Windows 10: Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items.

Discus and support Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wanted to substitute the canned microsoft images used in Windows 10 with my own higher quality images. The images were located in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GarySchimelfenig, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items.

I wanted to substitute the canned microsoft images used in Windows 10 with my own higher quality images. The images were located in C:\windows\web\wallpaper\Flowers; Windows; Windows 10 and in C:\windows\web\screen
    Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 250919e1-a002-403d-b5b1-60285c00ee10?upload=true.jpg
    I uploaded my images, a total of 18, which I would rename the same as the originals when I deleted the originals, just in case that might make a difference to Win 10. When I attempted to delete the originals an error message said I needed permission from “TrustedInstaller.” No, “Administrator” authorization would not suffice. So I clicked one of the images, right-clicked and opened Properties. YUP, the images were ONLY manageable by a guy named TrustedInstaller. So I had to find a way to change that to ME otherwise known as “Administrator.”
    Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. fdb696a0-8a97-4c10-8326-79280945fcb0?upload=true.jpg
    It took a while, a fruitless search on line, and after a LOT of trial and error, error, error . . . I finely grabbed the brass ring. Here is how I changed the authorization so I could delete or move the TrustedInstaller images.

Right click the image (file)

click on Properties

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. dda971b8-4636-4683-b92b-df4e9db3a6fa?upload=true.jpg

click on Security

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 021b7e74-d4cf-4467-921c-0086aafa6a47?upload=true.jpg

click on Advanced

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 6666d0d5-bc9f-4dd4-b59d-100c52700991?upload=true.jpg

click on Change

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. dd7218c7-9bc1-49a0-b8d6-13e42cc5f068?upload=true.jpg

click on Advanced

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. b13eba91-6772-421f-b5c9-e6dff77aba50?upload=true.jpg

click on Find Now

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 9ec17512-e9d7-4eb8-b5fb-9ffd5b899998?upload=true.jpg

a list will propagate under Search Results

Highlight the appropriate Administrator you want to change to

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. bda22b30-dab1-4fe9-8fc9-50630362f2f0?upload=true.jpg

click on OK

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 0dc0aa66-c8e1-4023-844e-259f7893abea?upload=true.jpg

you will see the selected change in the next window

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. c6ebf1ff-21fe-40c7-affc-726116cb8525?upload=true.jpg

click on OK

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. e6752cce-32e0-4b00-8aff-a75b419c6913?upload=true.jpg

click on OK and you should be back to the Security Tab on Properties

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. f45bb423-72b0-489c-b609-402fe1b49afd?upload=true.jpg

Highlight the Administrator you had selected earlier

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 90750057-319e-4ff8-a800-e5be71c00b2d?upload=true.jpg

click on Edit with Administrator shield

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 89087a33-7455-49b5-80bc-0e654fa61af9?upload=true.jpg

Highlight the Administrator you had selected earlier then

click on the, “Full Control” box under, “Allow”

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 1786580f-0289-4421-9ec9-34262351857c?upload=true.jpg

which will select all the boxes in that column
    click on OK
    Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. cee71546-89df-4efc-b298-65d90cb38012?upload=true.jpg

“You are about to change the permission settings on the system folders. This can reduce the security of your computer and cause users to have problems accessing files. Do you want to continue?”

click on YES

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. df6acbf6-cfc6-4979-860c-e384b8d979f6?upload=true.jpg

click on OK

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. b5a68536-148b-4c3e-83e3-cb2969aff9dc?upload=true.jpg

Now when you click on Properties: Security, and highlight your selected Administrator from the list, it will reflect your selection. Move or delete your image.

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 9fd86c70-0723-4c42-a77a-0ae649032bed?upload=true.jpg

Simple huh?
    I understand if there is a folder of files that you want to so modify it can be done by clicking on the folder to make these same changes for all the files in the folder. I did not use this method as I had already loaded all my images into the folders. I did right-click on one of the folders and Properties, Security revealed the same information so it may well work for whole folders of files. Good Luck!

:)

GarySchimelfenig, Dec 4, 2019
  2. Ariel Aba Win User

Windows 10 Home - Getting "TrustedInstaller" permission to edit and remove items.

Hi John,

Based on the initial post that you made, what you did was to give full permission to trustedinstaller. You need to change it to the admin of the computer (LAPTOP-E1UE8UMG\Administrators) instead as outlined on the last link you provided. If you are still
    having issues after changing the permission to the admin, I suggest that you post your issue in the
    TechNet Forums instead. The members there include
    IT professionals that can provide a more advanced recommendation on the next step to resolve your issue.

Regards.

Ariel Aba, Dec 4, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Home - Getting "TrustedInstaller" permission to edit and remove items.

First I will walk you through what I am trying to do with pictures and then you tell me what I need to do to get what I want.

So, I want to delete a file. Let's use this as an example:

I open File Explorer, search for let's say... "AllJoyn" files to delete because I don't want or need this on my computer.

When the search is done I select a file to delete. How about the router itself.

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 7c45cc52-a0d3-4d56-b5d8-5337633a166d?upload=true.jpg

I click "delete" and this error messages pops up

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 7986ea10-26c2-4a94-880f-a822684589eb?upload=true.jpg

Okay... I went through this before when trying to remove "OneNote" and "OneDrive". I followed all helpsite directions but I wasn't able to actually get real permission to delete items through File Explorer although I could remove items through REGEDIT. Well,
    for examples sake, I will walk you through this process.

I press "Continue" on the error message anyways because yes, I am the "trustedinstaller" and the sole owner and account administrator on this PC.

New error message says

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 626fb8d0-038b-4c4e-9103-bdf98e105714?upload=true.jpg

I needed help at this point when I initially went through this and these websites were my source of directions

Restore the TrustedInstaller ownership in Windows 10

Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10

So, to change permissions I right click "AllJoyn Router" and choose "Properties" and then the "Security" tab.

As you can see, the permissions box shows that TrustedInstaller has full permissions and control on this file.

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 1c6648eb-00f6-4d90-a847-c7d3a6d898af?upload=true.jpg

To change this permission for full control I must go to "Advanced"

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. a6f78a68-2979-48bd-a227-ccdf08299510?upload=true.jpg

As you can see, the owner of this file is already the trusted installer. But never mind that because the computer tells me that I need to change permission to the trustedinstaller in order to delete the item. So,
    onward I go anyways following the help directions to get the correct permissions.

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 3d556a82-da7a-4eee-b33e-e1d45bd761c3?upload=true.jpg

I press the "Change" link next to the Owner: trustedinstaller line and enter "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" into the empty box and then press "OK".

The Advanced Security Settings window has changed with some new buttons and a box to check.

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. 5b501b4a-e2df-43df-8fc0-a17eeabe8796?upload=true.jpg

The "Change Permissions" button was replaced with "Add" and "Remove" buttons, but they are faded out and unclickable.

The new check-box says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". I'm guessing that is the last and final confirmation step to enforce the change of permissions to TrustedInstaller once and for all.

So I click that box and press the "Apply" button. (the website says to press OK and you're done, but not really, that doesn't work)

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. e25a052e-c2ab-4f36-a984-fe42f458ff18?upload=true.jpg

And then I press the OK button and I am returned to "Properties>Security" window.

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. a8573b8d-e240-461b-aad2-e783a0ec951c?upload=true.jpg

Nothing has changed here so I press "OK" and return to File Explorer to try and delete "AllJoyn Router" off my computer.

It's the same pop-up with the same statement as before "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder." with 3 buttons: "Continue", "Skip" and "Cancel". Well, I am logged in on this computer as the administrator and there are no other
    profiles with access to my windows account, so yes, I should press "Continue", so I do.

And yes, the same error message as before "You need permission to perform this action"

"You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder"

Very frustrating. The helpsite directions seem to make no effect towards permission change.

I am guessing that although I am the account administrator and sole owner and operator of this PC I am still not in control of the editing of program files on this PC because that permission is given to "trustedinstaller". How do I login on my PC as the
    Trusted Installer so that I can make changes?

JohnWilson2018, Dec 4, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items.

Removing/changing Administrator

Hi Mike,

We are sorry to hear about the loss.

Before assisting we would like to know:

The account you are speaking about is it a Microsoft Administrator Account or a Local Administrator Account?

• If it is a Microsoft Administrator Account then Password cannot be removed.

• In order to remove the Password Protection for a Local Administrator Account you would need to Enable the Build In Administrator Account. This will help you in removing the Password.

• To Enable the Build In Administrator Account Please follow the below steps:

As per the Description you have mentioned as you see an error as "change settings are currently unavailable." We would request you to help us with the Screenshot of this error.

Please follow the steps provided in the below link to send a Screen shot in Microsoft Community:

How to include a screenshot in your post

The above steps should be helpful to you, if the issue still persist, then to write back to us and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

RiyazurRehman, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items.

1. Windows 10 Home - Changing "TrustedInstaller" to "Administrator" to edit or remove items. - Similar Threads - Home Changing TrustedInstaller

2. Changing the owner of C drive from administrator to TrustedInstaller

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing the owner of C drive from administrator to TrustedInstaller: Earlier I have changed the owner to trusted installer but now whenever i install any software every time while opening it ask for administrator password and has a UAC shield. After the name of the owner also of C drive there is a UAC shield .When I am changing the owner to...
  3. How to change security of C drive from administrator to TrustedInstaller

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change security of C drive from administrator to TrustedInstaller: Earlier I have changed the security of whole C drive from trusted Installer to Administrator but now I again want to set it as TrustedInstaller because every time while performing any action line downloading software, opening software it as for administrator password and also...
  4. Windows 10 Home Edition - Change TIme Zone - Unable to Continue - Contact Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Home Edition - Change TIme Zone - Unable to Continue - Contact Administrator: I have Windows 10 Home Edition How to change Time Zone to local time zone Please advise [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-edition-change-time-zone-unable-to/e752e871-c58b-4536-8331-7e23890f2038
  5. windows 10 home suddenly changed to enterprise edition.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 home suddenly changed to enterprise edition.: hello everyone, can some one help me out please!! I have Dell inspiron Which had liscened copy of windows 8.1 and activation status after and before upgrading to windows 10 home via media creation tool , was, " Your windows is activated thru digital liscence linked to your...
  6. How to remove the TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to remove the TrustedInstaller: Is this a virus or something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-the-trustedinstaller/07dba4f9-97e5-4811-a90d-e72821273afe
  7. Removal of automatic message on Windows 10 Home Edition

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Removal of automatic message on Windows 10 Home Edition: I recently read an article showing how you can write a customized message that is displayed each time Windows is booted. The method I used was to run regedit and follow the instructions. I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current...
  8. Help with changing windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 home edition.

Help with changing windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 home edition.: change windows 10 pro edition that is not activated to windows 10 home un activated so I can use a product key to activate windows 10 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-changing-windows-10-pro-edition-to/59ef65b3-3351-4c92-8736-52d8ea06034e
  9. Removing and Changing an administrator in Windows 10

Removing and Changing an administrator in Windows 10: My brother gave me his computer when he upgraded. How do I remove him as an administrator and make myself the administrator?...
  10. Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi, i have upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. I 'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro edition from usb installation files and not store. After running setup.exe and choosing Upgrade i reach in a screen as this but it says home instead of pro and i...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows administrator authorization

2. need permission from trusted installer error