Windows 10: Windows 10 has started randomly freezing in the last month

Discus and support Windows 10 has started randomly freezing in the last month in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a desktop PC which is about 4 years old and I upgraded it to Windows 10 as soon as it was available. I have had no problems since the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kavb, Mar 27, 2016.

1. kavb Win User

Windows 10 has started randomly freezing in the last month

Hi all,

I have a desktop PC which is about 4 years old and I upgraded it to Windows 10 as soon as it was available. I have had no problems since the upgrade until very recently. However in the last month or so, Windows has started freezing randomly after about 20-40 minutes use. There is no obvious pattern of use which triggers the freeze and it's rather odd. It's not a BSOD, it's just that it all becomes unresponsive and greyed out (the mouse cursor still moves). CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work, nor anything else other than holding down the power button until the PC switches off.

I'm no expert, so please let me know what the best way is to diagnose and fix what is going on. I have run the program memtest, as well as avast and malwarebytes, but they have all come up clean.

I suspect it has something to do with the windows updates installed around 6 March as I think it was fine before then. KB3139907 and/or KB3140741 specifically, which I can't uninstall from windows update. Does that seem plausible? And if so, how can I fix it?

Thanks for your help. Happy to provide any info which might be useful.

:)

2. Laptop freezes after automatic windows 10 update

My new laptop has started freezing up after an automatic Windows 10 update last night. This is ridiculous for a two month old computer. Any ideas how to fix it? It's practically useless now.

PrincessQadira, Mar 27, 2016
  3. iziaah Win User
    My mouse keeps freezing in windows 10

I have built my own pc for about a month now my mouse has kept randomly freezing then unfreezing. Sometimes I would have to unplug the cable for it to work again. I have used USB 3.0 ports and the normal USB port. I also have uninstalled the driver many
    times and it only works for a few minutes, it would start randomly freezing after that. Please help

iziaah, Mar 27, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Windows 10 freezes randomly - Windows 10 Forums

This seems to be a very popular issue. Hope this thread can lead you to some answers.

The biggest answer is to do a clean install of the Operating System, as there are tons of issues with the upgrading process.

lmaneke, Mar 28, 2016
  5. In the search box,start typing in Reliability.This will give you reliability history and select it.If there are any flags then select each one individually and check the TECH details.The most common problem is a display driver fault,in particular TDR,{timeout detection and response}.If your card is nvidea,then the error is normally nvlddmkm and you will have to search the nvidea site for a replacement,suitable for your computer.Only install the driver,not the other stuff which comes with it and also check the Clean Install box..If possible,download "whocrashed" from resplendence.com and run it immediately after a freeze.It should list any other faulty drivers.If you prefer,DDU {driver display uninstall} might help.

joeandmarg0, Mar 28, 2016
  6. kavb Win User
    Thanks for the replies, but I'm afraid they haven't helped solve the issue.

The attached screenshot hopefully explains why I think the crashes are being caused by the March Windows update - you can see there were no crashes at all until March 6th, when a bunch of updates were installed, including KB3139907. Since then, it's crashed every time I've used it, without fail... Sadly I can't uninstall KB3139907!

Windows 10 has started randomly freezing in the last month [​IMG]

7. Your history does not show windows failures,it reveals App problems and the miscellaneous failures are caused by the App problems which then cause windows to "shut down unexpectedly".The history also shows successful updates without ANY failures.You need to thoroughly investigate the App failures and the best way is to run "whocrashed" immediately after the event.This will list any/all drivers involved and allow rectification.

joeandmarg0, Mar 30, 2016
  8. Windows 10 has started randomly freezing in the last month

If you have a Restore point which pre-dates the first event,then use it,but first disconnect from the web to stop auto updates.Use Macrium Reflect free edition to clone or image {or both if you are keen},then disconnect the clone drive to protect it.Change the update from Auto to Manual,reconnect to the web and you are now able to selectively install and monitor updates.The final option is to Clean Install,use Brink's comprehensive tutorial on the subject.
    Your system specs are vague,could you amplify it?Knowing only you have a desktop pc with Win10is not very helpful.

joeandmarg0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 has started randomly freezing in the last month - Similar Threads - has started randomly

2. PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting: As the question stated, the PC either or just freezes or just randomly restarts. Been googling this on my brothers PC, could be a disk issue or a virus. We used HDTune to test the disk errors and there were 0 errors, this was done on safemode without networking since I was...
  3. Windows 2019 Server Freezes Randomly after a few Months

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 2019 Server Freezes Randomly after a few Months: We have a Dell Poweredge T440 server for remote desktop users. We have about 20 simultaneous users. The server had been running fine for a few months than all the sudden, everyone is saying the server is lagging. The windows Even Viewer showed Event ID 508/533 that "this...
  4. Lenovo X230 has started freezing with Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lenovo X230 has started freezing with Windows 10: My computer has recently started freezing using Windows 10. It will un-freeze after a minute or two. I have tried updating drivers and checking hardware. I restored Windows. I then formatted my drive and re-installed Windows. Nothing makes any difference. I thought the laptop...
  5. Random BSOD For Last Month On RYZEN 2700X

Random BSOD For Last Month On RYZEN 2700X: Windows Version: 1909 CPU: AMD RYZEN 2700X (Not overclocked) RAM: 24GB CORSAIR DDR4 (2133 MHz) (Not overclocked) Hi everyone, For the past month, my computer has been getting random Blue Screens Of Death, but with no obvious culprit that I can find. The error codes I'm...
  6. Windows 10 Randomly freezes on start up

Windows 10 Randomly freezes on start up: So I've ran into a problem recently where windows 10 will randomly freeze on start up and I am unable for the life of me find the cause. It will happen shortly after my mobo hands everything off to windows which it gives the boot code A0 which should mean everything completed...
  7. Starting a few months ago, shortly after the next to last Windows 10 update, I started...

Starting a few months ago, shortly after the next to last Windows 10 update, I started...: I get these blue screen error messages telling me that there was an error and the computer has to restart. In the beginning it was only occasionally but the past day or two it has become at least a few a day. The stop code is not always the same and on the Microsoft stop...
  8. Random BSODs/Windows 10 Freezing for months - Can't get to the bottom of it

Random BSODs/Windows 10 Freezing for months - Can't get to the bottom of it: Since building my PC back in February, I have been getting random BSODs which for the life of me I can't figure out why are they happening nor when. They seem totally random and I can't reproduce them on demand. They can occur daily, weekly, or even bi-weekly. Sometimes they...
  9. Windows 10 keeps permanently freezing - has been happening for months now.

Windows 10 keeps permanently freezing - has been happening for months now.: I have an HP Pavilion with an Intel Core i5 processor which came pre-installed with Windows 10 and for the last few months it's been randomly freezing totally nearly everyday (on some days it freezes twice or rarely three times) and I have to shut down by holding the Power...
  10. Random BSOD for the last month

Random BSOD for the last month: Hey Guys, My PC keeps randomly BSODing mainly from DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 00000000`00000000. Have tried different GPU & RAM. Have even done a fresh install to no avail any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 75875