Windows 10: Windows 10 Home Bitlocker Encryption because Secure Boot was changed?

Discus and support Windows 10 Home Bitlocker Encryption because Secure Boot was changed? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Yoga c940 that randomly showed a Bitlocker recovery key blue screen at start up and I can't get into Windows. The computer only has a local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Soung HunGi, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Home Bitlocker Encryption because Secure Boot was changed?

I have a Yoga c940 that randomly showed a Bitlocker recovery key blue screen at start up and I can't get into Windows. The computer only has a local account and I don't have the Bitlocker key anywhere. I don't understand why this is happening because first of all, I don't have Windows 10 pro so Bitlocker shouldn't be available to the device. I really don't want to reinstall my device and lose my data for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

:)

Soung HunGi, Mar 16, 2020

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Mar 16, 2020
  3. How do I change the Bitlocker Device Encryption using cmd

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are trying change the BitLocker Device Encryption using command line.

We would suggest you to refer this
    BitLocker: Use BitLocker Drive Encryption Tools to manage BitLocker
    article and check manage-bde section, if that helps to make the changes.

However, for further queries we would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums, where we have experts and support
    professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 16, 2020
  4. tekkie Win User

Windows 10 Home Bitlocker Encryption because Secure Boot was changed?

BitLocker hardware encryption cannot be activated on Win10 10586/1511

Hey,

I'm having trouble enabling hardware encryption with BitLocker using Windows 10 build 10586 on a clean install with a Samsung 850 SSD. The encryption worked flawlessly before on build 10240.

I've spent hours and attempted multiple solutions and made several tests.

As mentioned, on the same machine, if clean installing build 10240 (RTM, before November update) right now, the encryption works.

I have UEFI on with Legacy/CSM off, Fast Boot on, Secure Boot on, and a clean GPT installation after using the 'diskpart clean' command.

As always, it's required to change a group policy to allow additional authentication at startup. I did that.

On a clean installation of build 10586, the wizard will say 'parameter is incorrect' when attempting to start encryption.

Microsoft did announce some BitLocker-related changes for build 10586: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt403325

There are also new group policies added. I've tried all combinations. They now allow you to try and force a specific encryption cipher. Samsung uses XES-AES256. I tried forcing that (as well as all other combinations) but the same error returns.

Now, here's where it gets interesting, and possibly why no reports about this have surfaced yet:
    If you enable the encryption on build 10240, and then upgrade to 10586, the encryption will remain and will work properly on build 10586.

If you then attempt to 'Reset this PC', and choose the 'keep nothing' option, it will warn you that BitLocker will be disabled. Once it's done cleaning, if you attempt to enable encryption, it will again show the error.

Even if you don't reset the PC, but simply disable BitLocker on 10586 and then attempt to re-enable it, it will no longer work.

tl;dr: Hardware encryption via BitLocker on build 10586 cannot be enabled on a clean install. Currently-known workaround is installing 10240, encrypting it, then upgrading to 10586.

Any solutions would be appreciated, thanks!

tekkie, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Home Bitlocker Encryption because Secure Boot was changed?

1. Windows 10 Home Bitlocker Encryption because Secure Boot was changed? - Similar Threads - Home Bitlocker Encryption

2. How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home: HiTwo of my drives D and E are locked under bitlocker encryption. Everytime I login, I have to enter the encryption keys again which I get from my Recovery Keys panel on my Microsoft Account. How do I remove this encryption ?I dont have any bitlocker encryption setting in my...
  3. How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove Bitlocker Encryption on drives in Windows 10 Home: HiTwo of my drives D and E are locked under bitlocker encryption. Everytime I login, I have to enter the encryption keys again which I get from my Recovery Keys panel on my Microsoft Account. How do I remove this encryption ?I dont have any bitlocker encryption setting in my...
  4. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  5. Change bitlocker secure boot policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change bitlocker secure boot policy: Hi,I currently have Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker enabled and requiring a key/passcode on boot.Now I frequently want to boot my laptop from PXE over the network and to do this I need to keep turning off secure boot. If I turn off secure boot I can't then re-boot back into...
  6. Disabling Bitlocker Encryption on Windows Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling Bitlocker Encryption on Windows Home: Hello, I am trying to dual-boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 on my Dell G5 laptop and I currently cannot do this because I am getting a message from Ubuntu to turn off BitLocker encryption in order to install the Ubuntu OS. My laptop currently has Windows 10 Home, so I...
  7. Bitlocker Encryption in Windows 10 Home Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker Encryption in Windows 10 Home Edition: Dear Sir, I have bought a new HP Laptop with the default edition of Windows 10 Home and i would like to Encrypt my hard disk with the bit locker but i couldn't see any bit locker encryption option in control panel. How can I solve this Problem ?? Kindly advise on this if...
  8. Secure Boot and Bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure Boot and Bitlocker: If I have BitLocker enabled on my system, do I have to enable Secure Boot as well? If BitLocker is enabled, does that mean I must enable Secure Boot? Or, can I just leave Secure Boot disabled? 90970
  9. Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home: I recently under went the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now find I can't read a BitLocker encrypted USB. Windows file explorer does not recognise the drive and there is no where I can enter the password. Can anybody help. Many thanks 20892
  10. Change BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10: How to: Change BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10 How to Set Default BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10 You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...