Windows 10: Windows 10 HDMI output only works on a few Smart TVs

Discus and support Windows 10 HDMI output only works on a few Smart TVs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 running the latest version of Windows 10. I've been projecting to a duplicate display monitor for 4 years. A couple months... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nubehiker, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Nubehiker Win User

Windows 10 HDMI output only works on a few Smart TVs

I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 running the latest version of Windows 10. I've been projecting to a duplicate display monitor for 4 years. A couple months ago, the projection stopped working after a Windows 10 update. At first I thought it was the update and backed out the update, still didn't work. Then I suspected the HDMI circuitry or cable. I switched the cable, still didn't work. Then I tried connecting a Samsung Series 6 TV and it WORKED! I've tried various TVs and monitors over the last month and have found Samsung Series 6 and Series 7 work, but Visio, TLC, and other Samsung TVs don't work.

Anyone have any idea why only certain TVs work with my Windows 10 HDMI output? Any suggestions for a solution so I can go back to my original monitor would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Nubehiker, Nov 21, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

HDMI audio output to Sony TV

Hi,

One possible reason why your HDMI audio output was not working due to outdated drivers. To isolate your issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when you tried to connect your computer to your TV?
    • Have you tried updating your HDMI audio driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Nov 21, 2020
  3. connecting smart TV with windows 10 PC using HDMI cable

Hi Shirley,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below-listed questions and get back to us.

1. What is the make and model number of your TV and your computer?
    2. Do you get any error message on the TV or on your computer when trying to connect the computer and TV using HDMI Cable?
    3. We appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps, so could you let us know what troubleshooting steps you have already tried?

Meanwhile, follow the below steps and see if this helps.

Before trying the below steps, turn off your computer as well as your TV.

Step 1: Plug one end of the HDMI Port in the TV and the other to the computers HDMI Port. Then, turn on both your computer as well as TV.

Note: Make sure that the TV is set to the exact HDMI Channel from the Input Settings (refer your TV manual).

Step 2: Once you perform the Step 1, the computer should output its screen automatically to the TV. If it failed to do so, then follow below steps.

Step 3: Press the Windows key and the R key from your keyboard and type
    Control and hit Enter.

Step 4: Switch the View by Category to
    Small icons
    > Click on Display > On the left pane, click on
    Adjust resolution.

Step 5: Under Display, click on the drop-down list and choose your TV name select the appropriate resolution for the TV to display.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Windows 10 HDMI output only works on a few Smart TVs

Connecting a windows 10 laptop to a smart tv using a hdmi cable

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

HDMI cables do support audio signals, but not all HDMI-enabled video cards support audio. If your HDTV has an audio input, you might be able to connect a separate audio cable from your computer's sound card directly to the TV. Otherwise, you'll need to
    connect the audio signal to a different output device, such as external computer speakers or your home stereo system. Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1
    I suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by Karthik Vengaloor and Kaplana from the following link and check if it helps.
    Windows 8 audio through a hdmi cable doesn't work on desktop

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

if issue persists,

Method 2

Let’s first check if “HDMI Output” is selected as the default device.

Follow these steps:

1. Click Start and select Control Panel.

2. On the right hand side of the screen, under View by:, click the drop-down icon and select Large icons.

3. Click Sound.

If you do not have the HDMI Output listed under “Playback” tab, right click in the playback window and select Show Disabled Device and Show Disconnected Device.

If the HDMI Output option appears, right-click HDMI Output and select Default Device.

Now the audio must be playing on HDMI.

For more information, see Connect your computer to a TV

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 HDMI output only works on a few Smart TVs

1. Windows 10 HDMI output only works on a few Smart TVs - Similar Threads - HDMI output works

2. HDMI output stopped not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI output stopped not working: HDMI output stopped not working after windows 11 update. I cannot detect my monitor and all my device drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output-stopped-not-working/b2a38766-95ff-41ba-9024-05ae0a4acc91
  3. HDMI output stopped not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI output stopped not working: HDMI output stopped not working after windows 11 update. I cannot detect my monitor and all my device drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output-stopped-not-working/b2a38766-95ff-41ba-9024-05ae0a4acc91
  4. hdmi output

in Windows 10 Customization
    hdmi output: i am not getting any sound or video from my hdmi. what should i try? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output/aa63273e-1a66-495a-b272-d3d32d8495fb
  5. HDMI output stopped working

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI output stopped working: Hello, I have an Asus TH101A with intel HD graphics from Atom X5-Z8350 CPU. My HDMI otuput is not working anymore. I know it's not a faulty hardware because I tested it on a linux live USB. I tested 3 drivers. One from ASUS (version 20.19.15.4364), one from windows update...
  6. Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?: Hello, sorry, I don't know if this is a Windows driver question or graphic card related support. I have a weird setup and it's the following: I have a Laptop Dell G5 with RTX 2060 and I use the DVI port for a monitor. I have a samsung soundbar and I have it connected via...
  7. HDMI Output quit working

HDMI Output quit working: We have been watching a series on Amazon Prime Video for 3 days and now my laptop just quit sending the screen video and audio through the HDMI port to our TV. Any ideas how to check or fix the HDMI port?...
  8. HDMI output

HDMI output: I'm trying to run a projector from my Windows 10 laptop using HDMI to HDMI cable. The projector only shows background and taskbar. Using VGA to VGA cable worked fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output/b3789904-ff58-4127-8138-ead5ae41f305
  9. 480p output on HDMI in Windows 10

480p output on HDMI in Windows 10: I am unable to set a resolution lower than 800*600 pixels when connecting an external display via HDMI. I want to set a resolution of 640*480 pixels. Such as option is not available in the display setting menu. How can I set the output resolution to 640*480 pixels?...
  10. TVs go black for a few seconds

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    TVs go black for a few seconds: I have a Windows 10 64-bit ASUS installed in a church. It's primary function is to play video. As such, I have a 24" monitor hooked up through a DVI cable, which sits at our audio/video console. Then I have HDMI out running into an HDMI to SDI converter, which runs to an SDI...