Windows 10: Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable

Discus and support Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a Windows 10 Alienware R7 desktop and I had my operating system on a SSD drive. I cloned the Windows OS to a 2TB HDD that is also in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by verizon10, Apr 14, 2020.

1. verizon10 Win User

Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable

Hi there,

I have a Windows 10 Alienware R7 desktop and I had my operating system on a SSD drive. I cloned the Windows OS to a 2TB HDD that is also in my desktop because I would like to dual boot Ubuntu and want Ubuntu to be installed on the SSD instead of Windows. The tool I used to clone was AOMEI Backupper Standard. As many others, I am unable to boot from the newly cloned HDD drive in the UEFI. I have both drives in the computer because it came with it and I don't want to try to disconnect the SSD because I don't even know how. When I try to change the boot order in the UEfI it only says bootable media; this is connected to the original Windows OS on the SSD. I was hoping to see different drives to select but I don't.

I've read so many threads that all say different things and I think it has to do with the EFI not cloning properly or something like that. I have no clue what to do but I think that the fix is something with diskpart, FAT32, assigning a letter and mounting a volume; not sure though because I don't know which partitions that should be done to. I tried to make the HDD system partition "active" but then I got an error about needing to change the disk to MBR. I read that some people suggest changing the disk from GPT to MBR but I don't think this is my case because my computer has UEFI and my original Windows 10 installation boots from a GPT drive so I don't think I should be changing it; seems like I should if I had BIOS.

I am completely lost and have spent 2 days trying to figure this out. Here is a picture of my disk management. if anybody has the answer that would be awesome.

Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable [​IMG]

Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable [​IMG]

:)

verizon10, Apr 14, 2020
  2. holahapi Win User

Clonezilla Windows 10 Clone not bootable

I am cloning my Windows 10 OS partition.

My HDD have
    450MB Recovery partition
    100MB EFI System partition
    (C: 239.2GB NTFS (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

I cloned (C: ) to an External HDD, however it is not bootable.
    Should I also clone other partitions for able to work or I missing some steps?

holahapi, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Bootable Cloned HDD transfer to New PC with different MOBO and Processors

I clone my HDD in a bootable format on a regular basis as a backup should my HDD fail. My computer is now 7 years old and it needs to be replaced. I plan to build a new machine. Obviously the MOBO and processor will be quite different. How can I transfer
    my cloned HDD with Windows 10 to the new machine and associate the Win 10 license with the new machine? In the activation section of my Windows 10 settings it says that my license is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account.

MechEngr21, Apr 14, 2020
  4. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable - Similar Threads - HDD clone bootable

2. Making a bootable clone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making a bootable clone: I want to clone my c: drive to an external hard drive and then use the external drive as a boot drive. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-a-bootable-clone/c1231084-ab3e-4156-a3e7-51b2959a3df4
  3. Cloned Drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  4. Cloned Drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  5. Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable

Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable: Hi there, I have a Windows 10 Alienware R7 desktop and I had my operating system on a SSD drive. I cloned the Windows OS to a 2TB HDD that is also in my desktop because I would like to dual boot Ubuntu and want Ubuntu to be installed on the SSD instead of Windows. The tool I...
  6. Cloning hdd ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning hdd ?: Hello I just bought a 3tb hdd and I want to move/ copy all my games from one hdd to another. So the question is is it possible to transfer just games to new hdd without re-downloading all the games. Also I plan on wiping old hdd clean for to use as another storage device on...
  7. cloning a HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning a HDD: I have tried the following cloning software (aomei, Marium Reflect 7; MiniTool; Easeus TODO; clonezilla. they all have one thing in common, they don't produce a bootable/recogizable drive. Any ideas on how i can resolve the replacement of my laptop HDD? Cheers/Thanks...
  8. Using Macrium7 (free) to clone main 1TB HDD to 3TB HDD -make bootable?

Using Macrium7 (free) to clone main 1TB HDD to 3TB HDD -make bootable?: Hello all, So I'm simply trying to upgrade from a 1 TB HDD to a 3 TB HDD. I was hoping, rather than backing up all of my data, and doing a fresh install of windows, then reinstalling everything - to instead do a simple clone, but make my main data partition bigger, taking...
  9. Clonezilla Windows 10 Clone not bootable

Clonezilla Windows 10 Clone not bootable: I am cloning my Windows 10 OS partition. My HDD have 450MB Recovery partition 100MB EFI System partition (C: 239.2GB NTFS (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) I cloned (C: ) to an External HDD, however it is not bootable. Should I also clone other...
  10. Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD

Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD: This thread is a continuation of another thread in BSOD. This is getting stranger and stranger. I took the SSD out of my primary PC and put it in my secondary Windows7 PC and cloned the OS. I then booted from the SSD without any problems. Then I put the SSD back into...