Windows 10: Windows 10 high CPU usage on explorer.exe

Discus and support Windows 10 high CPU usage on explorer.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is exactly the same issue that was reported here. I know the issue has existed since the 2017 build, I don't remember having the problem before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by 0ldman, Apr 19, 2021.

1. 0ldman Win User

Windows 10 high CPU usage on explorer.exe

This is exactly the same issue that was reported here. I know the issue has existed since the 2017 build, I don't remember having the problem before then however I had a mechanical hard drive so I may have just overlooked it due to how slow the machine was anyway, attributing the problem to the HD.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/windows-10-explorerexe-high-cpu-usage-during-file/4d14feb2-6e2d-43dd-bbe6-108267cc63c3?auth=1

The issue is reproduceable even without copying files. With explorer open, when using a video editor and exporting frames as individual images, explorer.exe spikes extremely high CPU usage to the degree that it slows the file creation process.

If you close explorer then CPU usage goes down but this is not a solution, this is a bandaid.

File copying, file saving from a web browser or file creation when scripted bogs explorer.exe quite horribly. Closing Windows Explorer seems to work as a bandaid.

This is happening across multiple systems, different builds, fresh installs. I have not tried it under safe mode yet, most tools won't load and run properly under safe mode. I have already disabled indexing on my laptop as that was said to be the culprit by many online, made no difference at all.

:)

0ldman, Apr 19, 2021

2. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Ege. Win User
    windows 10.exe high cpu usage

hey

yesterday i found that my cpu usage is so high and windows 10.exe is responsible for it. it uses %60 cpu constantly and when i try to execute, it starts again automatically. i tried windows deffender to scan but it couldnt find any malware etc. also when
    i diconnected from internet and killed windows 10.exe from task manager it is not coming back.

i hope you can find a sollution.

thank you inadvance

ps: i am using windows 10 64 bit.

4. Windows 10 high CPU usage on explorer.exe

Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest checking the Task Manager again to see what are the
    applications that have high CPU usage. To do this, follow the same steps you did from the previous reply:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

However, based on your response above, it seems that you may need to create a new user account again and just install your apps manually instead of copying them as your
    previous user account might be corrupted.

Once your done with the steps, please let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 high CPU usage on explorer.exe

1. Windows 10 high CPU usage on explorer.exe - Similar Threads - high CPU usage

2. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  3. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  4. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit: Hi. Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) So my problems started a few days after the last update; 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 based Systems (KB5001330). I have Piriforms Speccy installed and it reports the cpu temp is around a constant temp in...
  6. Windows Explorer steady 10% CPU usage high RAM usage increases

Windows Explorer steady 10% CPU usage high RAM usage increases: I am having an issue on my home PC where Windows Explorer in the task manager is using between 8-10% CPU and RAM increases at a steady rate, I've let it get to 3GB's before I "restarted" it right now hovering at 8% cpu and 1,384.6 ram. This just started within the last week,...
  7. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  8. Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage

Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage: Hi, I have an HP Laptop running windows 10 pro 1809 (fully up to date). Recently the user has noticed at all times from power up to shutdown all of the icons, both desktop and taskbar are constantly refreshing. I have rolled back and re-installed the display driver to...
  9. unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe

unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe: hello everyone I'm having a bit of trouble with this application. Just recently my CPU has been mostly taken up by one instance of the above file continuously running. Now I have had a look in Task Manager and the following command lines are stated as below:-...
  10. High CPU usage in windows 10

High CPU usage in windows 10: Hi, we face an issue in windows 10, the CPU usage is very high. we try DISM command, Registry Editor, Disable superfetch, update drivers and disable windows search services but the issue still happen. what have you done so far to resolve the issue?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 explprer notreleasing cpu