Windows 10: Windows 10 Home Search not possible and Start menu crashes.

Discus and support Windows 10 Home Search not possible and Start menu crashes. in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, This is my first post in this forum. I have two problems with my Laptop installed with Windows 10 Home. I recently re installed Windows... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Lukas I., Jun 22, 2020.

1. Lukas I. Win User

Windows 10 Home Search not possible and Start menu crashes.

Hello,
    This is my first post in this forum.

I have two problems with my Laptop installed with Windows 10 Home. I recently re installed Windows completely new. After some weeks following issues occurred.

- The Cortana search function and the search function in the Explorer does not work any longer. I am unable to click in the field and nothing can be entered there.

- The second problem is whenever I hit the Windows key or click on start menu the error “Your Start menu is not working We will try to fix it the next time you sign in”. Sadly, this problem persists even after I newly sign in.

I tried several things to fix the issue with the search function. In the Control Panel\ \Troubleshooting\System and Security following error is shown “Data directory permissions” “If incorrect permissions are set in the Windows Search data directories, the search index of the computer may not be retrieved or updated by the search service. This can lead to slow searches or incomplete search results.”

The automatic troubleshoot does not work and tried to reassign the permission with power shell to no success.

Also, I tried to create a new User Account which is suggested in several Forums. This was also not possible when I tried the message “No App found, search in App Store?” appeared.

Is there any way to fix this?

Best regards

Lukas

:)

Lukas I., Jun 22, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jun 22, 2020
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Jetster Win User

Jetster, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home Search not possible and Start menu crashes. - Similar Threads - Home Search possible

2. Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.

in Cortana
    Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.: I've had this problem for about 2 years now, live with it, but now I'm in the mood to try fixing it again.I previously attempted to fix it through this thread before giving...
  3. Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.: I've had this problem for about 2 years now, live with it, but now I'm in the mood to try fixing it again.I previously attempted to fix it through this thread before giving...
  4. Windows search, start menu search, Cortana, and calendar crashing immediately.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?: For example, I have a folder called "Asus" in my start menu that has about 8 asus apps in it. I want to be able to search for "Asus" in the search bar to get to it quicker (not having to click the start button and scroll down), but the search bar finds nothing for "Asus". It...
  6. Start menu search, is it possible to remove?

Start menu search, is it possible to remove?: Is is possible to completely remove search from the start menu, or at least have it not return results from any source? submitted by /u/deey001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i5n97e/start_menu_search_is_it_possible_to_remove/
  7. Regex searching in Start Menu possible? Or at least search by "comment" attributes?

Regex searching in Start Menu possible? Or at least search by "comment" attributes?: I could search photos by querying their tag name in the start menu but not by the values in their comment field (right click properties > details tab > description > comments; jpg files, png files have no comment attribute). it does show up in file explorer, just not through...
  8. Windows 10 - Start menu search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Start menu search: When I search for a folder by typing the name in the start menu, how can I then go to a subfolder without having to open the folder, e.g. I am trying to get to the following file documents/pictures/holidays/summer holiday 2018. I know I can just type on summer holidays...
  9. Custom Engine for Start Menu Search possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Custom Engine for Start Menu Search possible?: Has anybody figured out if it is finally possible to customize the "Universal Start Menu search" or replace the Bing Search by Google search or any other prefered online search engine? In Windows 8.1 that was sadly not possible and i assume it won't be possible to...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search: Hi, Search in Windows new start menu is annoying, each time web search using bing results are also shown, which is really unwanted. Using :: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search We can enable the following 3 options to disable...