Windows 10: Windows 10 Home In-place Upgrade Error

Discus and support Windows 10 Home In-place Upgrade Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I have Windows 10 Home currently installed on my Asus X102BA. I got Windows 10 thru upgrade. Original OS is Windows 8.1. Upgrade went well.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vicnata, Jun 27, 2016.

1. vicnata Win User

Windows 10 Home In-place Upgrade Error

Hello! I have Windows 10 Home currently installed on my Asus X102BA. I got Windows 10 thru upgrade. Original OS is Windows 8.1. Upgrade went well. Reset to PC (Keep my Files) went well also after a few months. However, just this month, I noticed that every time I would leave my laptop on for a long time, it would not wake up from sleep. Even pressing Sleep won't show any improvement. The same week, upon opening laptop, it demands System Repair. It failed. Tried System Restore. I can use the laptop but waking up from sleep is still not fixed. And then, just last week, all three ports stopped working. One is USB 3.0, the other two are USB 2.0. Flash drives are functional upon using it on another laptop. Connected my Transcend 1TB hard drive, still the same. I always get the 'beep' sound but it won't show on My Computer. Even SD Port won't work. Here are the steps I've tried so far:

1. Used another User Account. Ports are still not working.
    2. Checked Disk Management. None of the drives are listed there. I even tried changing the Drive Letters of the unnamed drive but it won't let me. None of the Capacity is similar with the drives I am using.
    2. Tried updating USB Root Hub and USB Host Controller. Says updated. However, name of the flash drive would show up under Other Devices.
    3. Name of the device and USB Controller both has Code 28: The drivers for this device are not installed. There are no compatible drivers for this device. Updating it proves to be useless. 4. Turned off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power to all USB Root Hubs. Still nothing.
    5. Enabled/Disabled USB Selective Suspend Setting. Still none.
    6. Enabled/Disabled Turn on fast startup. Same.
    7. Uninstalled USB Controller. Nothing.
    8. Windows Update. Up to date.
    9. System Restore. Still not working.
    10. Reset PC. Reset is unsuccessful. First Reset stopped at 8%. Second stopped at 35%.
    11. Contacted Microsoft thru chat. Technician wasn't able to fixed the issue. He suggested In-place Upgrade wherein he mentioned that none of my files and apps will be deleted. I'll be fine with apps being deleted. Technician downloaded Media Creation Tool. Told him I already have an installer. He insisted that I still download it and took it from there.

• It took me 4 hours to download the Windows including its creation and what not to be greeted with Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot Windows and run setup again.
    • Tried my installer. Same error.
    • Used another account. Same.
    • Retried it the following day. Same.
    • Freed the Disk C for some space. Still the same.
    • Deleted $Windows.~WS but cannot delete $Windows.~BT. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program.
    • Entered Safe Mode. Changed permission. It won't let me delete WinSxS folder. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program.
    • Used CMD to delete it. Nothing.
    • Tried deleting Windows.old. You require permission from SYSTEM to make this changes. SYSTEM permission is equal with my account. Used another account. None.

My user account uses Microsoft e-mail while the other account is a local account.

Please help me with my concern. I just want the USB ports to work. And yeah, fixing the Reset Issue will also be good without deleting my files. But the ports first so that I can transfer them to my external HDD. I was busy with school lately and unfortunately, that entitled me to download too many files and be not able to back this up. Uploading these to cloud will be too time-consuming as I have many files that I have to keep and the other partition is a bit low already. *cry*cry*cry

Thank you!

P.S.:
    I can still charge my Android phone thru the USB cable but it won't show up.

:)

vicnata, Jun 27, 2016
  2. hunter6 Win User

Windows 10 Product Key Error

Hey Guys !

Recently Some Window 10 Update errors compelled me to do a "In-place upgrade" of my windows 10 OS (1703) , However at the setup , it asks for the Product and gives an error even I enter the correct one. Kindly Help. I'm using Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit.

hunter6, Jun 27, 2016
  3. Windows is not Activated

Entered the product key and it said it didn't work. The error code was 0xc004f050. I think I actually originally had windows 10 home and have accidentally upgraded with an illegitimate product key. Although, surely if it was illegitimate it wouldn't have
    worked in the first place? Is there any way to downgrade to windows 10 home for free?

Benjamin_Evans, Jun 27, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would create either a USB flash drive or a CD/DVD from Kyhi's recovery tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from that. Hopefully the USB ports work and you can use File Explorer to copy your data files or use Macrium Reflect Free to make an entire system image backup. Then you can wipe the hard drive and start with a clean install of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jun 27, 2016
  5. vicnata Win User
    Hello! Thank you for your input. *Smile

I did the steps involved in creating the rescue disk. However, it won't let me boot from USB through the UEFI. Reset which erases everything was useless and left me with a device which will only open with a blue screen saying that the reset wasn't successful and won't boot. Tried choosing Factory Reset. It worked. That is, aside from the fact that it went back to Windows 8.1 again. The good thing is it worked and it did not delete the other partition where my files are. Guess I have to install Windows 10 again. *cry

Anyway, thank you so much for your help. I'll start making multiple copies of my files and system image now and bury all those precious disk or else someone's going to format the external HDD again without my permission. HDD's mine, btw. *Shock

Thank you!

vicnata, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home In-place Upgrade Error - Similar Threads - Home place Upgrade

2. Windows In-place upgrade errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows In-place upgrade errors: Hello so I wanted to do the Windows In-place upgrade by using the ISO. Everything went fine, but after about the second restart of the computer because of the update, the blue death popped up with this error: INVALID_DATA_ACCESS_TRAP. So I had to manually shut down the...
  3. Windows In-place upgrade errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows In-place upgrade errors: Hello so I wanted to do the Windows In-place upgrade by using the ISO. Everything went fine, but after about the second restart of the computer because of the update, the blue death popped up with this error: INVALID_DATA_ACCESS_TRAP. So I had to manually shut down the...
  4. Windows in-place upgrade error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows in-place upgrade error: I have a Dell Dimension XPS-8940 11th gen Intel i processor, 64 GB RAM running Win 11 Pro22H2. For a number of reasons, I need to do an in-place upgrade, but it won't run- when I mount the ISO and run setup, it tells me that the PC doesn't meet Windows 11 requirements because...
  5. Windows in-place upgrade error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows in-place upgrade error: I have a Dell Dimension XPS-8940 11th gen Intel i processor, 64 GB RAM running Win 11 Pro22H2. For a number of reasons, I need to do an in-place upgrade, but it won't run- when I mount the ISO and run setup, it tells me that the PC doesn't meet Windows 11 requirements because...
  6. In-place upgrade error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-place upgrade error: Hello everyone, I tried a In-place upgrade by downloading the windows 10 iso, but as soon as the installation process start (after selecting keep personal files and apps) the process fails at 0%. Using Windows 10 version 21H1 build 19043.1081. Error log attached 181888
  7. windows 10 in place upgrade

windows 10 in place upgrade: how to preform windows 10 in place upgrade 1. download media creation tool https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 2.accepte the license terms [ATTACH] 3.chose create installation media [ATTACH] 4.check original language installed 4.1 open powershell as...
  8. Windows 10 In Place Upgrade Error

Windows 10 In Place Upgrade Error: Hi! I'm trying to do an In-Place Upgrade to my Windows 10, but there is an error that doesn't let me run the tool. Here is a screenshot: [ATTACH] How can I solve this?...
  9. In place Upgrade Windows Enterprise with Windows 10 Pro or Home?

In place Upgrade Windows Enterprise with Windows 10 Pro or Home?: Can I download a WIndows Home or Pro ISO file then use it to in-place upgrade a Windows Enterprise system? Will it not alter some GPO configured by a system admin if it is possible? Thanks 121474
  10. In place Upgrade Windows Enterprise with Windows 10 Pro or Home?

in Windows 10 Support
    In place Upgrade Windows Enterprise with Windows 10 Pro or Home?: Can I download a WIndows Home or Pro ISO file then use it to in-place upgrade a Windows Enterprise system? Will it not alter some GPO configured by a system admin if it is possible? Thanks 121474