Windows 10: Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?

Discus and support Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello there, I want to upgrade my HP laptop from Windows 10 Home OEM license to Pro using retail key but i always get the error windows is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jai KrishnaTavva, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?

Hello there,

I want to upgrade my HP laptop from Windows 10 Home OEM license to Pro using retail key but i always get the error windows is not activated even though it is a genuine product key from Microsoft. Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

Jai KrishnaTavva, Oct 8, 2020
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Oct 8, 2020
  3. trparky Win User
    Potential upgrade to AMD Ryzen

There are two types of Windows licenses...
    • Retail
    • OEM
    Retail licenses of Windows can be legally transferred between hardware because it's a retail license. Upgrade licenses if it was an upgrade from a retail license maintains the same license freedoms that the original license held, Windows 10 upgrade licenses are the only exception to that rule. OEM licenses however cannot be transferred from hardware to hardware. Upgrades from OEM licenses of course have the same restrictions that the original OEM license had.

However, right now Microsoft is still accepting old licenses of Windows as an upgrade to Windows 10. All you have to do is type in your old key and it will accept it. Why Microsoft is still allowing this I have no idea but my thoughts are is that Windows 10 adoption numbers are so damn low that they need all the help they can get. *Laugh :laugh:

trparky, Oct 8, 2020
  4. patkim Win User

Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?

Understanding difference between OEM & Retail Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade if any

Hi,

I am aware that you can upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by following certain steps and paying a fee to Microsoft to get a new Pro license.

However what I am not clear is about the type of license that Windows 10 Pro then comes with after an upgrade

When I upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, do I still retain the license as Windows 10 Pro OEM or does it now become a retail Pro license?

If it still remains as OEM License, is there a difference in the fee structure for upgrading OEM Home to Pro & Retail Home to Pro?

As I understand a retail license offers flexibility to move to another computer but OEM does not. OEM is tied to the first motherboard on which it's activated.

Thanks

patkim, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?

1. Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade? - Similar Threads - Home Pro OEM

2. Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro: Dell OEM license for Windows 8 pro was upgraded to 11 pro a few years ago, now It's on 11 Home. I upgraded to Win 11 Pro some years ago and it's been fine. How do I go back to 11 Pro without having to reinstall? I used ShowKeyPlus and it shows installed key as Win 10 RTM Core...
  3. Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro: Dell OEM license for Windows 8 pro was upgraded to 11 pro a few years ago, now It's on 11 Home. I upgraded to Win 11 Pro some years ago and it's been fine. How do I go back to 11 Pro without having to reinstall? I used ShowKeyPlus and it shows installed key as Win 10 RTM Core...
  4. Home to Pro upgrade on OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home to Pro upgrade on OEM: I have a pc with an OEM Windows 11 home license. If I purchase a Win 11 Pro upgrade, is the upgrade transferable in the event that I change PC and downgrade the original?...
  5. Home to Pro upgrade on OEM

Home to Pro upgrade on OEM: I have a pc with an OEM Windows 11 home license. If I purchase a Win 11 Pro upgrade, is the upgrade transferable in the event that I change PC and downgrade the original?...
  6. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro: Hello,I purchased a laptop with Windows 10 Home OEM license. I'd like to upgrade it to Pro and I have a few questions.1 If I purchase the retails license and apply on this Windows 10 Home in order to upgrade, will this newly upgraded Windows 10 Pro become OEM or it will be...
  7. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro: Hello,I purchased a laptop with Windows 10 Home OEM license. I'd like to upgrade it to Pro and I have a few questions.1 If I purchase the retails license and apply on this Windows 10 Home in order to upgrade, will this newly upgraded Windows 10 Pro become OEM or it will be...
  8. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro

9. Windows 10 Home OEM upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home OEM upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: Hi, I have a Lenovo laptop running Win 10 Home, I also have an older PC that was running Windows 10 Pro, this PC is now dead and will never be used again. I have tried to upgrade my laptop using the product key from the dead PC but get an error message that I don't have a...
  10. Will i get windows 10 Pro License if upgraded from OEM widows 10 home?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will i get windows 10 Pro License if upgraded from OEM widows 10 home?: I have bought windows 10 laptop which comes with windows 10 Home. Now if I upgrade it to windows 10 pro, will I get windows 10 Pro Key? [IMG] If so, can I use that key on other laptopafter removing from currently installed one...