Windows 10: Windows 10 // Headphones Do Not Work

Discus and support Windows 10 // Headphones Do Not Work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Approximately 2 months ago, while using my headphones playing a game on my Windows 10 laptop, my headphones stopped working. I unplugged them, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JS_009, Jul 27, 2020.

1. JS_009 Win User

Windows 10 // Headphones Do Not Work

Approximately 2 months ago, while using my headphones playing a game on my Windows 10 laptop, my headphones stopped working. I unplugged them, and sound came on through the laptop speakers. Plugged the headphones back in, RealTek acknowledged a "device" was plugged in, but I could no longer see the headphones listed in devices or properties. Since then it has been a nonstop frustration-fest of trying to figure out why the headphones don't work anymore.

I have utilized the reset PC feature multiple times and the start fresh feature multiple times. Upon first use of Windows 10 after the reset, I will plug in my headphones andthey work perfectly. A few resets later, they magically stop working. Sometimes it takes a day, sometimes only an hour or two for the headphones to stop being recognized. RealTek HD manager says a device was plugged in, but there is no option for headphones nor are they "recognized" after the initial PC reset.

I do not understand why this is happening. I have reinstalled drivers, searched high and low, and visited multiple threads discussing this same issue. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm unsure what to do next. It's inconceivable to me that I can't use headphones with my laptop.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/27/2020, 10:35:50

Machine name: DESKTOP-INGG5T6

Machine Id: {65A51754-664C-44C8-8666-14A89D31B246}

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0, Build 18363 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202

Language: English Regional Setting: English

System Manufacturer: Notebook

System Model: P17SM-A

BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/20/15 15:24:07 Ver: 04.06.05 type: BIOS

Processor: IntelR CoreTM i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz 8 CPUs, ~3.3GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 32684MB RAM

Page File: 5401MB used, 32403MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI 100 percent

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI 100 percent

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported

DirectX Database Version: 1.1.5

DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Display Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_15587482&REV_1003

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys

Driver Version: 6.00.0001.7629 English

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 10/6/2015 12:00:00 AM, 4615424 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Basic

Cap Flags: 0xF1F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAXtm 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2tm Listen/Src: No, No

Sensauratm ZoomFXtm: No

Description: Realtek Digital Output Realtek High Definition Audio

Default Sound Playback: No

Default Voice Playback: No

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_15587482&REV_1003

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 10/6/2015 12:00:00 AM, 4615424 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Basic

Cap Flags: 0xF1F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAXtm 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2tm Listen/Src: No, No

Sensauratm ZoomFXtm: No

---------------------

Sound Capture Devices

---------------------

Description: Microphone Realtek High Definition Audio

Default Sound Capture: Yes

Default Voice Capture: Yes

Date and Size: 10/8/2015 12:45:20, 4615424 bytes

Cap Flags: 0x1

Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

:)

JS_009, Jul 27, 2020

2. Headphones not working.

Hi Haylee,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the headphones on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue?
    • How have you connected the headphones to your device?
    • Were you able to see if the headphones detected on your computer?

As a work around, try the below and update us the status of this issue:

• I suggest you to connect the headphones to different device and check if the headphone is working fine. This will help us to detect if the issue is with headphone.
    • If headphones are working fine on other devices, try to connect the headphones to different ports on the PC in the question and check if it is working fine. This will help us to know if the issue is with ports.

I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Joythar K Win User

Headphones don't work in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with headphones not working in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and I am glad to help you.

In order to understand the issue more clearly, I would request you to provide me with the following information.

• What is the make and model of the headphones?

• Have you tried connecting the headphones to another jack or another computer and checked if they are working?
    Make sure your headphones aren't plugged into the line out (headphone) jack of your sound card or computer (unless you want to be listening with headphones rather than speakers). When you plug in headphones, most computers
    automatically cut the sound to the speakers. Ensure the headphone is fully and firmly inserted into the correct jack. Plug in the headphone and see if the same shows up in Device Manager.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Note: If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues
    and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

If issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:Check with the volume settings. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.

• Put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".

• Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".

• Place a check mark on both speakers and headphones. Click Apply and OK.

If issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

This happens when you have the speakers set to default. We need to set the headphones as default. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Perform the task mentioned below to set speakers as default.

• Go to Start and click on control Panel.

• Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.

• In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.

• Now check if the headphone is listed there and right click on it and choose enable.

• Highlight that headphone and click on "Set as Default".

Also try to install latest chipset drivers in the system and check if it helps.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Preethu” replied on April 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

Headphones not working in Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Joythar K, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 // Headphones Do Not Work - Similar Threads - Headphones

2. headphones stopped working after last update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    headphones stopped working after last update: Head phones stopped working after last MS Update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphones-stopped-working-after-last-update/0d34d892-46bb-435f-826a-5d7b6f147d92
  3. headphones stopped working after last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphones stopped working after last update: Head phones stopped working after last MS Update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphones-stopped-working-after-last-update/0d34d892-46bb-435f-826a-5d7b6f147d92
  4. Microphone Recognized as a HEADPHONE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Recognized as a HEADPHONE: so recently i bought my bm 800 mic and i plugged it in then it appeared as a headphone and i tried every thing on youtube it still didnt work so if anyone knows how to make the system recognise the mic as a mic please dont hesitate and help asap....
  5. Microphone Recognized as a HEADPHONE

Microphone Recognized as a HEADPHONE: so recently i bought my bm 800 mic and i plugged it in then it appeared as a headphone and i tried every thing on youtube it still didnt work so if anyone knows how to make the system recognise the mic as a mic please dont hesitate and help asap....
  6. Headphones not working after a power out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones not working after a power out: My headphones apparently stopped working after a 3 hour long power out, it was working before it and it only happend to stop working after it. I tried doing all of the solutions that google or the troubleshoot videos has given me, and none of them happen to work....
  7. Headphones not working after a power out

Headphones not working after a power out: My headphones apparently stopped working after a 3 hour long power out, it was working before it and it only happend to stop working after it. I tried doing all of the solutions that google or the troubleshoot videos has given me, and none of them happen to work....
  8. Help me change my sample rate of my bluetooth headphones .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help me change my sample rate of my bluetooth headphones .: I have realme earbuds 5 pro , previously my bluetooth headphones supported Studio quality sample rate i.e. 24bit 96000hz Studio Quality. But now its not even supporting DVD quality sample rate i.e 16bit 48000hz DVD Quality. Please help.I changed my registry by using commands...
  9. Help me change my sample rate of my bluetooth headphones .

Help me change my sample rate of my bluetooth headphones .: I have realme earbuds 5 pro , previously my bluetooth headphones supported Studio quality sample rate i.e. 24bit 96000hz Studio Quality. But now its not even supporting DVD quality sample rate i.e 16bit 48000hz DVD Quality. Please help.I changed my registry by using commands...
  10. Headphones not detected on windows 11 inspirion 15

Headphones not detected on windows 11 inspirion 15: A couple of months ago, I used to get a popup every time I plugged my headphones into my laptop from dell audio. I clicked "do not show this dialog box again" and my laptop now only randomly decides to detect my headphones. I have tried a few solutions, to which none worked....