Windows 10: Windows 10 Hangs when switching focused window

Discus and support Windows 10 Hangs when switching focused window in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Before I begin, here are my pc's parts: Ryzen 5 3600 @3.6ghz RTX 2070 Super 16GB DDR4 memory @ 3000mhz Windows version 10.0.18362 ASRock x470... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EdwardMorales, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Hangs when switching focused window

Before I begin, here are my pc's parts:

Ryzen 5 3600 @3.6ghz

RTX 2070 Super

16GB DDR4 memory @ 3000mhz

Windows version 10.0.18362

ASRock x470 Master SLI/ac Motherboard

Let me know if there's any other information that would help with this

Since I got this system, I've had a recurring issue where when changing the focused window either through Alt+Tab, opening a program, or clicking on another program that's already open from task bar, my PC completely freezes. If I do nothing, it returns to normal after about 10 seconds. I've found trying to do any inputs during this time, such as ctrl+alt+del, the issue becomes worse and my screen goes completely black for up to two minutes before going back to normal.

This doesn't seem to happen all the time, sometimes I'll go a whole day without any freezes. But, when multitasking and having multiple windows up on my screen at once, any switching between them has a fairly high chance to for this to happen.

'Desktop Window Manager' will spike to 100% GPU usage when this happens, before quickly going back to around 3-5% when the freeze stops. Sometimes task manager will report the application that I'm switching focus to is using 100% GPU. There have also been instances where my CPU spikes to 100%. I really have no clue what's causing this, I've had this issue since November and it's really interfering with my work.

This problem also only seems to occur when switching between apps that are in fullscreen. If though, the app is in windowed mode but I've stretched it upwards so that Windows automatically stretches is all the way down to fill the screen vertically, the problem occurs. Windowed mode where the app isn't stretched 100% vertically or horizontally seems to not have this problem

I should add that CPU and GPU spikes also happen with random programs sometimes. Windows Explorer may randomly spike when switching focused window, or Wallpaper Engine [a wallpaper app on Steam]

:)

EdwardMorales, Mar 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Mar 29, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows 10 Hangs when switching focused window

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

Windows 10 Hangs when switching focused window

1. Windows 10 Hangs when switching focused window - Similar Threads - Hangs switching focused

2. Is there a shortcut to switch focus between the tiled windows on the screen?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to switch focus between the tiled windows on the screen?: For example, if I have 2 windows each snapped to 50% of my screen real estate, is there a keyboard shortcut where I can just easily switch between or navigate focus, only for the windows that are tiled? Alt/win+tab opens up a whole menu and cycles everything. I mean more just...
  3. Audio cuts off when switching focus to a new application window

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio cuts off when switching focus to a new application window: As the subject states, I'm having an especially bizarre audio bug where when I switch from any one application window to another, the audio cuts for a brief second and I've done research on the cause for 3 weeks with no solution in sight. Everything has suggested disabling...
  4. Is it possible to switch off the focus in Windows (keyboard)?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to switch off the focus in Windows (keyboard)?: Morning tsm. It bothers me that when I press ESC, EMPTY or the Tab key (on the desktop) the last used icon gets a funny grey dotted border and I can navigate with the arrow keys. With my brother, when he presses ESC, the last icon used is selected but not surrounded by...
  5. Laptop hangs when i switch on and to use it

Laptop hangs when i switch on and to use it: Hello. i have Acer nitro 5 AN515-52 and bought in Oct 2019. Lately, the display was flickering and notification pops showing "display driver failed to start". And at that time I thought it is because i haven't installed the antivirus, and luckily after installing the...
  6. Windows 10 apps minimizing when in full screen and switching focus

Windows 10 apps minimizing when in full screen and switching focus: I have this annoying issue where whenever I am using a native windows app in full screen mode on one of my two monitors (for example watching something on the Netflix app) and try to do something on my second monitor (starting chrome, or just clicking on an open window) the...
  7. Windows 10 is not giving focus to gamebar when it is opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 is not giving focus to gamebar when it is opened.: A recent annoyance. When i open Gamebar, it is no longer given focus so that i cannot select options in it with a controller, and if i am in a game, i must enter the menu or chat (making it so the mouse\touch-pad no longer is used for looking in game) in order to use the...
  8. Switch Window Focus using a Batch File/CMD

Switch Window Focus using a Batch File/CMD: I have a Windows application that when launched with the Task Scheduler on start up does not have focus (i.e. I cannot execute keyboard commands in the application until I click the application into focus). Focus is on the Desktop. The application is started through Task...
  9. Focus Switch

Focus Switch: When the cursor hovers over an open window focus is automatically shifted to that window, What I want is when the cursor hovers over an open window it must be clicked on to gain focus. How do I do this??...
  10. Switching off "Focused" in windows 10

Switching off "Focused" in windows 10: If i switch off "Focused" in windows 10 where will all my existing emails be shown ? Will I loose any of my existing emails -- that currently reflect in "Focused" ?...