Windows 10: Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

Discus and support Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an Unallocated partition between two allocated partitions (one is Recovery Partition, other is a Primary partition). When I try to allocate a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MartyB46, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MartyB46 Win User

Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

I have an Unallocated partition between two allocated partitions (one is Recovery Partition, other is a Primary partition).

When I try to allocate a new Simple Volume in that unallocated partition, I get an error:

The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID', and is both preceded and followed by a partition of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID'.

What?

:)

MartyB46, Aug 20, 2019

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CWindows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

HDD partitioned to unallocated space after performing scan & fix on Windows 10.

Hello Kyle,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further on the query, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you able to view the hard disk in File explorer option on the PC?
    • With the hard disk connected to the PC, are you able to recognize the device under Disk management?

You might be facing the above issue due to the unallocated letter for the drive. Unallocated drives are those whose drive letters are not allocated when initially partitioned or after formatting. You will be able to view the drive on your PC if you have
    allocated a drive name for the partition created. The drive will not be visible on the PC if you do not allocate a drive letter or a drive name.

Method 1: Check if the drive is shown in File Explorer. If the drive is not shown in the
    File Explorer, allocate a drive letter to the HDD by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management
      option from the context menu. Check if the drive is visible in the window.
    • If visible, right click on the Unallocated disk drive and select
      New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions where in the process you will get to a window where you can allocate a drive name for the HDD.
    • After allocating a drive letter, right click on the drive and select
      Open
      . Check if you are able to open the drive in File Explorer.
    • Close the window and check if you are able to install Windows 10.

Method 2: As easeus partition wizard is not a Microsoft product, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer support for further assistance on the query if the issue persists.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition

1. Windows 10 Home Disk Management problem allocating an unallocated partition - Similar Threads - Home Disk Management

2. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  3. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  4. Problem allocating external disk.

Problem allocating external disk.: I stripped the hard drive from my old laptop to use as a backup but it wont allow me to create a new volume. The only options i have are shown in the screenshot. Is there a fix to this?[ATTACH]...
  5. Allocate unallocated storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocate unallocated storage: [IMG] I have a 1TB nvme ssd with 100GB of unallocated storage. When I right-click on my (C:) extend volume is grayed out. Is there any way to add this 100GB of unallocated storage to my existing (C:) drive?...
  6. Disk Partition Unallocated Space

Disk Partition Unallocated Space: [ATTACH]Hi team, I recently tried installing windows 7 and during installation, I got the message that Windows can't get installed on the selected disk due to MBR style. I converted the MBR style to GPT style by allocating 100Gb to selected Disk 0. Now after...
  7. Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu: Hi all; I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right section. Here is the story. Sorry it is long, but I tried to make it as clear as possible for you to understand: I have a y700...
  8. Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Difficulty allocating an unallocated partition after removing ubuntu: Hi all; I am new to this forum and did not know where to post my question, so I chose the general support. Please feel free to move it to the right section. Here is the story. Sorry it is long, but I tried to make it as clear as possible for you to understand: I have a y700...
  9. Unable to allocate or merge the unallocated disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to allocate or merge the unallocated disk space: i installed ubuntu with windows like in a dual boot setup after sometime i didn't required it so i deleted ubuntu and removed the dual boot... now when i try to reclaim the partition of around 45 GB to be used for ubuntu i am neither able to merge it with my main data drive...
  10. Windows 10 Disk Partition Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Disk Partition Unallocated Space: How do I get my unallocated space to the C drive. (see attached picture) I can't expand the C partition because its grayed out. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-partition-unallocated-space/0fdfabb6-2221-4dcb-a4e0-bc2a51ce8917"