Windows 10: Windows 10 home network / file sharing

Discus and support Windows 10 home network / file sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is an extension of a thread of the same name in Feb 2019. I've been away for the last 2 weeks and now find I cannot reply on the earlier thread.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lindsay Graham, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10 home network / file sharing

This is an extension of a thread of the same name in Feb 2019. I've been away for the last 2 weeks and now find I cannot reply on the earlier thread. So I'll start again with an expanded version of the problem.

I have 3 Windows 10 computers connected over a wifi network. LDG and PFG are W10 build 1809, DELL2 is W10 build 1803. In an attempt to fix or at least localise the network/file sharing problem, I've limited sharing on each computer to a minimum. On LDG, only /Documents (on the C:/ drive) has been shared. On PFG, only E:/ drive has been shared (the OS is on solid state drive C:/). On DELL2, only D:/ (data drive, OS is on SSD C:/).

On LDG, I cannot see or access shared files on PFG or DELL2. On PFG, I can see and access shared files on LDG and I can see the shared folder on DELL2 but cannot access those files (the error message is "Windows cannot access \\DELL2\D. You do not have permission to access \\DELL2\D. ...". On DELL2, I can see and access shared files on LDG and I can see the shared folder on PFG but cannot access those files (same error message).

On each computer, the shared folder or drive has been fully shared, giving Full Control to Everyone. On each computer, the Network Profile Status = Private. On each computer, Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host have been set to Automatic (Delayed Start).

I'm at my wits end trying to set this up properly. Can anyone solve the problem or at least tell me what might be causing the problem? In the previous thread, Greg Carmack suggested that I report this to Microsoft use the Feedback Hub and post back a Share link from Feedback here. I did report it, but cannot now find out how to get back into that feedback to share it. Microsoft never makes anything easy!

Logically, it seems that the problem might with sharing of local data drives -- should they somehow be treated differently?

:)

Lindsay Graham, Mar 12, 2019

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 12, 2019
  3. sml156 Win User
    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10

Hi Brink great tutorial as usual.

I could not help but notice in step 1 you say to enable " Function Discovery Resource Publication "

In most of the posts I have read on Ten Forums they also suggest to enable " Function Discovery Provider Host "

Are you suggesting that Function Discovery Provider Host is not necessary.

Windows 10 home network / file sharing [​IMG]

sml156, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Windows 10 home network / file sharing

Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 home network / file sharing

1. Windows 10 home network / file sharing - Similar Threads - home network file

2. Home network file sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  3. Home network file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  4. Home Network File Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Network File Sharing: Good day everyone,I have a small 2 computer home P2P network defined. Hardware is 1 Dell XPS 8700, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win10 Pro V 21H1. 2nd Computer is a Dell Inspiron-15-3567, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win 10...
  5. Sharing files over home network Windows 10

Sharing files over home network Windows 10: I have always been able to share over home network, one Windows 10 PC let's call it Bill and one Windows 8 Ben. Since replacing Windows 8 PC with new W10 I'll still call it Ben I am unable to access Ben from Bill, but fine the other way round. All permissions are set...
  6. Sharing Files - Home Network - Window 10

Sharing Files - Home Network - Window 10: I have a a TP-Link router that I have a hard drive (HHD) connected. Within my home network, my Smart TVs, Android Tablets, and Windows 8 Laptops can see the HHD no problem. My Windows 10 machine is not able to see it. The Win 10 machine file explorer: - Under Computer it...
  7. Sharing files on home network

Sharing files on home network: I have 3 computers on my home wireless network all running windows 10. I have done the steps to give access to Everyone but I cannot see the other computers on the network at all - or the folders I have shared. What am I missing?...
  8. Sharing files in home network

Sharing files in home network: The two computers in my home network run on Windows 10. Computer 1 has a printer attached to it. Since upgrade 1803 I cannot share files nor can I use the printer from computer 2. I have followed the instructions to install the home network that I have found on the internet...
  9. File sharing over a home network

File sharing over a home network: Hello, By following instructions from this site for sharing files on my home network, which has two computers on it, I have been able to share files from one computer, a laptop connected to the network, with a desktop computer on the same network. I have not been able to...
  10. Home Network File Sharing

Home Network File Sharing: Hello, I have recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop. I know that there is no longer a "homegroup" setting for file sharing. I have set up network discovery and I can access my files on my desktop from my laptop - which is what I want....