Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs when clicking on "This PC" in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs when clicking on "This PC" in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; aka "Working on it" bug. Starting a separate thread about what I believe to be a bug or serious compatibility issue. Lots of people on the net... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

Windows 10 hangs when clicking on "This PC" in Windows Explorer

aka "Working on it" bug.

Starting a separate thread about what I believe to be a bug or serious compatibility issue.
    Lots of people on the net are having it, but there is no solution as yet. Screenshot below.

Step to reproduce
    : On a PC with multiple drives attached, open Windows Explorer and click on This PC (formerly "My computer").
    Symptom: Instead of displaying the attached drives in the right hand pane as normal, Windows 10 is showing a progress bar, plus the message "Working on it". This goes on indefinitely.
    (Several people mentioned also having issues with the icons in connection with this. I also have that, as you can see from the screenshot. May or may not be related to having installed and uninstalled Stardock Iconpackager.)

Initially the problem also prevented the individual drives from displaying their content. Disabling Defender, SearchIndexer, SearchUI etc solved that problem. But it's still present when clicking on My Computer to display installed drives. For people who want these services running, the workaround is probably not acceptable - particularly security conscious people who feel exposed when not running Defender.

I want to figure out what causes this problem - why do some people get it?
    Is it linked to some setting or installed software, then what software or setting is it? Why do some people get this behaviour?
    Various people mention online having been in touch with Microsoft who told them to restore or re-install. If I wanted to do that, I would just do it - not waste time on threads online.

I have killed a bunch of processes and disabled a lot of unnecessary services, but haven't found a solution yet.
    Creating this thread as much for others with the same problem, as myself.

:)

Hannele2, Aug 16, 2016

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Aug 16, 2016
  3. okinawa---01, Aug 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, can I ask about this question looking at this a slightly different way..
    First, have you applied the anniversary upgrade?
    (If not sure, Windows key + R, type winver; the build level should be 14393 if you have).
    Second, do you ever reach a point where you can view drive contents, and if so, can you see the content of all your (multiple) external drives?

I ask this as some users are experiencing problems with external drives with the AU applied - MS is said to be 'working on it'. If you see the content reported as RAW, then you are experiencing this.
    e.g.
    After the anniversary update I can't access my external hard drives anymore! : windows

You can also check in Disk Management.

The recommendation is to roll back to the previous build (and block/defer the upgrade).

Thirdly, do you have search indexing configured to include external drives?

Fourthly, can you advise if explorer opens normally with no external drives connected?

dalchina, Aug 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 hangs when clicking on "This PC" in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - hangs clicking Explorer

2. Windows 10 Windows Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Windows Explorer Hangs: I've had this problem for a long time where the Windows Explorer on my machine hangs every 50 - 60 seconds. It makes it hard to type, like this description for example, or papers for school. I also notice that it causes my games to lag as well. It only hangs for a brief...
  3. Windows 10 Windows Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Windows Explorer Hangs: I've had this problem for a long time where the Windows Explorer on my machine hangs every 50 - 60 seconds. It makes it hard to type, like this description for example, or papers for school. I also notice that it causes my games to lag as well. It only hangs for a brief...
  4. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked: This dump was taken after about 5 minutes, previous search list had not been displayed.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apl0rgCPgEetgjvN_0YIjGfbqFhd?e=fbureZ...
  5. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked: This dump was taken after about 5 minutes, previous search list had not been displayed.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apl0rgCPgEetgjvN_0YIjGfbqFhd?e=fbureZ...
  6. File Explorer hangs when Search box is clicked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Right Click Makes File Explorer Hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Right Click Makes File Explorer Hang: Due to lack of space, I only managed to clear enough space to do the Windows 10 update last night. But today, the file explorer shortcut in the taskbar doesn't work, and when i right click an app in file explorer or desktop, the explorer hangs and I have to close it. I've...
  8. Explorer hangs on right-click on Office files in Windows 10

Explorer hangs on right-click on Office files in Windows 10: Since the last one week, this problem has reappeared after a year . Whenever I right-click or double-click on an Office file Word, Excel or PPT , explorer hangs and I am unable to open the file as intended. On doing some more research, I have been able to narrow down the...
  9. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  10. Windows 10 hangs and explorer unresponsive when clicking on PDF file

Windows 10 hangs and explorer unresponsive when clicking on PDF file: Occasionally when I go to a folder to open a PDF file when I click on it the folder just freezes and becomes unresponsive. I can open the pdf file if I open the pdf software (tracker software pdf exchange editor). but if I restart it is all ok. then it might happen again...