Windows 10: Windows 10 Home Crashes often for no apparent reason

Discus and support Windows 10 Home Crashes often for no apparent reason in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'll say up front that I'm a retired PC / Systems Consultant (over 40 years), so, I've done my fair share of troubleshooting. This issue has got me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Clem Patafio, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Home Crashes often for no apparent reason

I'll say up front that I'm a retired PC / Systems Consultant (over 40 years), so, I've done my fair share of troubleshooting. This issue has got me stumped!

I purchased a new HP Envy 700-406 desktop PC. I've had it for about 3 years. It came with a free upgrade to Windows 10 Home, so I upgraded it. Within a few months, the system began randomly crashing.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps I could think of or find online, including System Restore, verifying and updating all hardware drivers, hardware diagnostics, etc. The system would sometimes go for months without crashing. Other times (like the last several days), it would crash multiple times each day. There was no pattern, i.e. sometimes it would just be sitting with no apps open and when I'd come back to it, it was frozen. Other times, I'd be in Outlook or browsing the web and it would crash. I could be browsing in Chrome, Edge, even IE and might crash. Usually, the crash would result in the system freezing and had to be cold booted. Occasionally (rarely), the crash would result in a BSOD. When there was a BSOD, the error code was not always the same. This last time it was REFERENCE BY POINTER. Other times, it was PFN LIST CORRUPT as well as others.

I've also gone through 3 hard drives during this time. They would become corrupted and I'd replace them... usually keeping the corrupt drive as a data drive. Each time, I would either do a clean install of Windows 10 Home or I'd use the recovery USB that I'd created early on to restore the system to the factory default, then upgrade to Windows 10 again. Each time, within a few months, the crashing would begin again!

The only reason I haven't done a refresh is that I have so many applications installed that I dread having to reinstall and reconfigure them again. I've used Macrium Reflect to create backup images... but, I'm afraid to use them to restore the system for fear that they contain some corruption that will just start the problem over again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Clem

:)

Clem Patafio, Mar 13, 2019
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Home Crashes often for no apparent reason

all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Home Crashes often for no apparent reason

1. Windows 10 Home Crashes often for no apparent reason - Similar Threads - Home Crashes often

2. Forza Horizon 4 crashes for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forza Horizon 4 crashes for no apparent reason: I have asked the same question before here and on the Forza support. Neither could answer what was wrong and F support said I should ask here.I'll link the previous entry here:...
  3. Forza Horizon 4 crashes for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forza Horizon 4 crashes for no apparent reason: I have asked the same question before here and on the Forza support. Neither could answer what was wrong and F support said I should ask here.I'll link the previous entry here:...
  4. Multiple BSOD with no apparent reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSOD with no apparent reason: Hi, recently my PC encounters more and more BSODFirst BSOD was "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" that happened dozens of timesThan new code "KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION" just onceAnd the latest one "ATTEMPTED_WRITEN_TO_READONLY_MEMORY"I have reinstalled my GPU driver after...
  5. Windows keeps freezing for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps freezing for no apparent reason: I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 today. I put it on a USB, wiped every drive clean, and reinstalled Windows on my SSD. However, the system keeps freezing at random, and I have no idea why. It doesn’t seem to be linked to any program running. I’ll just be doing...
  6. Explorer keeps crashing every minute for no apparent reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer keeps crashing every minute for no apparent reason: I've had my pc for months now, and this problem only persisted a few days ago. Right from startup, my desktop, taskbar, and all of explorer (I even have trouble getting to settings) crash when I click on them and they restart by themselves. All my apps are working perfectly,...
  7. Screen Freezes for no apparent reason.

Screen Freezes for no apparent reason.: I am experiencing freezing of my Windows 10 laptop for no apparent reason when in the middle of, say, viewing a website. When this occurs the mouse or touchpad nor anything on the keyboard will function. To get the laptop, which is new, running again necessitates pressing...
  8. Windows 10 constantly crashing for no apparent reason

Windows 10 constantly crashing for no apparent reason: Hello. Recently, my computer had started to crash constantly for no apparent reason with a new, random error code each and every time. I do not know what is causing the crashes because it does not show me. When trying to find out what failed using WhoCrashed gave no...
  9. W10 Crashing Often for a Different Reason Each Time

W10 Crashing Often for a Different Reason Each Time: A friend built this computer for me ~2 years ago, and since then I've replaced some hardware components and updated it to Windows 10. Since I've updated it, however, it's started crashing quite frequently with various different stopcodes (or without one at all), and I've been...
  10. Windows 10 home edition keeps hanging, no apparant reason.

Windows 10 home edition keeps hanging, no apparant reason.: Laptop keeps hanging, have followed steps about letting Windows control power management and updated some drivers, but still randomly hangs (normally after a few minutes of inactivity, or when I am using a web browser). No obvious cause, any tips? thanks....