Windows 10: Windows 10 Home instead of Pro

Discus and support Windows 10 Home instead of Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having an issue trying to install Windows 10 PRO. Right now I have a 7 home version pre-installed, and I'm trying to install Windows 10 PRO... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by josselin8, Dec 9, 2015.

1. josselin8 Win User

Windows 10 Home instead of Pro

Hi,

I'm having an issue trying to install Windows 10 PRO. Right now I have a 7 home version pre-installed, and I'm trying to install Windows 10 PRO with my OEM key.

When I download W10 form Microsoft website and create the bootable device, after starting the installation, the program automatically install the Home version instead of PRO.

I don't know how to make it install the PRO version. It doesn't even ask me during setup.

Do you know how I can make the Pro version installs instead of Home, maybe you have somewhere an ISO file with only the Pro version ?

Thanks!

:)

josselin8, Dec 9, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro instead of Home after Home to Pro upgrade

I have a laptop that had Windows 10 Home.

I bought a license key for Windows 10 Pro and upgraded the laptop.

Once everything was done I created media for re-installation because I wanted to do a clean install, because in the past if I left it alone from an upgrade things just wouldn't work well.

So I installed Windows 10 fresh after cleaning the drive and it installed Windows 10 home. I don't want to put in the license key and have it upgrade to pro again, because as mentioned I want it to be a straightforward clean install.

How do I get it to install pro only and ask me for the key?

RockstarAgent, Dec 9, 2015
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Windows 10 Pro instead of Home after Home to Pro upgrade

Try this:

Create a PID.txt file containing the following text:

[PID]

Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The Xs get replaced with your Windows 10 Pro product key. If your Windows 10 Pro activation is with a digital license, then insert the generic product key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Save the PID.txt file to the \Sources folder on your Windows 10 installation media (USB flash drive).

Windows 10 decides which version (Home or Pro) to install in the following order:

1. Finding a product key in the PID.txt file

2. Finding a product key in UEFI/BIOS

3. The user manually enters a product key when asked for one

4. No product key is found or entered - then the user is asked for Home or Pro

This is what I have done.

Time Lady, Dec 9, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Home instead of Pro

Windows 7 Home only qualifies for 10 Home. To get 10 Pro you need 7 Pro or 7 Ultimate.

alphanumeric, Dec 9, 2015
  5. josselin8 Win User
    Thanks for your answer. So it checks the BIOS before?
    This way, how I can make a clean install of W10PRO from a Home version of Windows ?

Joss

josselin8, Dec 9, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    You will need to purchase a Win 10 Pro license. You can buy it at the Store for $99 US.

Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Activation > right side, Go to the Store ................

You could also purchase a Win 7 Pro or Ultimate license, if that proves to be cheaper than paying $99 US. Do a clean Install to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate and then upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

davidhk, Dec 9, 2015
  7. Windows 7 doesn't have an embedded BIOS key by the way, but yes, on a clean install it will check for an OEM embedded key. Windows 8/8.1 and 10 keys are used with build 10586. If there is no embedded key you will get a menu to select Home or Pro. That's on a clean install when booting from your install media. If your doing and upgrade from a currently installed OS, that OS determines what version of 10 you get. 7 Home gets you 10 Home. If you go to change product key and enter this key, VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T it will upgrade to Pro. It won't activate though, unless the PC has a digital entitlement to Pro. If you have a Retail 10 Pro key you can upgrade and activate with that key.

8. josselin8 Win User

If I understood, now that I have Windows 10 Home, I can upgrade to Pro by entering this key during upgrade VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and after I can activate my W10PRO with my official OEM key ?

Thanks for your help, joss

josselin8, Dec 9, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    No. You still need a Pro key to activate.

davidhk, Dec 9, 2015
  10. What official OEM key, from where? Where did you get said key, and is it a 10 Pro key?

11. josselin8 Win User
    Yes it's a 10 Pro oem key that I bought online, but by default the ISO put me the Home version.
    As I understood I can upgrade from w10 home to pro with the upgrade key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T, and after upgrading I can activate with my Pro key right ?

josselin8, Dec 9, 2015
  12. Do the change key but just enter your 10 Pro key. I hope that was a reputable web site you bought that key from? Normally you would be buying retail keys, sounds fishy to me, unless you bought a system builders package.

13. Windows 10 Home instead of Pro

What OS originally came on that PC?

14. josselin8 Win User
    Yes, It's not a problem of key because I contacted Microsoft and they confirmed my key is valid.
    Do you know which command to use to change the key once upgraded?

josselin8, Dec 9, 2015
  15. josselin8 Win User
    Win 7 home *Smile

josselin8, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home instead of Pro - Similar Threads - Home instead Pro

2. Bought Windows 10 Pro Instead of Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought Windows 10 Pro Instead of Windows 10 Home: Hello,So I decided to purchase a license for Windows 10 which I've been running on my iMac via Boot Camp. However, it turns out that I may have bought the wrong version. I think for whatever reason, when I selected the option to upgrade, the Store brought me to Windows 10 Pro...
  3. Bought Windows 10 Pro Instead of Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bought Windows 10 Pro Instead of Windows 10 Home: Hello,So I decided to purchase a license for Windows 10 which I've been running on my iMac via Boot Camp. However, it turns out that I may have bought the wrong version. I think for whatever reason, when I selected the option to upgrade, the Store brought me to Windows 10 Pro...
  4. Bought Windows 10 Pro Instead of Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows home instead of pro

Windows home instead of pro: i used a bootable media to reboot my pc but the time i put my product key back in my pc it showed windows 10 home instead of windows 10 pro. what i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-home-instead-of-pro/d2e64bdf-2e99-493c-8d6c-4531079f85ac
  6. Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro

Windows 10 Home installed instead of pro: My friend did a clean install of windows. He had windows 10 pro which was activated with his account linked to the key. He forgot that the media he used was fir windows 10 home. When he finished everything it said that windows was activated with a digital key linked to your...
  7. Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Pro instead of Home: I purchased Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. I downloaded and ran the Media Installation Tool. It did not give me an option to select Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro, it just had the option "Windows 10". I ran it from a computer that was already running Pro, and...
  8. Dowloaded Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home

Dowloaded Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home: I accidentally downloaded Windows 10 Pro instead of Home and I am having difficulty switching to Home. I used a disk my Dad gave me to download it (thanks Dad). I tried the reinstall options that wouldn't delete all of my files and they ended up only allowing me to redownload...
  9. Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home was installed

Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home was installed: I purchased a used Dell OptiPlex 7040 with no drives. I purchased a new M.2 SSD and installed it. I purchased Win10 Home and have my key. I downloaded all software to create a USB and the ISO to create a DVD. No matter what I use to install, it always install Win10 Pro...
  10. Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro

Got Win 10 Home instead of Pro: Have a HP Spectre x2 laptop/tablet that came with Win 8 OEM installed, updated it to Win 8.1 Pro with one of my MSDN keys and all was Ok. Just recently upgraded to Win 10 and expected to get Win 10 Pro but got Win 10 Home. Don't know if anyone has seen this before but would...