Windows 10: WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.

Discus and support WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Okay so Windows 10 behaves in ways I don't like on apps that refuse to be closed when you try to shut down the computer.Behavior I'm used to is Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ada Mackiewicz, Feb 18, 2023.

1. WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.

Okay so Windows 10 behaves in ways I don't like on apps that refuse to be closed when you try to shut down the computer.Behavior I'm used to is Windows stopping at the 'closing applications' screen and telling me which apps refuse to shut down mostly because of unsaved work so I can click 'cancel' and shut them down myself.But now it instead skips that and goes to a lock screen regardless of what I want, and half the time forcibly closes these application with "Exception in adresss #FFFFFF" or something like that.I have already lost some work because of that, would've lost more if I didn't h

:)

Ada Mackiewicz, Feb 18, 2023
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Feb 18, 2023
  3. thename Win User
    NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior

Also bizarre :

WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed. 329174d1619282252t-ntfs-disk-compression-bizarre-behavior-notenoughspace.jpg

I found that it was being caused by compression checkbox selected in partition's properties window.
    I disabled that property, next time the copying had no problem, and 4.9GB free.

Ok, I found the cause, but I do not understand its behavior.

thename, Feb 18, 2023
  4. Isha Soni Win User

WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.

Installation Complete, but bizarre behavior

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue could occur due to incompatible or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods

below which can help us resolving this issue.

Method 1: Perform System Maintenance troubleshooter.

I would suggest you to perform System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all on the left side panel.
    • Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Check in safe mode and clean boot mode of the computer

Method 1: Check in safe mode and clean boot mode of the computer

Step 1: Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.

• Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

• Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click
      advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the
      Safe Mode.

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has
      administrator rights.

You can restart the computer to put it back in
    normal mode.

If the issue doesn’t occur in safe mode, follow step 2.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a “clean boot” in Windows

Refer to Windows 8.1 steps, as they are applicable to Windows 10.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If this lets you log in, follow the steps below.

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If this lets you log in, follow the steps below.

Method 3: Update display adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select
      Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the graphics/display drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your display device.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    Restart the computer and check.

You can get back to us if you have any difficulties in doing the same. We are always here to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Feb 18, 2023
Thema:

WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.

1. WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed. - Similar Threads - has bizarre behavior

2. WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.: Okay so Windows 10 behaves in ways I don't like on apps that refuse to be closed when you try to shut down the computer.Behavior I'm used to is Windows stopping at the 'closing applications' screen and telling me which apps refuse to shut down mostly because of unsaved work...
  3. WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows 10 has bizarre behavior with apps that refuse to be closed.: Okay so Windows 10 behaves in ways I don't like on apps that refuse to be closed when you try to shut down the computer.Behavior I'm used to is Windows stopping at the 'closing applications' screen and telling me which apps refuse to shut down mostly because of unsaved work...
  4. Bizarre unexplainable WiFi behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre unexplainable WiFi behavior: For the past week my WiFi has been acting extremely weird. I have a Netgear router and updated it's firmware in the past week I think I didn't have these issues before then, but it's irrelevant as this doesn't happen on my phone Basically what happens is that whenever I have...
  5. Bizarre unexplainable WiFi behavior

Bizarre unexplainable WiFi behavior: For the past week my WiFi has been acting extremely weird. I have a Netgear router and updated it's firmware in the past week I think I didn't have these issues before then, but it's irrelevant as this doesn't happen on my phone Basically what happens is that whenever I have...
  6. Bizarre unexplainable WiFi behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Onedrive bizarre file behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive bizarre file behavior: I had an incident a few weeks ago where I keep all my personal documents on a computer and Onedrive syncs this to the cloud. I got an email one day that alerted me that a lot of files were deleted. I didn't delete these. The files were completely random and when I compared...
  8. How to close an app that refuses to close?

How to close an app that refuses to close?: 1. Press ctrl+shift+esc to activate task manager 2. Select the app that refuses to close 3. Click on the end task button. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-close-an-app-that-refuses-to-close/7a7667f5-8062-4e0b-815d-880eae448d04
  9. Bizarre mouse/interface behavior

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bizarre mouse/interface behavior: This isn't happening right now, but it's happened three times in the past few days so I'm sure it will happen again soon. Occasionally, the interface and mouse will start behaving in very unusual ways that make navigation near impossible. I'm on a desktop, but I have a...
  10. Windows Live Mail (WLM) Bizarre Behavior

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail (WLM) Bizarre Behavior: I have been using Windows 10 for almost a year with Windows Live Mail as my email client without issue until about 3 weeks ago. Now, there is an intermittent problem: I have 3 accounts linked to my WLM and when doing a send/receive randomly the program will do crazy...