Windows 10: WIndows 10 Home Builds & External Drive Issues

Discus and support WIndows 10 Home Builds & External Drive Issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a laptop I've been using for 6 months (Windows Home 10 Version 1809) with an external hard drive. I just purchased a laptop for my business... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dbobbers, Jul 22, 2019.

1. dbobbers Win User

WIndows 10 Home Builds & External Drive Issues

I have a laptop I've been using for 6 months (Windows Home 10 Version 1809) with an external hard drive. I just purchased a laptop for my business (Version 1903) with a new external hard drive for work files.

The hard drives can only be used (& seen in Disk Management) on the laptop that I first used the drive with. Laptop 1 & 2 are both HP Envys. The two hard disks are both WD Passports.

I've never had a issue where a USB drive hasn't worked on any PC.

Why???

:)

dbobbers, Jul 22, 2019
  2. Micah Bat Win User

External drives and Windows 10 issue

Since you are having multiple issues with Windows 10, we suggest you to run a System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing (DISM) to look into the system for possible corruption. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X
    • On the menu which should pop-up on the lower-left side of your screen, click
      Command Prompt (admin)
    • Type the following on Command Prompt (wait for the SFC scan to finish before running DISM):

sfc /scannow

dism /online /restorehealth /cleanup-image

Check the result of the scans, and if it states that it was able to fix some corrupted files, simply restart your computer to apply the fix and check if the issue persists.

Regarding your external hard disk, we suggest you to update your USB Hard Disk drivers. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Device Manager.
    • Find the disk drive for your external hard disk.
    • Right-click your disk drive.
    • Click Update Driver Software.
    • A new windows will prompt, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jul 22, 2019
  4. WIndows 10 Home Builds & External Drive Issues

little cat, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

WIndows 10 Home Builds & External Drive Issues

1. WIndows 10 Home Builds & External Drive Issues - Similar Threads - Home Builds External

2. External hard drive issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive issue: I recently purchased a 2Tb Seagate external backup hard drive, and when I connected to my laptop I received a popup indicating that I would have to exit "S mode", and lose it forever. There was also something about the Seagate being an "unverified app". Why did this happen,...
  3. WD external drive issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD external drive issue: I have a WD external drive that is recognized in Control Panel of my Window 10 PC but doesn't show up in File Explorer. The drive worked until recently with this PC and it works properly when used with my Window 11 laptop Many thanks in advance Keith...
  4. External Hard drive issues after Windows 10 update (version 20H2, build 19042.870)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Hard drive issues after Windows 10 update (version 20H2, build 19042.870): I updated my Windows 10 version on 3/16/2021 and now it doesn't recognize my external hard drive when it is plugged in. It literally doesn't even show up on the file explorer. I am using a Dell XPS 9570. I can't reformat the disc or erase it or anything because the device...
  5. External Hard Drive Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Issues: So a while back I had to have my laptop sent off to be fixed. My internal hard drive was not fixable so they recover my data onto an external hard drive. Since I have had it back, I cannot access the files. My laptop makes the sound to say it is connected but cannot be seen...
  6. External drive issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drive issue: All of the sudden one of my drives stopped allowing me to access it, the device shows in file explorer but when I try to access it states the drive is not accessible due to a fatal device hardware error. Is there a way to fix this?...
  7. Issue with external hard drive

Issue with external hard drive: I have 2 external hard drives, my PC went to sleep and when I turned it back on it tried to boot from one of my external hard drives, my PC would not boot until I disconnected that hard drive and when my PC was turned on and my hard drive reconnected, it would not appear...
  8. Windows 10 Home 1903 build RDP to Azure issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home 1903 build RDP to Azure issue: Good afternoon Community, We are having an issue with Windows 10 Home edition 1903 build. This is a rare occurrence and can be rectified by completely reloading windows, however that is a horrible resolution to give our customers. Case - **Side Note If you attempt to...
  9. External drive formatting issues using Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External drive formatting issues using Windows 10: Seagate 4T external drive we want to use with Acronis True Image. At some point the external drive became formatted with 2 volumes, each with about 2T. In mucking around to try and get back to a single partition with all 4T, I am now stuck with one unallocated 2T partition...
  10. External Hard Drive Issue.

External Hard Drive Issue.: Hi, I have version 10130 which I installed as an ISO file via my dvd drive,this was after Windows update failed on several occassions to upgrade it from 10074. The problem that I have is that my Seagate 750gb External Hard Drive is not accessible to use for backups etc,the...