Windows 10: Windows 10 high CPU Usage

Discus and support Windows 10 high CPU Usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I custom built my PC back in 2010 and it ran perfectly fine on Windows 7. Then ever since I installed windows 10, my CPU usage has been maxing out at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JonL4, Oct 8, 2018.

1. JonL4 Win User

Windows 10 high CPU Usage

I custom built my PC back in 2010 and it ran perfectly fine on Windows 7. Then ever since I installed windows 10, my CPU usage has been maxing out at 100% frequently. The simplest operation (opening Microsoft edge or even opening task manager) will cause max CPU usage. My CPU information is at the bottom of the post.

I just clean installed Windows 10 on a brand new SSD hard drive to help isolate the problem

Things I've tried to remedy the problem so far (to no avail):

• Purchased a brand new 128GB Kingston SSD hard drive and clean installed windows 10 on it.
      • My old HDD from 2010 was causing 100% disk usage. Installing this new SSD fixed my disk usage to manageable levels but my CPU % is still maxing out.
    • Updated my BIOS to the most up to date version my motherboard has available
      • I now have V11.11 4/27/2011 for my 785GM-P45 board. This is still a legacy BIOS and I do not believe there is any more up to date versions available for my hardware. Could this cause issues on Windows 10 maybe?
    • Set my power plan to high performance
    • Disabled superfetch
    • Disabled Windows search.
    • Temporarily disabled firewall (didn't help)
    • My disk, GPU, and RAM never encounter any performance issues, solely my CPU is the problem.

I've read about every popular windows 10 high CPU fix and none have helped so far. This problem is driving me mad! Does anyone have any ideas what could be possible wrong? I am assuming its a hardware issue considering I've wiped and reinstalled my whole OS. Could an old power supply cause this issue? (not sure if that's a dumb question but I'm desperate.)

Time of this report: 10/8/2018, 18:44:15
    Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MSI
    System Model: MS-7623
    BIOS: Default System BIOS (type: BIOS)
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Page File: 2417MB used, 2381MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, no HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

--------------

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device (POST)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1244&SUBSYS_089C196E&REV_A1
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 3006 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 959 MB
    Shared Memory: 2047 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
    Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
    Color Primaries: Red(0.650391,0.334961), Green(0.294922,0.605469), Blue(0.144531,0.075195), White Point(0.313477,0.329102)
    Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: HF207
    Monitor Id: HSG18C5
    Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (59.978Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
    Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
    Advanced Color: Not Supported
    Driver Name: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_708ec8f9a4d134c6\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_708ec8f9a4d134c6\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_708ec8f9a4d134c6\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ref_pubwu.inf_amd64_708ec8f9a4d134c6\nvldumdx.dll
    Driver File Version: 23.21.0013.9135 (English)
    Driver Version: 23.21.13.9135
    DDI Version: 12
    Feature Levels: 11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 2.3
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: DMA
    Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Virtualization: Not Supported
    Block List: No Blocks
    Catalog Attributes: Universal:N/A Declarative:N/A
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 3/22/2018 8:00:00 PM, 949016 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5104-11CF-7159-91281BC2DA35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x1244
    SubSys ID: 0x089C196E
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Driver Strong Name: oem6.inf:0f066de37724218c:Section002:23.21.13.9135Windows 10 high CPU Usage :pci\ven_10de&dev_1244
    Rank Of Driver: 00D12001

:)

JonL4, Oct 8, 2018

2. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 8, 2018
  3. high cpu usage

After downloading windows 10, anytime I run any programs, I get high CPU usage. It does not matter whether it is google chrome, task manager, playing games, whatever. Anything seems to spike the CPU usage. I have already run malwarbytes and my antivirus
    programs and find no viruses. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JanMcCoy_827, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Rick.T Win User

Windows 10 Display Blinking with High CPU

After upgrade to Windows 10, experiencing flashing display and high CPU.

• At initial logon screen everything is normal - wall paper and logon screen display with no blinking
    • After logon, fan starts as CPU usage spikes, cursor is accompanied by the spinning blue circle
    • touchscreen does not respond to swipe to access Recovery/Safe mode for reboot
    • able to get to Task Manager and Perfmon to see high CPU usage and explorer.exe is suspended
    looking for suggestions on how to either fix or roll back to Windows 8.1

Rick.T, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 high CPU Usage - Similar Threads - high CPU Usage

2. CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage is high: My CPU usage is 50% and sometimes higher and the only thing I have opened is Google Chrome. Presentational font cache exe is using most of it and Chrome is using 10-15%. Memory usage is 60% and Chrome is using most of that. 960 mb What can I do to fix this?...
  3. high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    high cpu usage: hi,I am Krishna, my laptop having some problems with wifi. suddenly wifi is disconnecting and the adaptor is not showing wifi settings after doing a hardware scan or internet troubleshooter it is again showing the wifi settings and connecting to wifi, whenever this happens...
  4. Windows 10 high CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 high CPU usage: Guys can you all help me with this problem this is so annoyingMy pc was just running normally like everyday but from last night,it became lag and when i check,i see the CPU in task manager is always in 80-100% and its so lag not gonna lie.I tried s o many solutions from...
  5. High CPU Usage

High CPU Usage: I just did a factory reset of my windows 10 because of low storage and an issue I have had before and after the reset is high CPU usage. I don't have any external anti virus. And when I get the high usage I just have to open task manager and its fine. its not even when I play...
  6. High CPU usage

High CPU usage: I have constant ongoing high CPU usage . One of the causes is a non Windows app I'm trying to rectify. The other 3 are all Windows based; WMI provider host, Antimalware Service and Services and Controller App....
  7. High cpu usage

High cpu usage: Hi guys, I have a weird problem and I can't fix it. After changing some settings in Comand Promt my computer started behaving weird. My cpu usage is high and very unstable, for no reason. In the task manager there is nothing that should cause high cpu usage, there are no...
  8. High CPU usage in windows 10

High CPU usage in windows 10: Hi, we face an issue in windows 10, the CPU usage is very high. we try DISM command, Registry Editor, Disable superfetch, update drivers and disable windows search services but the issue still happen. what have you done so far to resolve the issue?...
  9. High CPU usage in Windows 10.

High CPU usage in Windows 10.: Hi All, From last few days I am facing Hight CPU usage, Windows explorer is taking more than 45% of CPU. and Nahimic taking 30%. PC Details : Asus ROG GL405GM Intel i7 8750 NVidia GForece 1060 GPU. Please help, how to resolve this issue. ***Modified title from:...
  10. Windows 10 HIGH CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 HIGH CPU Usage: I have done a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and after my computer is on for about an hour or so a process in the task manager called "system and compressed memory" takes about 25-30% of my cpu cycles for no reason.It doesn't use much ram at all.Just cpu cycles.That...