Windows 10: Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives

Discus and support Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, my Windows 10 Home system does not recognize Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives anymore, while it still worked perfectly when I tried a few days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MarcelD73, Feb 9, 2020.

1. MarcelD73 Win User

Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives

Hello,

my Windows 10 Home system does not recognize Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives anymore, while it still worked perfectly when I tried a few days ago. No problems on a Windows 10 Pro system, so there are ovviously no technical issues with the drives.

The system recognizes that I plug in a device as indicated by the notification sound, and the symbol for removing devices showing up. But the usual message that the drive cannot be opened due to encryption does not show up, and the drive itself is not visible in the Windows Explorer, while it is visible in the device manager.

When I check the status of the BDESVC service, it's turned off. Manually starting the service does not help, as does setting the parameter start type back to "automatic", since the parameter is reset after restarting the system.

Any ideas?

:)

MarcelD73, Feb 9, 2020

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Bitlocker encrypted corrupt usb drive.

Hi Patriq,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

I can understand the situation must be difficult for you when the Bitlocker encrypted USB drive doesn't work as it should.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Does the USB drive work on a different PC?
    2. What is the error code or message you get while trying to access the USB drive?
    3. Do you have the Bitlocker recovery key for the external hard disk?.

However, let us follow these methods to ensure that the USB drive gets recognized on the PC. Once this is done then you can use the encryption key to decrypt the drive after which you can access the files on the drive. As there is data on the drive
    which is not backed up, suggest you not to format the drive as this action will result in data loss.

Method 1: Plug in the USB drive into another PC to check if the drive gets recognized and if yes, then you can try to access the files in the drive.

Method 2: As you are able to see the drive when you boot under UEFI, suggest you to run check disk to fix any bad sectors on the external hard drive and check if that helps.

Check Disk or Chkdsk.exe is a built-in Windows utility used to check for errors in the disk media and in the file system. The Check Disk utility or ChkDsk.exe checks file system errors, bad sectors, lost clusters, and so on.

Note: While performing check disk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

1. Open Command Prompt in admin mode. Click Start, type ‘Command Prompt’ and you’ll see “Command Prompt” listed as the main result. Right-click that result and choose “Run as administrator”.
    2. Once CMD window is open, type ‘chkdsk (Your problem drive letter without parentheses): /x. This forces the volume to dismount. Also invalidates all open file handles.
    Once this is done, restart the computer and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives

Bitlocker Drive Encryption(Not Responding) at 84.5%

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are trying to encrypt the complete hard drive with BitLocker Drive Encryption and now it’s not responding as well.

We would suggest you to refer this
    BitLocker: Use BitLocker Drive Encryption Tools to manage BitLocker
    article and check manage-bde section, if that helps to make the changes.

However, for further queries we would suggest you to post your query in

TechNet
    forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives

1. Windows 10 Home does not open Bitlocker-encrypted USB drives - Similar Threads - Home does open

2. Can't Encrypt USB Drive with Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Encrypt USB Drive with Bitlocker: Hi - I have a new HP laptop that came with Windows 11 Home. I upgraded it to Windows 11 Pro, because I want to use BitLocker. I was able to turn on BitLocker on the C drive. However, when I try to encrypt a USB drive with BitLocker, I receive an error saying: "Starting...
  3. Can't Encrypt USB Drive with Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Encrypt USB Drive with Bitlocker: Hi - I have a new HP laptop that came with Windows 11 Home. I upgraded it to Windows 11 Pro, because I want to use BitLocker. I was able to turn on BitLocker on the C drive. However, when I try to encrypt a USB drive with BitLocker, I receive an error saying: "Starting...
  4. open bitlocker encrypted external drive on win 11 home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    open bitlocker encrypted external drive on win 11 home: Dear all,I have a bitlocker encrypted external drive, and I am using a laptop with win 11 home OS.There was no issue before a recent win 11 update, and I could open the encrypted drive with the password.However, since the win 11 update, the laptop with win 11 can not...
  5. open bitlocker encrypted external drive on win 11 home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    open bitlocker encrypted external drive on win 11 home: Dear all,I have a bitlocker encrypted external drive, and I am using a laptop with win 11 home OS.There was no issue before a recent win 11 update, and I could open the encrypted drive with the password.However, since the win 11 update, the laptop with win 11 can not...
  6. Using BITLOCKER on Windows 10 HOME to encrypt an USB FLASH

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using BITLOCKER on Windows 10 HOME to encrypt an USB FLASH: Just purchased BITLOCKER for Windows 10 HOME. What I bought it for was not to protect my LT but EXTERNAL HD that might be stolen, etc. BUT all it seems to want to do is protect my ROOT/internal drive. BITLOCKER appears to have NO SUPPORT for questions. My questions: If I...
  7. BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?

BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?: I just got myself a 64gb USB flash stick drive and would like to encrypt it with BitLocker encrypting the ENTIRE drive which is the way I prefer it to be. Is it safe to just encrypt the USB stick BEFORE adding data to it? Or, will it also be fine to add the data first and...
  8. Encrypt USB drive to use in Windows 10 Home

Encrypt USB drive to use in Windows 10 Home: I have two pcs' that I use frequently, 1st is my main desktop with Windows 10 Home and local account and the 2nd is my laptop which I use less frequent with Windows 10 Pro with local account too, non of my pcs' have a Microsoft Account to sign in. My question is if I encrypt...
  9. Bitlocker encrypted corrupt usb drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker encrypted corrupt usb drive.: I have a seagate usb 3 external hard drive. it has been bitlocker encrypted. It has also been damaged in some way. When I boot my machine with legacy setup in the bios most usb drives show up (flash drive and another external usb 3 drive). The problem drive is not showing...
  10. Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home

Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home: I recently under went the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now find I can't read a BitLocker encrypted USB. Windows file explorer does not recognise the drive and there is no where I can enter the password. Can anybody help. Many thanks 20892