispatch a `shutdown /p` command? I've tried it using a timer in a Powershell script, set as the shutdown script in...
  10. Improper ShutDown

Improper ShutDown: So, my desktop computer with Windows 10 installed has a problem shutting down properly. The usual process takes place and the monitor goes blank but the fans and lights on the CPU are still on. I have, to no effect, waited for more than 30 minutes hoping they'd go off...