Windows 10: Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.

Discus and support Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Long story short: In 2018 I Installed Windows 10 on an internal HD, and the system had an external USB dock with a 4TB drive attached. After 2 days of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/aaabbbx, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.

Long story short:

In 2018 I Installed Windows 10 on an internal HD, and the system had an external USB dock with a 4TB drive attached. After 2 days of use, Windows 10 decided to helpfully 'repair' the 4TB drive. Forcing me to buy a 8TB drive to clone the 4TB drive, then recover all the files due to the file partition table being fucked.

(Used Rawcopy + DMDE for the process).

Today when I booted my computer, I stupidly had the external dock USB 'powered' and Windows 10 decided to helpfully 'Repair' the external dock 4TB drive again.

So now It is back to DMDE and I have to buy a new 8TB drive (as the old one is full) to do the whole fucking thing again.

Between these dates there never were any problems.

Is there a way to make windows 10 NOT fuck up external drives, outside of not having the device powered up during bootup?

I assume it is running chkdsk, so maybe there is a way to kill that piece of ....

For reference: I ran with the same USB dock under windows 8.1 and never had any issues during all the years 8.1 worked (Before I needed Gsync w. Freesync)

submitted by /u/aaabbbx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/aaabbbx, Sep 9, 2020
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Sep 10, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

Because this is seen as a USB Root Hub external, look at this setting and adjust if necessary. Make sure the device is plugged in, powered on, etc. All ready. Go to Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus, USB Root Hub, and check this setting. If not checked, check it. This may be the issue.

Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive. [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Sep 10, 2020
  4. BretMan Win User

Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.

How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

Hello,

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature which will put it into sleep mode after 30 minutes of inactivity which isn't working.

I asked Inateck and they said there's no special driver for this function and it's part of the dock's circuitry. The only thing that would prevent it from going into sleep mode is if it's being accessed.

The only program I use to intentionally access connected drives is Hard Disk Sentinel, which monitors drive health. I tried turning this app off but the dock still won't sleep. The drive/s in the dock list in Windows File Explorer and Disk Manager ok. I also use Windows Defender and Firewall.

I don't see anything in Settings that shows adjustment to sleep mode for external drives.. Could Explorer, Defender or Firewall be accessing the dock? Or, is there possibly some background Windows process accessing it?

Please advise.

Thank you.

BretMan, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.

1. Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive. - Similar Threads - hates external usb

2. external hard drive connected by usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive connected by usb: How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-connected-by-usb/57ede349-6ed9-4cb0-bf8d-d9d999cf1157
  3. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  4. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  5. USB external hard drive not migrating

USB external hard drive not migrating: Ok i have looked and tried every solution that I can find. My external hard drive- NAND USB2DISK USB Device is showing as Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. I have done the device manager step, it shows up however states it is running properly and no updates are...
  6. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.: Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature...
  7. File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock.: Hi Folks, Had a disaster with my hard drive (again.... second failed drive in as many years... not impressed with Dell.....) I managed to get the machine up and running with a drive from my old Asus laptop. Installed Windows10, downloaded & installed the apps I like to...
  8. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  9. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  10. Hard drive dock

Hard drive dock: I have a hard drive dock and just got a new computer. What will happen if I try to put my old hard drive in to the usb hard drive dock? will it be usable or do I need to format it first? 41127