Windows 10: windows 10 hardware change activation

Discus and support windows 10 hardware change activation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently changed my motherboard and processor and windows detects it as another computer (understandable), but when I run the trouble-shooter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dylan_B, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Dylan_B Win User

windows 10 hardware change activation

I have recently changed my motherboard and processor and windows detects it as another computer (understandable), but when I run the trouble-shooter and select "I have recently made a hardware change" and select my computer, it says that it cannot be re activated and to contact the merchant who sold me the copy, but the merchant has shut down, is there a way to fix this?

:)

Dylan_B, Oct 3, 2018

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-21a5-4010-8a39-7b975611b73b?tm=1438203002881

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Oct 3, 2018
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

4. JT1969C10 Win User

Activating WIndows 10 after hardware change.

Before replacing my hardware on my main computer, I logged into my Microsoft Windows account. Once logged in, I saw that the name of the PC that I was upgrading was in my list of PCs that were activated for Windows 10 Pro. So after reviewing how to reactivate
    after a HW changed, I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard, CPU and memory in that PC.

Now, when it is time to reactivate, the PC in question is still listed in the hardware list on my MS account but it will not allow me to activate Windows. I followed the instructions online and ran the troubleshooting tool. It then gave me the following
    response:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the
    Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later.

See other devices linked to your Microsoft account

So why would it not find the license that was for this PC when it had the old hardware installed? My assumption, albeit may wrong, was that the PC was activated because it was in the list. It was also activated as a Windows 10 Pro edition.

Anyone have any suggestions on this type of issue?

JT1969C10, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 hardware change activation - Similar Threads - hardware change activation

2. Windows Activation and Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation and Hardware Change: I recently swapped my MB, CPU, and RAM from a b450 to a b550 and from an AMD Ryzen 3 to a 5. I bought a prebuilt that came with windows in 2020 from Skytech Gaming it’s the ArchAngel with the GTX 1060 ti and 8 GB of ram. however since I changed it I haven’t been able to...
  3. Windows activation on hardware change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation on hardware change.: recently I had a motherboard change in my HP pavilion 16 laptop, before the hardware change, I had windows 11 activated with digital license, but after the change I installed windows 11 home and trying to activate with the same account but unable to proceed. please help me...
  4. Hardware change windows activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hardware change windows activation: i have changed my hardware and my windows is deactivated and when i try to contanct any customer support all of them resulted in error/lost connectionget help,microsoft web...
  5. Hardware change windows activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware change windows activation: i have changed my hardware and my windows is deactivated and when i try to contanct any customer support all of them resulted in error/lost connectionget help,microsoft web...
  6. Hardware change and Windows activation

Hardware change and Windows activation: I have windows 10 pro 2004 My windows says that it is activated with digital license linked to my microsoft account, so,if I change the motherboard of the machine,will the windows still workas an activated windows,or shall I have to buy a new key?...
  7. Windows 10 activation, hardware change...but not.

Windows 10 activation, hardware change...but not.: Computer: Lenovo E73 (bios integrated Windows license) Hardware change: NO I re-install W10 v1903 and activation says that I had made hardware change...which I not. Cannot activate W10 with troubleshooter. What to do? Virtual support thing does not help....
  8. change of hardware, activation of windows

change of hardware, activation of windows: Hello In my account I see old and new computer but the versions of OS win 10 are different, the old hardware is version 1803 and the new one is 1903. As I read on the Microsoft page this is a problem ,, Confirm Windows 10 release. Make sure that the release, Windows 10 Home...
  9. Windows 10 hardware change activation

Windows 10 hardware change activation: Hello. I can't reactivate windows 10 after hardware change. When I get to troubleshooter the only PC I can choose is my last GIGABYTE motherboard, and there isn't this new PC with asus mb. On the contrary when I enter my Microsoft account on the network there is this new PC...
  10. Hardware changes and windows activation

Hardware changes and windows activation: I recently changed a lot of hardware to my computer including the motherboard. There is a watermark in the lower right hand corner saying to Activate Windows. So I went to the activation in settings and used the trouble shooter. I clicked the link on the troubleshooter that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asrock ab350m pro issues with windows 10