Windows 10: Windows 10 Home Activation Issue After hardware change

Discus and support Windows 10 Home Activation Issue After hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello,I have a purchased a windows home key & installed on my desktop computer. But suddenly the motherboard burns & I replaced the motherboard. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Pushpitha Sankalpa, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Home Activation Issue After hardware change

Hello,I have a purchased a windows home key & installed on my desktop computer. But suddenly the motherboard burns & I replaced the motherboard. After that I re-install windows 10 using official iso file. I have entered the same product key on the installation. After the installation completed when I go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation, following error display -"We can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key."And I have tried using the troubleshooter & select "I change hardware on this device recently" b

:)

Pushpitha Sankalpa, Jun 8, 2021

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

Get help with Windows activation errors

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jun 8, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 8, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Home Activation Issue After hardware change

ACTIVATION ISSUE

Hi,

Activation issues with Windows 10 devices are usually caused due to some hardware changes. For us to provide an effective resolution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• What changes have you made to your devices before this issue occurred?
    • Are your computers connected to a domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest visiting these links. These can be used as a reference on how to activate Windows 10:

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jun 8, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Home Activation Issue After hardware change

1. Windows 10 Home Activation Issue After hardware change - Similar Threads - Home Activation Issue

2. Can't activate windows 10 Home after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows 10 Home after a hardware change: Hi. I changed my hardware today and noticed it didn't activate my windows 10 once I logged into my account. From what I gathered online etc, I carried out the steps needed to be logged in and my windows 10 key recognised. I bought my PC in 2017 with it preinstalled and don't...
  3. windows 10 activation issues after a hardware change

windows 10 activation issues after a hardware change: been upgrading my PC piecemeal since it's getting a tad outdated, replaced the MOBO the other day and now windows has decided that i need to activate it again. my current problems are threefold firstly, i cannot reactivate windows using the product key from my legitimate...
  4. Windows 10 activation issue after hardware change

Windows 10 activation issue after hardware change: Hello, As per title, since motherboard and CPU change I can't activate windows 10 home 64. I don't have an licence key, if I remember correctly it was a free upgrade years ago from windows 7 or 8. I'm a bit lost about what to do next, is there any recovery plan or...
  5. Windows 10 Activation Issues After Hardware Changes

Windows 10 Activation Issues After Hardware Changes: So recently I changed my motherboard and CPU and now I am getting Windows activation errors every time I start my PC. I have used the troubleshooter and clicked on "I changed hardware on this device recently" and followed all the steps (I am already logged into my Microsoft...
  6. Windows 10 Activation issue after Hardware change

Windows 10 Activation issue after Hardware change: I've recently upgraded most of the components in my PC, I swapped the motherboard and got an SSD. I've installed windows onto this SSD but I can't activate it, I have a digital license attached to my Microsoft account and can see the PC when checking my Microsoft account...
  7. Windows Activation Issues After Hardware Change

Windows Activation Issues After Hardware Change: My motherboard broke down and I had to replace it. Unfortunately this meant my Windows 10 would fail activation. But as the hardware change was not anticipated, I wasn't able to prepare Windows for the activation. I need help re-activating Windows with my old product key....
  8. Activation issues on Windows 10 after changing hardware

Activation issues on Windows 10 after changing hardware: I have changed my hardware, (motherboard and processor) after finishing the new installation I cannot activate windows with the account that I have digital license that previously used to activate....
  9. Issues with Windows Activation After Changing Hardware

Issues with Windows Activation After Changing Hardware: Recently I got a new motherboard for my PC and replaced the old one without any issues. Shortly after I booted up my computer with the new motherboard, I got the message requesting me to activate Windows through settings because the Windows license wasn't transferred to the...
  10. Windows 10 activation Issues after hardware change

Windows 10 activation Issues after hardware change: Recently upgraded the motherboard of my desktop. Using Windows 10 after a Windows 7 free upgrade. I tied my Windows 10 activation to my Microsoft Account like every other help article suggested -before- doing the hardware change. Tried the activation troubleshooter. I get...