Windows 10: Windows 10 HDR & SDR

Discus and support Windows 10 HDR & SDR in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi i would like to know is it possible in windows 10 to watch a HDR content on a SDR monitor so it looks like a proper SDR content. Because more and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jursleglov, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Windows 10 HDR & SDR

Hi i would like to know is it possible in windows 10 to watch a HDR content on a SDR monitor so it looks like a proper SDR content.

Because more and more movies is HDR and on my HDR tv it is all great even in windows playing HDR content AND SDR content on HDR screen works properly. Problem is when playing HDR content on normal pc monitor picture is way to dark contrast is all wrong. Yea i can fix it in some way in the players with the brightness and gamma sliders but it still doesnt look like the original sdr content.

I would like to fix this issue because soon al my video content will be in HDR but i am not always vieving this on HDR screen. Sometimes i would like to watch it on my phone or my pc or my friends house and in all those places with SDR screens looks way worse than a normal SDR content.

:)

jursleglov, Oct 29, 2019
  2. gamerk2 Win User

HDR fullscreen problems

Version: Windows 10 17134

GPU: NVIDIA 1080 Ti (Driver 397.31)

Display: LG OLED 55" B6P

Problem: Windows HDR implementation barely works properly. Here's a list of issues I've seen so far:

1: SDR applications that are not exclusive fullscreen start in HDR mode, distorting the colors. If an OS overlay [such as the volume overlay] come up, the display will go blank until the overlay dissapears.

2: SDR applications that are exclusive fullscreen go blank. From what I can see, my display is in SDR mode, so I'm guessing there's a mismatch between Windows trying to output HDR content and the display receiving it. [And no, the problem is on Windows
    end; the display can handle HDR just fine on other systems]

3: I've had a case where an SDR application, on exit, somehow resulted in the system HDR setting being disabled. I've also had another case where on exit the system is reporting its in HDR mode, but outputting SDR even on the desktop.

So in short: Windows is not managing HDR properly.

gamerk2, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Hello moderator

1. Its all the games I own that don't support HDR10. Basically when I full screen on a non-HDR game, the screen goes black for a few seconds and HDR gets disabled and all the colors looked washed out (Like its in SDR)

I took 2 screenshots, One is in window mode, the other is in full screen

Windowed mode (HDR on) : Imgur

Full screen mode (HDR off) : Imgur

2. Yes SDR looks washed out. I want to play my games in full screen and in HDR. Playing in windowed mode is a nightmare

3. I know because the monitor goes black for a few seconds and all the colors look washed out (As shown in the screenshots)

Sadly the fixes did not work Windows 10 HDR & SDR :(

I updated the GPU drivers via GeForce Experience app.

My Monitor does support 4k HDR10

I tried lower the resolution and the refresh rate but that did not work.

Here is a video of my problem

YouTube Link :

Time Stamps :

0:00 HDR mode is on everything looks fine (In the video, when it looks high contrast, that means HDR is on)

0:35 I full screen the game. If you notice the high contrast is no longer there, the colors are washed out

0:46 I disable full screen and HDR mode is back on

*HDR looks high contrast, Ignore that, that's just the video itself.

Im also using windows 10 64bit 1809

WillyMcFly, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10 HDR & SDR

Problem with HDR in full screen mode

In full screen games HDR mode gets disabled and all the colors are washed out. But in Windows Mode HDR mode
    gets enabled and the SDR game runs in HDR

David Karki, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 HDR & SDR

1. Windows 10 HDR & SDR - Similar Threads - HDR SDR

2. Microsoft 4k Wireless Display Adpater Forces ST2084 HDR with no option to change to SDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 4k Wireless Display Adpater Forces ST2084 HDR with no option to change to SDR: I have a microsoft wireless 4k display adapter connected to an external portable monitor that support hdr through this weird ST2084 protocol, so it is not true HDR. When using the display adapter, it automatically adjusts the colors on the display adapater to the 2084 range,...
  3. Microsoft 4k Wireless Display Adpater Forces ST2084 HDR with no option to change to SDR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft 4k Wireless Display Adpater Forces ST2084 HDR with no option to change to SDR: I have a microsoft wireless 4k display adapter connected to an external portable monitor that support hdr through this weird ST2084 protocol, so it is not true HDR. When using the display adapter, it automatically adjusts the colors on the display adapater to the 2084 range,...
  4. HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application: Good day all, Context:I have 3 identical monitors running in "Extended display" mode that support HDR. "Use HDR" is turned on in Windows Display Settings, and "SDR content brightness" is set to 55.Issue:When I launch an application in full screen that doesn't support HDR thus...
  5. HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application

HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application: Good day all, Context:I have 3 identical monitors running in "Extended display" mode that support HDR. "Use HDR" is turned on in Windows Display Settings, and "SDR content brightness" is set to 55.Issue:When I launch an application in full screen that doesn't support HDR thus...
  6. HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...: I have the Alienware AW3423DW in HDR Peak 1000 mode. Here are the steps to replicate the issue:The relevant system information is as follows:Windows 10 version 21H2Nvidia GPU with GeForce Game Ready Driver version 528.021. Power on computer with HDR already enabled in Windows...
  7. HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...

HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...: I have the Alienware AW3423DW in HDR Peak 1000 mode. Here are the steps to replicate the issue:The relevant system information is as follows:Windows 10 version 21H2Nvidia GPU with GeForce Game Ready Driver version 528.021. Power on computer with HDR already enabled in Windows...
  8. HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Screenshot with HDR enabled is washed out. The SDR content brightness slider is to blame.

Screenshot with HDR enabled is washed out. The SDR content brightness slider is to blame.: I currently use a Dell Alienware AW423DW QDOLED display that fully supports HDR on Win 11 Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000HDR itself works fine, but when I take a screenshot with either print screen or a 3rd party tool, its washed out.It also causes stuff like websites Even...
  10. Screenshot with HDR enabled is washed out. The SDR content brightness slider is to blame.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screenshot with HDR enabled is washed out. The SDR content brightness slider is to blame.: I currently use a Dell Alienware AW423DW QDOLED display that fully supports HDR on Win 11 Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000HDR itself works fine, but when I take a screenshot with either print screen or a 3rd party tool, its washed out.It also causes stuff like websites Even...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 hdr video on sdr screen

2. windows 10 18362 et hdr