Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs with large files on external drives

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs with large files on external drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I am having a very annoying issue and hoping someone can help me out here. I am running Windows 10 on an HP Spectre x360 laptop. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chorchie, May 26, 2016.

1. chorchie Win User

Windows 10 hangs with large files on external drives

Hi all,

I am having a very annoying issue and hoping someone can help me out here. I am running Windows 10 on an HP Spectre x360 laptop. I have a clean install of Win10 (and actually did a clean re-install when I started noticing this issue in case I was dealing with any OS corruption...but it made no difference.

The issue is when I connect external drives with large files. I am using a USB 3.0 1tb Seagate BackupPlus drive (and I purchased a brand new one to rule out a drive issue). I am also using a USB 3.0 Lexar 256gb flash drive which also experiences the same issue.

The Seagate BackupPlus drive is Mac formatted (I use Mac Drive 10 to read/write) and the Lexar flash drive is Ex-FAT formatted.

I work in television and have to shuttle around show files, which are usually around 90-100gb video files. When I connect the drive containing the large files to the drive and then access the drive, the system hangs. The mouse won't move (it actually darts around the screen every few seconds or so when I move the mouse) and the system won't respond, although it doesn't say that anything is not running. I cannot CTRL-ALT-DEL or do anything else while the system is "thinking." If I wait several minutes (around 3-5 minutes), the system then goes right back to normal and then I can use it again, although it may hang again if I am still accessing the drives with large files. I have another Seagate USB 3.0 drive that is always connected via a dock - that drive does not contain large files and never experiences this problem. (That drive is NTFS formatted). I also don't have any issue with these other drives when connecting them to other systems to copy the large files onto them.

When the system hangs, if I disconnect the drive, it doesn't seem to make the system recover any faster - it still takes several minutes and then returns to normal.

I have noticed, though, that if File Explorer isn't open and I am not accessing the drive via any other programs, the system seems to work normally. It is only when I am accessing the drive via File Explorer or other programs I use to analyze or upload these files that I experience this hang.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to either diagnose or solve this problem? It gets very frustrating because I am using the computer for my work and having to wait many minutes for the system to respond is a problem.

Thank you in advance!!

-David

:)

chorchie, May 26, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Device manager, command promp (Admin), etc wont respond. Cant login as admin...How do I fix this?

An external drive. Each image is very large [almost as large as the space that is used up on drive C:\]. I have a vague memory that it actually has to be an external drive rather than a USB stick even if it is big enough. External drives are much, much
    cheaper than large USB sticks anyway.

I use a 500GB external drive. It also has my file backups, copies of all installation files, ...

Denis

Tryx3, May 26, 2016
  3. Why do large data transfers between external drives just fall asleep.

windows 10 seems to be a mixed bag.

copying normal files seems faster than windows 7 or 8 but I get huge issues when backing up large data.

windows just goes to sleep or hangs about 3 minutes into the transfer, and you have to reboot to unlock the processes.

trying to transfer gigs of data between external drives and large terabyte internal drives.

win 7 did the job, just very slow.

I'm in graphics so we have 5 terabyte of storage and create a 100 gig a month.

I see there was a fix for this issue in 7 and 8 called Windows6.1-KB976972-x64, but is there a fix yet for win 10??

StrattonTodd, May 26, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 hangs with large files on external drives

1. Windows 10 hangs with large files on external drives - Similar Threads - hangs large files

2. Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10: I did a full and fresh reinstall Reset this PC of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad i7 computer. Now all my large 4tb and bigger external hard drives are not accessable. They were all fine prior to the reinstall.I am able to open smaller external drives without issue. One is...
  3. Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large External Hard Drives Not Accessable after reinstall of Windows 10: I did a full and fresh reinstall Reset this PC of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad i7 computer. Now all my large 4tb and bigger external hard drives are not accessable. They were all fine prior to the reinstall.I am able to open smaller external drives without issue. One is...
  4. File Explorer on Windows 11 hangs when working with large files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer on Windows 11 hangs when working with large files: Hi allI have been having issues with Windows explorer in that it just "hangs" for a long time when trying to either open, or even just right-clicking large filesFor this example, I downloaded Davinci Resolve video editing software. It comes down as a ZIP file. Even just...
  5. File Explorer on Windows 11 hangs when working with large files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer on Windows 11 hangs when working with large files: Hi allI have been having issues with Windows explorer in that it just "hangs" for a long time when trying to either open, or even just right-clicking large filesFor this example, I downloaded Davinci Resolve video editing software. It comes down as a ZIP file. Even just...
  6. Does Defender have any limitations on External drives and for large files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does Defender have any limitations on External drives and for large files?: Hi,I have these reoccurring alerts that Defender keeps quarantining files on External Drives but they are actually still there. Can't Defender quarantine files on External drives? Is this a permission issue or something?And Defender seems to failing to quarantine large files...
  7. fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up: what causes fantom external drive to hang up bootup of windows 10 ifr power external drive off, then windows 10 boots up with it off ?/ **Moved from: Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / General**...
  8. fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up

in Windows 10 Customization
    fantom external drive causes window 10 hang up: what causes fantom external drive to hang up bootup of windows 10 ifr power external drive off, then windows 10 boots up with it off ?/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fantom-external-drive-causes-window-10-hang-up/5c7d5980-616a-4cea-82c2-5b108a06acac
  9. WINDOWS 10 FREEZES WHEN MOVING LARGE NUMBERS OF FILES TO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR MOVING...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINDOWS 10 FREEZES WHEN MOVING LARGE NUMBERS OF FILES TO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR MOVING...: WINDOWS IS HORRIABLE it is taking me weeks to move files around in an external hard drive some times they move quite amazingly fast then at others they freeze up. I tried using tera copy but still they will not work as hoped/...
  10. Large files on external drive cause system to hang

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Large files on external drive cause system to hang: Hi all, I have an HP Spectre laptop. I work in television and have to transfer very large files (70-100gb each). When a drive containing those files are connected, the system will hang - sometimes for a short time, sometimes it requires a hard boot. Not sure what is causing...