Windows 10: Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones

Discus and support Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. Not sure if this is the right section for the question - considered graphics, but it's not exactly that. Anyway, here goes... I've purchased a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pokora22, May 2, 2020.

1. Pokora22 Win User

Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones

Hi all.
    Not sure if this is the right section for the question - considered graphics, but it's not exactly that. Anyway, here goes...

I've purchased a new monitor (Dell S3220DGF) with HDR capability. I currently have 3 screens plugged: The new Dell monitor, my old MSI monitor (which does not have HDR) and a TCL TV that can do HDR, but it's bad enough that I do not want it on.

My problem is that whenever I switch HDR on the Dell monitor in Windows settings and go full screen on a YouTube video, all screens switch to HDR mode. Including the two that have the settings turned off. The TV turns it's HDR on automatically and the MSI monitor goes black screen completely and needs to be switched off/on.

So far it only happens on YouTube - don't have much to test on and don't really know where to even begin troubleshooting something random like this.

Any ideas on what might be the cause, or what part of the system is even at fault. Is it YouTube settings? Is it Windows? Is it drivers? I'm very very lost and I would appreciate any input from the community.

:)

Pokora22, May 2, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to use HDR settings

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The image that you have provided shows the 'Display capabilities' of the display that is currently connected. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Are you connecting the TV as a secondary monitor?
    • Was there any change or an update on your system before which you were able to change the options in the Windows HD Color setting section?

Meanwhile, there are a few requirements that have to be in place for you to be able to notice a change in the Display capabilities. I would suggest you to refer the article on

HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10
    and check if it is helpful to you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 2, 2020
  3. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Hello moderator

1. Its all the games I own that don't support HDR10. Basically when I full screen on a non-HDR game, the screen goes black for a few seconds and HDR gets disabled and all the colors looked washed out (Like its in SDR)

I took 2 screenshots, One is in window mode, the other is in full screen

Windowed mode (HDR on) : Imgur

Full screen mode (HDR off) : Imgur

2. Yes SDR looks washed out. I want to play my games in full screen and in HDR. Playing in windowed mode is a nightmare

3. I know because the monitor goes black for a few seconds and all the colors look washed out (As shown in the screenshots)

Sadly the fixes did not work Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones :(

I updated the GPU drivers via GeForce Experience app.

My Monitor does support 4k HDR10

I tried lower the resolution and the refresh rate but that did not work.

Here is a video of my problem

YouTube Link :

Time Stamps :

0:00 HDR mode is on everything looks fine (In the video, when it looks high contrast, that means HDR is on)

0:35 I full screen the game. If you notice the high contrast is no longer there, the colors are washed out

0:46 I disable full screen and HDR mode is back on

*HDR looks high contrast, Ignore that, that's just the video itself.

Im also using windows 10 64bit 1809

WillyMcFly, May 2, 2020
  4. Thagstrom Win User

Thagstrom, May 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones - Similar Threads - HDR settings apply

2. Is Windows 11 possibly mishandling monitors HDR capabilities ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows 11 possibly mishandling monitors HDR capabilities ?: Hey there, I have an issue that I've been dealing with possibly since the beginning of using my monitor that I've bought. It's a cooler master tempest gp27q with 1.4.1 FW update. But I also own a second monitor 34GP950G by LG. The issue: The main monitor GP27Q is rated for...
  3. Is Windows 11 possibly mishandling monitors HDR capabilities ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Windows 11 possibly mishandling monitors HDR capabilities ?: Hey there, I have an issue that I've been dealing with possibly since the beginning of using my monitor that I've bought. It's a cooler master tempest gp27q with 1.4.1 FW update. But I also own a second monitor 34GP950G by LG. The issue: The main monitor GP27Q is rated for...
  4. Can I use a All in One PC's HDR capabilities if I use it as a monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use a All in One PC's HDR capabilities if I use it as a monitor?: For my first pc i used to use laptop, I got an AIO all in one. I now have bought a better pc, that is not an AIO. My other external monitor doesn't have HDR, and this one does. However, I cannot seem to access it using an external pc. Is it possible to use the HDR...
  5. Can I use a All in One PC's HDR capabilities if I use it as a monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use a All in One PC's HDR capabilities if I use it as a monitor?: For my first pc i used to use laptop, I got an AIO all in one. I now have bought a better pc, that is not an AIO. My other external monitor doesn't have HDR, and this one does. However, I cannot seem to access it using an external pc. Is it possible to use the HDR...
  6. HDR Capable Monitor and Windows 10 aren't working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR Capable Monitor and Windows 10 aren't working: I recently brought the newly released Asus XG32VC monitor and love it. Now with this monitor HDR works fine and how it is supposed to be on SRGB mode but if I select Racing mode and turn HDR on, my screen gets a yellow tint over it which I can't get rid of. I have done lots...
  7. Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones: Hi all. Not sure if this is the right section for the question - considered graphics, but it's not exactly that. Anyway, here goes... I've purchased a new monitor (Dell S3220DGF) with HDR capability. I currently have 3 screens plugged: The new Dell monitor, my old MSI...
  8. Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 HDR settings apply to all screens, not just capable ones: Hi all. I've purchased a new monitor Dell S3220DGF with HDR capability. I currently have 3 screens plugged: The new Dell monitor, my old MSI monitor which does not have HDR and a TCL TV that can do HDR, but it's bad enough that I do not want it on. My problem is that...
  9. Is there a way to change HDR settings? I have HDR-streaming capable display, but I cannot...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to change HDR settings? I have HDR-streaming capable display, but I cannot...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Carbon_Trioxide [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g6mirc/is_there_a_way_to_change_hdr_settings_i_have/
  10. HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable: The option HDR/WCG is not available under Windows 10 RS4 and disabled under Win10 RS5 build 17713. In here my equipment: Display TV: Samsung TV UHD HDR UE55MU7005TXXC (w/latest firmware: 1221.0). UHD Color function is active for HDMI. HDMI Cable: UGreen 4K HDR 60Hz Cable...