Windows 10: Windows 10 HDMI audio through second monitor

Discus and support Windows 10 HDMI audio through second monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two monitors, one connected through displayport, one connected through HDMI. The second monitor has speakers connected to it and is used as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NickFarrington, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 HDMI audio through second monitor

I have two monitors, one connected through displayport, one connected through HDMI. The second monitor has speakers connected to it and is used as the sound output, this is set as the default sound device NVIDIA High Definition Audio. The monitors are used as extended displays next to each other. I am on the latest version of WIndows 10 as at June 2020 and the hardware troubleshooter reports no issues. Sound works fine when the computer comes on.

My issue is that if I leave the computer and it goes onto the screensaver or the power saving mode monitor switch off, when I come back to the computer the sound has gone missing - I get no sound. There are two workarounds for this, either reboot the computer, or go to display settings, change the monitor situation from "extend these displays" to "show only on 1", say "keep", then set it back to "extend these displays" and click "keep". The latter seems to reset the monitor situation and the sound comes back.

Windows 10 is not handling the screensaver / power saving situation with multiple monitors and HDMI sound. Please fix.

:)

NickFarrington, Jun 29, 2020

2. PC to TV through HDMI

Hi,

Have you tried to reconfigure your audio settings? If not, try to change your audio output settings to HDMI by following the steps below:

• Press Windows ( ) key + X.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Click Hardware & Sound.
    • Click Manage Audio Devices.
    • Select the HDMI device listed under the Playback tab.
    • Click Set as default and click Ok.

Also, we suggest to update your audio driver.

Let us know how it goes.

Jessica Kal, Jun 29, 2020
  3. AC_10 Win User
    Second monitor not working with HDMI

Hi,

I have tried the above steps but still the monitor is not detected.

When I plug it to the tv through hdmi, it is displayed, but not to the monitor.

Regards,

AC_10, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Windows 10 HDMI audio through second monitor

HDMI to DVI Monitor Will Not Play Audio

Thanks for the suggestions, Deepika. I have a Samsung SyncMaster HDTV monitor and a SHARP monitor. I'm trying to get audio on the Samsung HDTV. I'm not sure if you need an audio cable when connecting to the HDTV. Anyways, I kept it on the television. Either
    way, it doesn't work. I ran the troubleshooter, and there isn't any problems. I tested all the cables yesterday, and everything works as usual. How are the HDMI cables supposed to connect and work with video and audio? Is there a driver problem? I believe
    it might be because my monitor is in the DVI port, instead of an HDMI. This is why it's not detecting on the sounds/playback devices. Plugging an audio cable in the secondary monitor with VGA works, but using an HDMI for the television does not. Using VGA
    for the television does work with audio. Not sure what the problem is, or if I have to plug the audio cable in the HDTV at all. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

UPDATE: Figured out the problem, testing. The HDMI cable although supports audio and video, the DVI connector
    does not. Because of this, the computer detects it as a DVI connection. It instead uses the regular audio cable. The television, however, does not. It detects HDMI first, and uses that as as the audio. Since there is no coming through the DVI
    connector and instead coming through the audio cable, it won't play anything. This can be half solved by changing the source device (source>edit name) on the Samsung television to HDMI DVI. This, however, does not fix it, as sound still doesn't come out. The
    computer still has to be changed to be able to play audio properly. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

ThomasChen_395, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 HDMI audio through second monitor

1. Windows 10 HDMI audio through second monitor - Similar Threads - HDMI audio through

2. Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher: I would like to use my 4x1 HDMI switch with my laptop and my Nintendo Switch into an external monitor. With my wiring as it currently stands, My laptop screen is extended to the external monitor while my Nintendo Switch is not in use. When I use the HDMI switch to play on my...
  3. Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher: I would like to use my 4x1 HDMI switch with my laptop and my Nintendo Switch into an external monitor. With my wiring as it currently stands, My laptop screen is extended to the external monitor while my Nintendo Switch is not in use. When I use the HDMI switch to play on my...
  4. HDMI Audio on Monitor with No Speaker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI Audio on Monitor with No Speaker: Hi guys, anyone know how can i use hdmi audio when i connects to a monitor without audio? Iss there a setting to set it manually either on win 10 settings or nvidea. Control panel? submitted by /u/fetpotatoh [link] [comments]...
  5. No monitor audio through Displayport, HDMI audio works perfectly fine.

No monitor audio through Displayport, HDMI audio works perfectly fine.: Recently, my monitor stopped outputting sound through Displayport. It worked for a long time, but it just randomly stopped one day. It works completely fine through my HDMI cable, though. I have made sure everything is enabled, I have updated all of my drivers, I have...
  6. Run PC and HDMI audio through headphones on Windows 10?

Run PC and HDMI audio through headphones on Windows 10?: So I'm trying to get my computer to play both the PC audio and the HDMI audio to my headphones. So I want to be able to be in a Discord call on my computer and hear audio from my Nintendo Switch, both through my headphones. What is the best way to do this? Thanks. submitted...
  7. HDMI/Second Monitor/Sound Issues

HDMI/Second Monitor/Sound Issues: Recently on two different computers, I've attempted to connect a second monitor with HDMI and runi into major problems. On one computer, I was able to get a picture but no sound. On the second computer, I got nothing. No picture, no sound, no connection at all. I've...
  8. Issue: Audio not passing through to HDMI on to TV

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue: Audio not passing through to HDMI on to TV: Hi, So, I am new this here and I am not entirely sure if this is the correct place to put this. I encountered this issue about 4 months ago and just haven't bothered to try seeking further help after trying to resolve the issue myself and then searching through 100's of...
  9. Monitor Switches To TV Through HDMI Automatically

Monitor Switches To TV Through HDMI Automatically: I want to set up my computer so I can leave an HDMI cable connected between my PC and TV. The problem is whenever I turn on my TV the PC will transfer over to my TV automatically. Is there a way to set it up so the monitor will only transfer over to the TV when I tell it to?...
  10. Audio is not playing through hdmi connected tv

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio is not playing through hdmi connected tv: I have my laptop HP 15-f039wm Notebook PC and have it hooked up to my Panasonic tv. The display is there yet the sound only plays through the laptop. I have gone into playback devices yet no hdmi output is listed even when showing hidden and disabled. I went through...