Windows 10: Windows 10 Hibernate and sleep takes too long

Discus and support Windows 10 Hibernate and sleep takes too long in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. If I may ask, since I upgrade from my Windows 8 Single Language to Windows 10 Home Single Language (64-bit), it seems that I have trouble... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mual, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Mual Win User

Windows 10 Hibernate and sleep takes too long

Hello.
    If I may ask, since I upgrade from my Windows 8 Single Language to Windows 10 Home Single Language (64-bit), it seems that I have trouble putting the laptop to hibernate or sleep.
    If I choose to Sleep, it suppose to go into sleep mode and everything is put into a low power state right? And when I click or press anything on the keyboard it should wake up and let me type my password to log on again, but after upgrading to Windows 10, after pressing sleep it shut off my screen and after awhile it doesn't go to sleep and assume I waited long enough, I click or press anything it doesn't wake up, I have to force shut down.
    For hibernating is almost the same case, which after press Hibernate, it doesn't shut down my laptop, there is always a light in blue "on" beside my battery light indicator (when charging laptop it glows in orange).

Other than that the WiFi signal seems to be very low and sometimes it keep disconnecting for no reason. Note that only my laptop having this problem, all other wireless devices that are connected to the same WiFi network didn't have this particular issues. I'm also using Google Chrome and the error I got so far are DNS_PROBE_FINISH_NO_INTERNET.Before Windows 10, when I was using Windows 8 the WiFi Signal seems to be always on 4-5 bars. And now.... and one weird thing is that everytime I click on Diagnose on my WiFi, it keep fixing "Problem with wireless adapter or access point". After fixing the Wifi Signal goes to max and then after awhile it drop to 1 bar again.

Is it the setting that I'm using are wrong, or anything else that are causing the problem?
    Please advice me and let me know what should I do to help you guys understand more about this problem. Any screenshot or whatever it is.
    Thanks!

:)

Mual, Aug 6, 2015
  2. Fabian-X Win User

Windows powershell randomly popping up.

I don't really know what i'm looking for, but it would take too long to check because it opens, usually whenever my computer wakes up from sleep or hibernation, it disappears a few seconds after.

Fabian-X, Aug 6, 2015
  3. TomHaws Win User
    Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while

When I put Windows 10 to sleep, then wake it up within a few minutes, it wakes up promptly as expected after a sleep. And it wakes up if I tap my keyboard, which also is expected.

But if I come back to wake the computer after a long time, it appears to have settled into hibernation.

1. The keyboard will not wake it up. I have to press the power button.

2. The manufacturer startup screen is displayed like on hibernation resume, and the resumption takes a long time sometimes.

Why does sleep turn into hibernation? Can I stop this behavior? All of the above happens while my Dell laptop is plugged in continuously.

Tom

TomHaws, Aug 6, 2015
  4. poset Win User

I've got similar problem. I have cloned my Windows 7 partition and upgraded the clone to Windows 10. This way I can dual-boot between the original Windows 7 and the upgraded Windows 10 and have direct comparison between the two.

While hibernation itself works fine, it's the resuming that has been affected by the upgrade. Windows 7 resumes in approximately 30 seconds from power on to unlock screen. Windows 10 needs two to three minutes for the same task.

I've been using Windows 7 for six years and I very rarely shut it down or reboot (only after major updates or when absolutely necessary otherwise). Hibernate/resume is my daily routine. I've never had any reason to complain. In Windows 10 it is a showstopper, disqualifying the OS from being my production platform.

poset, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Mual Win User
    So is there any solution that you can provide?
    Currently I also facing WiFi issues, which my signal are really bad, and sometimes it disconnect for no reason and reconnect.

Mual, Aug 6, 2015
  6. poset Win User
    I'm afraid I can't. I've tried to trace the problem down with performance tracking tools provided by MS as part of the ADK, but to no avail. Tracing is disabled throughout most of the resume process.

poset, Aug 6, 2015
  7. Mual Win User
    Okay, its fine , thanks for replying though. *Biggrin
    I'll see if anybody else can help! *Smile

Mual, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Mual Win User

Bump.
    Anyone can help me? Thanks ! *Smile

Mual, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Mual Win User
    Just so people can see the thread again, I will be posting a new comment instead of editing my main post since I didn't get any reply yet. *Smile

Well I just notice that if I move my laptop to another room where my router and modem are, the WiFi signal did boots by 2 bar, which likely improved my connection. Again, before upgrading to Windows 10, putting my laptop in the same room I used to be doesn't affect the connection, after upgrading to Windows 10 then I only have that problem. Even another laptop that are in the same room ( not the room with router and modem) doesn't have this problem, and the laptop are using Windows 8.1, so basically I think the problem is come from Windows 10 itself. Anyone else having this kind of problem? ANy help would be nice thanks *Biggrin

Mual, Aug 9, 2015
  10. poset Win User
    Mual,
    I'm afraid bumping every now and then isn't by itself going to conceive any solution.

My hibernating/resuming issue vanished with clean-installing W10 from scratch. In fact, startup and resume performance is stunning fast, even with a regular 7200 rpm HDD.

poset, Aug 18, 2015
  11. Rudy Mas Win User
    Try the following thing:

Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    powercfg -h off
    powercfg -h on

My system had also a problem with the hibernation part, but after refreshing my hiberfil.sys file, it started working normally again.

Rudy Mas, Aug 18, 2015
  12. Mual Win User
    Hmm, I can't afford to format my laptop right now cause I have a lot of things need to do with it for now. But I will format once I have the time, thanks for the suggestion and idea *Smile

I just entered the command and haven't try hibernating and sleep yet. Though I notice something today which is after Windows Update download and install the updates , it says "Windows need to restart to install update" but when I press restart it doesn't restart , in fact it shut down! I have to manually press the power button to start it up again.

13. Windows 10 Hibernate and sleep takes too long

It was slash, not dash: powercfg/h off and on. Anyway, it didn't solve my problem, which is also long wait for resume after sleeping. I found out it was related to the keep wifi connected while sleeping option under my wifi. When I selected it, sleeping still took a while but waking became instant. I have not looked at battery drain with this option selected though.

settings ==system== power and sleep==on battery power, stay connected to wifi while asleep

asusx205ta, Aug 22, 2015
  14. Rudy Mas Win User
    You can also us -h. I don't know why I still use - instead of /, probably from the early days when they did it like this. *Smile

Thanks for the tip about the WiFi, something to keep in mind when dealing with a problem like this. Up until now, I haven't seen this problem with a laptop yet, but now I have something else to look at to maybe fix the problem.

Rudy Mas, Aug 22, 2015
  15. Mual Win User
    I couldn't find the "on battery power, stay connected to wifi while asleep". Did you mean uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the Adapter config settings?

I tried but my laptop still have this problem which it took a long time to shutdown. Also I noticed a problem lately, which is if I click on shutdown, it took like forever to shutdown, but if I click restart, it shutdown! It doesn't restart for me I have to manually press the power button on my laptop to get it start again! Weird!

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Hibernate and sleep takes too long - Similar Threads - Hibernate sleep takes

2. Update takes too long.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update takes too long.: 2022-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems KB5014666 takes way too much time than usual. I mean what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? I don't understand why people even use windows. so much disaster operating system. We can't waste an...
  3. Chkdsk is taking too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk is taking too long: My harddisk was taking too long to respond and copy stuff. So I formatted the hard drive using cmd prompt and it went successful but then I am running the chkdsk E: /f /r /x E: is the external harddrive. Now its at stage 5 and have about 24 crore cluster to read and it is...
  4. Taking too long to hibernate after clean install of 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taking too long to hibernate after clean install of 2004: So I have recently upgraded to 2004 from 1703( i have been on that for the last 3 years). I realised that when I hibernate my laptop it take a long time to actually hibernate. The screen goes off immediately but I can clearly listen to the fan on its full speed and I can see...
  5. windows 10 restart taking too long

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 restart taking too long: windows 10 restart taking too long. When I power on and off it takes less than 1 minute but whenever I restart then it takes about 7-10 minutes. I have i5 4670 processor 8gb ram...
  6. Windows 10 Reset Taking Too Long

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Reset Taking Too Long: I recently decided to reset a windows 10 PC with a 1 TB hard drive and a 500 GB SSD, but chose to wipe and clean all storage on both drives. The PC has been running with a black screen for almost a week now with no indication of progress or activity. I have hit the shut down...
  7. Windows 10 Upgrade Taking Too Long?

Windows 10 Upgrade Taking Too Long?: Hello, So I am doing an upgrade on my desktop (currently in progress) and just wondering how long it usually takes? I looked up online and the upgrade should takes maximum an hour, but as of now it's been 5 hours and still hasn't loaded into Win 10. It's still on the...
  8. Update is taking too long

Update is taking too long: its been almost 2 hrs . The white dots are atill soinning but the update is bot going further then 15% should i wait more ir try to restart .?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/update-is-taking-too-long/38928599-34e9-4134-bad5-452df72bcf54
  9. Windows 10 takes too long to boot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 takes too long to boot.: I know this is a holiday weekend, but I'm set to start a new job working from home. Just as I'm about to go live I'm suddenly noticing that Windows 10 is taking 5 minutes or from turning it on to when I can actually use it. I've already done the basics by looking for malware,...
  10. Windows 10 taking too long to boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 taking too long to boot: I know there are several threads by this name, but my problem, as far as I know, is quite peculiar and I haven't seen anything similar to this in any thread. Yesterday I did a clean install (actually I wiped the whole hard drive and converted it to MBR since it was in GPT and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows take too long to hibernate