Windows 10: Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name

Discus and support Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several windows 10 computer on the LAN and a linux file server with a samba share. On two laptops, when I open the file explorer, it list all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by John2019_385, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name

I have several windows 10 computer on the LAN and a linux file server with a samba share. On two laptops, when I open the file explorer, it list all the computers on the network, including the samba server, all in upper case, both on the left hand side panel and also in the top right side 'Computers' section.

When I click these computer names, most of them work as expected, asks credential and then let me access shared drive. Only on the samba server, when I click on it's name, it always shows an error message: "Windows cannot access \\SERVER" where server is the name of the samba server. In the details box, it shows an error code '0x80070035', the network path was not found.

But, if I type \\SERVER (in upper or lower case) into the address bar in the file explorer, it works as expected, shows me all the shared contents from the server. And also, after this initial connection, clicking on the upper case SERVER name on the left side panel works.

:)

John2019_385, Jan 20, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

Hi there

Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition.

You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates the names !!!!

Music will play though with VLC etc. But as VLC uses file explorer to browse files you get the ones with the shortened names.

I'm not sure though you would want to copy / move these files from the Windows system with Windows explorer though.

Original files (from Centos VM)

Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name [​IMG]

File explorer showing from "Attach Network Drive"

Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share on Linux Workstation

Hello Simon,

To better assist you, kindly provide the following information:

• What version of Samba Share are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have your done so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Jan 20, 2019
  4. Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name

Can't connect to Samba shares

Cannot connect to Samba shares since upgrading to windows 10 on 3 systems.

We have several Windows 8.1 and more than 100 Windows 7 system that can connect.

It seem that Windows 10 cannot see the Samba server the error is "Windows cannot access Server"

The Windows 10 systems can ping the name of the server so it is being resolved.

Very frustrating. Like the speed but less compatible than previous Windows versions.

Been checking the forum but see no answers to this issue for Windows 10.

Thanks.

Brad

BradleyRTaylor, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name

1. Windows 10 having trouble access samba shared with upper case name - Similar Threads - having trouble access

2. how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11: When saving file name with all CAPS and "_" to separate words, it will convert. all letters after first character to lowercase, I want the whole file name to be in CAPS. Thanks,Bill P...
  3. how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change file names from lower case to upper case in windows 11: When saving file name with all CAPS and "_" to separate words, it will convert. all letters after first character to lowercase, I want the whole file name to be in CAPS. Thanks,Bill P...
  4. %COMPUTERNAME% returning upper case name

in Windows 10 Support
    %COMPUTERNAME% returning upper case name: My computers have mixed case names and I use these mixed case names in directories on some NAS devices. I wanted to use these names in some .bat files and would prefer to have the same .bat files on each computer rather than custom files on each computer. But I just...
  5. App to convert lower case to upper case

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    App to convert lower case to upper case: Hello, I have the need to convert lower case folder names to upper case in Windows 10 File Explorer on a Surface Pro 3. I found a few on line. Does anyone have experience with a free one that you would recommend? Thanks!...
  6. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  7. Creating a samba share in windows 10

Creating a samba share in windows 10: I've been using unauthenticated samba share on my computer for well over a decade using windows 7, vista, and XP (and maybe even further back) to network with various devices in another room via an ethernet cable. I believe Microsoft removed unauthenticated samba shares from...
  8. Can't access Samba shares on 10049

Can't access Samba shares on 10049: I just reinstalled after I was having issues. Everything seems to be working smoothly, except that I can't access the shares on all but one of my other computers for some reason. Most devices that aren't running either some flavor of Windows or Samba show up just fine. I...
  9. Upper/Lower case swaps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Upper/Lower case swaps: Ok...no help with my last problem with 65143
  10. Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!: Hi there Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition. You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates the names !!!! Music will play though with VLC etc. But as VLC uses file explorer to browse files you get the ones with the...