Windows 10: Windows 10 Home - paths from encrypted drive popping up in run menu

Discus and support Windows 10 Home - paths from encrypted drive popping up in run menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got an truecrypt partition with what we'll call some unflattering files. Nothing illegal or immoral, but nothing you want girlfriends or family... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobmcdole, Apr 8, 2016.

1. bobmcdole Win User

Windows 10 Home - paths from encrypted drive popping up in run menu

I've got an truecrypt partition with what we'll call some unflattering files. Nothing illegal or immoral, but nothing you want girlfriends or family members to find either.

I've got recently used files and all that turned off, but there's one place they're still popping up. If I open the run menu and type the letter "r," I'm greeted with a list of file paths whose existence I'd prefer Windows not advertise in any way ("R:" is where I mount the tc volume.)

My assumption is that it's related to Windows indexing, but none of the elements to manage indexing options that my google queries are suggesting seem to exist on my PC, so I'm guessing they only apply to Windows 10 Pro? At this point I'd settle for deleting the index entirely and disabling it, assuming the index is actually the problem. In any event, pic related.

Windows 10 Home - paths from encrypted drive popping up in run menu [​IMG]

Edit: So I've disabled the Windows Search service and deleted the Windows.edb file, which I understand is the index. Rebooted, and it's still showing up. I bounced over to my admin account, and it's not happening there. So it's on a per-user basis. Presumably in one of the AppData directories.

Edit2: Solved the problem by disabling autocomplete and deleted autocomplete history in the Content tab in Internet Explorer settings. Ridiculous.

:)

bobmcdole, Apr 8, 2016

2. Bitlocker Issues

There is no way to permanent decrypt if you have Win10 Home, you may try using another PC which was Pro Edition.

If there is no other path then the last choice was downgrade your windows back to Windows 7 where you encrypt it.

{DarrenTan}, Apr 8, 2016
  3. lndo7809 Win User
    Device Encryption, locked my ISCSI virtual drive, now it won't unlock it.

So, I connected my dell venue 11 pro, to my iscsi virtual drive that is on my home windows server. I set it up, then, windows said that it needed to restart , i don't remember what it said, but i had to go and when i came back the laptop somehow encrypted
    itself and the network drive on its own . After a little while I found i could turn off the encryption by going into settings , about , then turned off device encryption. It did after some time, unlock the C: drive but it didnt unlock the iscsi virtual drive.
    Whenever I connect to the drive , it says: The Bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatable with your version of windows. Try opening the drive using a new version of windows. When I try to right click the drive and hit unlock it says application
    not found. The laptop is running windows 10 Home. Also the other computer connected to the iscsi is running windows 10 Home and the server is running windows server 2012 r2 standard. Any ideas you have would help.

lndo7809, Apr 8, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 Home - paths from encrypted drive popping up in run menu

1. Windows 10 Home - paths from encrypted drive popping up in run menu - Similar Threads - Home paths encrypted

2. Right click menu pops up Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right click menu pops up Windows 10: Hello! I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series. It's a few years old of course. Recently I had to have a new hard drive and have the system reset. I also had a new keyboard installed after the hard drive because it had a crack.I don't know if it's the system but ever since,...
  3. Encrypt a flash drive - Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypt a flash drive - Windows 10 Home: Can I put a password on a flash drive in Win10? I have worked out how to turn encryption on, but I cannot find how to password protect a flash drive. thank you...
  4. Device encryption menu not found in settings Windows 10 Home

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device encryption menu not found in settings Windows 10 Home: Hi, I turned off the device encryption in settings of Windows 10 home edition. Once, I did that, I was unable to undo that. It took several hours for decryption. After completion, when tried to turn it on again, the message showed, 'Something went wrong, please try...
  5. Drive encryption for windows 10 home

Drive encryption for windows 10 home: Hello, I'm running on windows 10 Home OS, unfortunately i dont have bitlocker available. Is there any other option to encrypt my drives? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-encryption-for-windows-10-home/342ba327-b96a-427b-a827-c2599b5f01f4
  6. Pop up menu keeps popping up!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pop up menu keeps popping up!: [ATTACH] Help! What the heck is this pop up menu on the left? It keeps popping up randomly and I cannot work out how to stop it. Have I enabled something so that key presses trigger it - or what? I just don’t know....
  7. Encrypt USB drive to use in Windows 10 Home

Encrypt USB drive to use in Windows 10 Home: I have two pcs' that I use frequently, 1st is my main desktop with Windows 10 Home and local account and the 2nd is my laptop which I use less frequent with Windows 10 Pro with local account too, non of my pcs' have a Microsoft Account to sign in. My question is if I encrypt...
  8. USB drive is plugged in- no pop up on home screen

USB drive is plugged in- no pop up on home screen: I don't get a pop up on my home screen when I plug a USB drive in. It shows up in This PC & it works, but I want the pop up so I don't have to open This PC...
  9. windows cannot find path: cmd pop up

windows cannot find path: cmd pop up: I'm facing this problem from around 2 months, may be after deleting some apps and softwares from my pc. The problem is that; Every 5 minutes or so, there appears a cmd pop up saying "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\m\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\atusicbd.exe'. Make sure...
  10. Windows 10 home activation pop up

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 home activation pop up: I have a new computer with windows 10 home. I have started getting pop ups saying my license will expire soon. I have spent way to much time on this alreatdy. MSFT automated help, a waste of time. Talked to a person on phone who could not speak understandable english, or...