Windows 10: Windows 10 Home 1809 - command and powershell windows do not open

Discus and support Windows 10 Home 1809 - command and powershell windows do not open in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Oldish PC recently updated to 1809 via a downloaded iso. Windows is activated and fully updated. I can open a command windows from taks manager -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by john-errington, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Home 1809 - command and powershell windows do not open

Oldish PC recently updated to 1809 via a downloaded iso. Windows is activated and fully updated.

I can open a command windows from taks manager - File - run new task - cmd.exe;

However the procedure of cortana search - cmd - run as admin does not generate a window or response.

Similarly WIndows right click - powershell no response to either admin or normal choice.

sfc/scannow finds no violations. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - no change.

TDSSKiller, MBAM anti-rootkit and McAfee anti-rootkit find no issues.

https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-virus-scan installs with no issues and a full scan reveals no viruses.

I've tried installing AVAST - it "installs" but wont run - perhaps due to the command prompt/powershell issue.

:)

john-errington, Feb 20, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 20, 2019
  3. [Windows 10] hide/prohibit install of specific Windows Update

Edit: Try "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package first and let us know if it works for you.

Adapted from Preventing a certain Windows Update from installing on Windows 10 by Igal Tabachnik.
    • Uninstall the problematical driver/update.
    • Restart the computer, if necessary, and/or switch to an administrator account.
    • Download Windows Update PowerShell Module and extract it to: %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules After doing so, you will have a %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSWindowsUpdate folder with a bunch of files.
    • Start -> All Apps -> expand Windows PowerShell -> right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as Administrator. This is very important or you'll get errors in Windows PowerShell.
    • Now you should see the PowerShell window and you'll have to enter a series of commands. First order of business is loading up PSWindowsUpdate. Note: You have to do this every time you restart PowerShell and want to use PSWindowsUpdate commands!
      CommandDescriptionSet-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -ForceAllows the use of unsigned PowerShell scripts.Import-Module PSWindowsUpdateLoads PSWindowsUpdateSet-ExecutionPolicy Restricted -ForceClose the potential security hole.
    • Enter Get-WUList. This command will take a little while to execute. It retrieves the list of all available updates on Windows Update. If you do not see the problematical update here, it is either no longer being offered or it is installed.
    • Now you need to decide how to filter what update you want to hide. Here's some examples:
      CommandDescriptionHide-WUUpdate -Title "*Realtek High Definition Audio"This looks for a title that ends with (note the asterisk) "Realtek High Definition Audio"Hide-WUUpdate -Title "Realtek*"This looks for a title that starts with (note the asterisk) "Realtek"
      When you enter the above command, it will loop through all results it finds and ask whether or not you want to hide it. Make sure you only say "yes" to the one you want hidden and "no" to the rest.
    • It will automatically show the updated results. Verify there is an "H" under the status of the ones you want hidden and not behind the rest. If it is correct, close out of PowerShell and return to your normal user account if necessary. Run Windows Update and the update should not show/install.
    If you want to unhide an update, add -HideStatus:$false to the Hide-WUUpdate command.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 20, 2019
  4. ste2425 Win User

Windows 10 Home 1809 - command and powershell windows do not open

Command windows opening behind other windows

Hi all,

Hopefully a quick one here.

Ive made a small application to poll TeamCity build monitor take data about current and past builds and store them in a data base. Its only a very small application and im using windows task scheduler to run it every five minuets. Its working grand and does everything its meant to however when it runs it open a command window. Im not displaying anything nor taking user input and its finished and closed in under half a minuet but it opens on top of any windows I already have open. Control is still focused on the window I was working in before the command window opened. What id like to know is there a way within either task scheduler or something I can programme within the application to either stop the command window opening up but the application still run as its not needed or to make it automatically open behind all other open windows?

Thanks all

ste2425, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Home 1809 - command and powershell windows do not open

1. Windows 10 Home 1809 - command and powershell windows do not open - Similar Threads - Home 1809 command

2. Powershell command

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell command: Hi How can i get a list via powershell commandof expired users password in AD like this screenshot.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/powershell-command/54833831-89ba-4641-a5b2-2d55e848aab8
  3. Powershell command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell command: Hi How can i get a list via powershell commandof expired users password in AD like this screenshot.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/powershell-command/54833831-89ba-4641-a5b2-2d55e848aab8
  4. Command Prompt and Powershell window opens and closes on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt and Powershell window opens and closes on startup.: Every time I turn on my computer, these two windows open and then close by themselves after about 5 to 10 seconds.I even attempted to disable every single startup process. Even after performing a clean boot, the problem persists....
  5. Command Prompt and Powershell window opens and closes on startup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command Prompt and Powershell window opens and closes on startup.: Every time I turn on my computer, these two windows open and then close by themselves after about 5 to 10 seconds.I even attempted to disable every single startup process. Even after performing a clean boot, the problem persists....
  6. Command Prompt and Powershell window opens and closes on startup.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. What Does This Command Do In Powershell?

What Does This Command Do In Powershell?: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-command-do-in-powershell/1ff83e7f-2e15-4208-83ba-008423895b13
  8. Windows 10 Pro 21H1 / Can not open PowerShell & Command Prompt

Windows 10 Pro 21H1 / Can not open PowerShell & Command Prompt: Hi Community:I'm going to provide as much detail as I can, I'm sorry this is going to be long.I own a Lenovo Laptop, Model T440, purchased new, original owner.This machine came preloaded with Windows 7, and it was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.I upgraded the machine to a SSD a...
  9. Open Cmd via PowerShell, command?

Open Cmd via PowerShell, command?: Please i need to open cmd win + r and so i know i need to know how to open it via powershell pls (.bat and so i know it needs to be opened via powershell. Pls PowerShell command to open cmd? Cmd über PowerShell öffnen, Befehl?
  10. Linux command in Windows PowerShell

Linux command in Windows PowerShell: When did Windows incorporate Linux command in PowerShell? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linux-command-in-windows-powershell/a5a16d50-78a3-4d90-9965-d60d3b550231

Users found this page by searching for:

1. intall WUUpdate 1809