Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I did a clean install of Windows 10 about 15 days ago for a new computer build. Here are the specs: Windows 10 version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685 CPU:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by PODxt, Jan 8, 2021.

1. PODxt Win User

Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

Hi, I did a clean install of Windows 10 about 15 days ago for a new computer build. Here are the specs:
    Windows 10 version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900XT
    MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
    RAM: 4x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
    SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Nvme M.2 (System)
    SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4 TB SATA3
    HDD: Toshiba X300 6 TB 7200rpm
    GC: Gigabyte GTX N970IX OC-4GD Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 1076 MHz 4096 MB PCI-Express
    Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX
    Corsair PSU 750W Gold

I witness several shutdown issues with this computer where the blue shutdown screen with the spinning wheel is spinning indefinitely. Well, I waited for 2 hours, I had time to watch a movie in the meantime and when the credits started rolling, Windows was still trying to shut down. I had to manually power off the computer.

I had a look at the event log and saw a lot of red warnings I am not able to interpret. There are a couple of thousands of red flags in there for the last 7 days.

What can I do to solve the shutdown issue and the event log errors?log.zip
    Thanks

:)

PODxt, Jan 8, 2021

2. Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

No, that's rocket science. I'm posting with 10 already, so the problem was solved two days ago...Thank you.

The Windows 7 shutdown screen simply decided to hang and I finally did a hard shutdown and started it up again, after which it was painless.

required name required as well, Jan 8, 2021
  3. Martin_TP Win User
    Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

If your HP Pavilion has a fingerprint reader, you need to disable it. In my case fingerprint reader and system service for this device caused Windows 10 to hang on shutdown or restart (Blue screen with “Restarting” or “Shutting down” message and dots
    circling around. After some time dots freeze and system hangs). I assume you have the same problem with Windows 10 and HP Pavilion.

To fix this issue after installing Windows 10 go to:

• Computer Management > Device Manager
    Find "Biometric devices" and disable "Validity Sensors (WBF) ....."

• Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services
    Find "Validity WBF Policy Service", disable this service and change "Startup type" in properties to "Disabled".

For the first time after this change system can hang up again. Turn off the computer (power switch) and turn on again. Now Windows should restart and shutdown properly.

Martin_TP, Jan 8, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown - Similar Threads - hangs indefinitely shutdown

2. Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely: I am having critical problems operating File Explorer on my Windows 11 Laptop. The specs are good enough to dismiss slow hardware as a problem. Could anyone give a solution to the problem? Here are the details:The Problem:- Windows Explorer hangs almost indefinitely until the...
  3. Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - File Explorer Hangs Almost Indefinitely: I am having critical problems operating File Explorer on my Windows 11 Laptop. The specs are good enough to dismiss slow hardware as a problem. Could anyone give a solution to the problem? Here are the details:The Problem:- Windows Explorer hangs almost indefinitely until the...
  4. windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown: please please help me , my computer was just fine but lately it gets stuck on restart or turn off , sometimes it gets alot of time like more than 1 hour , sometimes i have to hard turn it off , i make sure to turn off Wifi before turning it off and i unplug it , please i just...
  5. Win10 hangs indefinitely even if using recovery USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 hangs indefinitely even if using recovery USB: Hi everyone, Little write up here but will try to be succinct. Curious issue that just started up with my Win10 PC. It had been out of action for a while with an intermittent issue where it would restart out of the blue. I took a gamble and replaced the PSU because it was by...
  6. Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.: Hello, I have done a clean install of windows 10 20h2 and have download and installed all the updates, the Problem I am facing is when I shutdown my laptop windows 10 say getting windows ready do not turn you computer off, this all that happens windows does not shutdown....
  7. Windows 10 randomly hangs at shutdown or reboots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 randomly hangs at shutdown or reboots: The hanging occurs after everything is closed. Even in the event manager, I can see "Operating System was stopped at xx:xx". When the hangs occurs, the screen is black with no signal, the CPU fan starts to spin faster and faster, meaning the CPU seems to be at 100%. This...
  8. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  9. Windows hangs on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows hangs on shutdown/restart: I just built a new PC. Upgraded my Windows license because my free upgrade to Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 OEM, Installed the mobo drivers (as best I could, see below), installed GPU drivers, etc. Issues: 1) Whenever I try and shut down, the system hangs on the blue...
  10. Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.: Hello everyone, For the past few days Windows 10 has been hanging at shutdown. The symptoms are as follows: When shutting down the computer, it'll make it past the shutdown screen, my monitor will turn off and display "No Signal" which is normal, although the computer will...