Windows 10: Windows 10 Home (& Pro) Commercial Use Licensing Question (because Microsoft don't seem to...

Discus and support Windows 10 Home (& Pro) Commercial Use Licensing Question (because Microsoft don't seem to... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The problem is that I have Windows 10 Home on my laptop and Windows 10 Professional on my main PC. Although the many threads on this subject say that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SimonG_1976, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Home (& Pro) Commercial Use Licensing Question (because Microsoft don't seem to...

The problem is that I have Windows 10 Home on my laptop and Windows 10 Professional on my main PC.

Although the many threads on this subject say that you can use both for business use, the fact is that the license terms for BOTH clearly state that neither can be use for commercial use!

Here are two links, the first is to the Microsoft Licensing Agreement for OEM versions (All versions), the second is for Retail versions of Windows (All versions)

These were obtained using the Licensing Terms feature on Microsofts own website... (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/useterms)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/Useterms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/Useterms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

What is important to note here is that the licensing terms are the same for both Home and Pro. There is only one license to download.

Under these terms, section 1 (Overview) b (Additional Terms) (v) states and I quote verbatim... "To the extent included with Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote are licensed for your personal, non-commercial use, unless you have commercial use rights under a separate agreement".

This says that Windows (under any of it guises) is only licensed for personal and not commercial use unless you hold an agreement to the contrary.

I have the same Terms & Conditions on both my Windows Home and Windows Professional installation.

So according to their own license terms, Windows 10 Pro is not licensed for commercial use, let alone Windows 10 home!

I called Microsoft and was cut off the first time after the call operator from Commercial Sales had no idea what I was talking about. When I got through the second time (and linked the operator to the documentation above) he had no real answer other than Windows 10 Pro has a feature set that is meant for business proposes and had no idea why the license terms would say that it was not possible to use it for commercial use.

So he told me to contact Microsoft Legal.

I thought I would try and get a definitive answer here, as what is generally accepted by both the community and by Microsoft operatives themselves, goes against the licensing terms implied by their software.

What I am after is 100% written proof that there are no restrictions on the use of Windows 10 Home or Pro in a commercial setting as right now the documentation says exactly the opposite.

Thanks in advance.

:)

SimonG_1976, Jun 12, 2019

2. Windows 7 OEM license don´t work

Dear community,

last week I bought a new notebook (asus gl752vw). I also bought an windows 7 pro 64 bite oem license. I installed the operating system windows 7 pro on my new notebook, but there was a problem, that the notebook drivers only work with windows 10 64 bit (****.
    I dont know why) I couldn´t even connect to the internet. I thought maybe first I should activate my license. I called the windows hotline and followed the steps. The 9 codes under the phone number of windows worked fine, so I got my activationcode from windows
    per phone. Now the problem was that i missed one letter or number from the activation id, so it said not more compatibIe. So my windows 7 oem license wasnt activated at all. After that I thought it would be better when I install windows 10. After the installation
    of windows 10 64 bit the notebook worked fine and all was possible. The only missing point is, when I wanna activate my license Windows say: "This product key is running on another pc. Please try it with a different key. Error: 0x803FA071.

So when I wanna activate the license now per phone the 9 codes under the number aren´t verificated (that´s what the windows support voice said). Do you know how I can fix the problem or so? I don´t wanna buy a new license if it´s possible.

(sorry for mistakes, cause I´m german).

FabianKlüter, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Jun 12, 2019
  4. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 Home (& Pro) Commercial Use Licensing Question (because Microsoft don't seem to...

Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Home (& Pro) Commercial Use Licensing Question (because Microsoft don't seem to...

1. Windows 10 Home (& Pro) Commercial Use Licensing Question (because Microsoft don't seem to... - Similar Threads - Home Pro Commercial

2. Windows 11 Home - is it OK for commercial use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home - is it OK for commercial use?: Hello, I was trying my best to find out if I can purchase a Windows 11Home NOT PRO for my new laptop so it is not an upgrade which is purchased and will be used for my company so commercial use. I am a solopreneur so it's just me in the company, if this matters in any...
  3. Using Windows Home for Commercial / Company Use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Windows Home for Commercial / Company Use: Hi all.. i wondering if i buy notebook that comes with Windows 10 Home Edition OEM, for commercial or company use? as long as i know and search, there is no statement that company must use Pro Edition, but, suggested to use Pro Edition.or i can still buy Windows 10 Home...
  4. Using Windows Home for Commercial / Company Use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using Windows Home for Commercial / Company Use: Hi all.. i wondering if i buy notebook that comes with Windows 10 Home Edition OEM, for commercial or company use? as long as i know and search, there is no statement that company must use Pro Edition, but, suggested to use Pro Edition.or i can still buy Windows 10 Home...
  5. Using Windows Home for Commercial / Company Use

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. can windows 10 pro be used for commercial purposes ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can windows 10 pro be used for commercial purposes ?: I have purchased a copy of Windows 10 Pro, but can I use Windows 10 Pro for commercial purposes, such as the use of creating books or video content for sale?...
  7. License of Microsoft's 3D Library for commercial use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    License of Microsoft's 3D Library for commercial use: Microsoft has retired Remix 3D. Does that mean all the remaining 3D models in 3D library are owned by Microsoft itself? If so, can I use them to create my own content for free for commercial use? Where can I find the License?...
  8. Commercial Use - Windows Home 10 to Windows 10 Pro

Commercial Use - Windows Home 10 to Windows 10 Pro: Hi, We have a laptop which has Windows 10 Home pre-installed. We want to upgrade this to the Pro edition. This laptop is business property; are we able to upgrade for commercial use? I asked our supplier for an upgraded license but have been told that we are unable to...
  9. Windows Home to Pro using Digital License

Windows Home to Pro using Digital License: Hi, all. Last month, I upgraded my HP laptop from Home to Pro, and received a digital license. I've since had to switch computers, and bought a new ASUS laptop. I removed Pro from the HP, but cannot apply the digital license to the ASUS. There's no way to troubleshoot or...
  10. Windows 10 Home as commercial use

Windows 10 Home as commercial use: Is Windows 10 Home software allows to be use as commercial? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-as-commercial-use/25709e70-6aa9-4a4f-84ab-02ede923719a"