Windows 10: Windows 10 Home unable to stop sharing User folder over HomeGroup.

Discus and support Windows 10 Home unable to stop sharing User folder over HomeGroup. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had set up a drive share over the HomeGroup so that I could access my Laptops drive on my Desktop PC, and I didn't have enough permissions to edit,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Templar3lf, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Home unable to stop sharing User folder over HomeGroup.

I had set up a drive share over the HomeGroup so that I could access my Laptops drive on my Desktop PC, and I didn't have enough permissions to edit, so I guessed it was a problem with giving other users "Full Permissions" to the Windows and Program Files folders, and so I shared my User folder alone and its contents over the HomeGroup.

This did not fix the permissions problem, even going so far as to remove viewing rights as well as the missing edit rights, and so I attempted to stop sharing the User folder, and revert the sharing setup to how it was before, but I cannot "stop sharing" the folder. Selection of "stop sharing" opens up a dialogue asking if I want to "Stop sharing" or "Change sharing permissions". If I then select "Stop sharing" it opens up a new dialogue claiming it will "Stop sharing" and that the process "may take a few minutes". At some point after this, the dialogue asks if I want to change settings for folders that appear to be inside the /Users/Charlie/AppData, I select change settings, and it resumes. After this, the dialogue closes without any further information. The User folder seems to still think it is sharing, but I cannot access it over the network.

I have attempted to remove the share link by running cmd, and entering "net share Users /delete", as well as deleting all shares in the list, but the Users folder still seems to be set to sharing, even though I cannot access it, and it no longer shows up on the "net share" list. This would not be a problem if it were not for the fact that this breaks all permissions when trying to share the C:// drive again, as any files inside Users/Charlie are not accessible like the rest of the drive is, no matter what permissions I give it. I have attempted to run dskchk and no result.

Is this a Windows error, or am I just doing something stupid? Thanks in advance for any answers.

:)

Templar3lf, Feb 15, 2016
  2. Sir Toe Win User

Windows sharing all files to mac computer?

Hoi goiz, I recently made a homegroup on my computer (it's running Windows 10 Pro) and I shared 2 specific folders to the homegroup, a folder in images and a folder in videos (family pics & videos are shared) I then connected a mac to my computer's homegroup.
    But instead of the 2 specific folders popping up, my entire user folder (and the public user folder) appeared!

This basically means that my family can go through everything, and I don't want some important folder suddenly getting disorganised or deleted. So how can I change it so only specific folders are shown on the mac side? Since on the windows side, changing/stopping
    sharing options for the folders isn't really helping.

!Update!

So I went into advanced file sharing for the Users folder and I stopped sharing it. Now I re-shared the few picture and video folders to my homegroup. But from the Mac side, clicking my computer and then clicking users gives a; "can't go into the folder"
    popup. Also, the shared folders don't appear, only that inaccessible users folder. :/

Sir Toe, Feb 15, 2016
  3. Tom5280 Win User
    Windows 10 Homegroup "You do not have permission to access <Network Share Name>"

I've been struggling to get simple network folder sharing working between my 4 home computers. All machines are running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with the latest creators update. All machines are joined successfully to the same homegroup and the homegroup
    troubleshooter is not finding any errors.

I am trying to share a folder with "specific users" in the homegroup. Folder sharing works fine is "Homegroup", but once I select specific users in the homegroup it fails with a "You do not have permission to access <Network Share Name>" error. The user
    accounts are all windows live accounts and I'm correctly logged into the computer that is trying to access the network share. Security permission appear to be appropriately set for the user to have read/write access after I share the file.

I have tried removing all the computers from the homegroup, deleting all files in the C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking folder, and then restarting all the machines and creating a new homegroup and then having all the
    machines join the homegroup. I've tried creating the homegroup from different PCs, and I've tried leaving two machines off while joining the other two and sharing. No change in the behavior described. I really need to limit the folder sharing to a limited
    set of users. Any ideas on additional steps to fix or troubleshoot this?

Tom5280, Feb 15, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 Home unable to stop sharing User folder over HomeGroup.

1. Windows 10 Home unable to stop sharing User folder over HomeGroup. - Similar Threads - Home unable stop

2. Unable to stop sharing folder onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to stop sharing folder onedrive: i was meant to share a single file but acidently shared the whole "desktop" folder instead.. when i try to manage access, an error happens.. how do i fix this? thanks [ATTACH]...
  3. Consequences of stopping sharing Users folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Consequences of stopping sharing Users folder: Users folder is shared by default. I just removed it, right clicked went to sharing and ticked stop sharing this folder. Google isn’t any help as to why I wouldn’t want to do this. Windows is a real PITA when it comes to sharing and I’ve found it easier just to keep things...
  4. Unable to access shared folders on Windows Home Server

Unable to access shared folders on Windows Home Server: I've just plugged in an old home server that hasn't been used in years, and am able to access the files while remoting into the server, but I cannot access them from my desktop computer itself over the network. When I attempt to open the shared folders on my desktop computer...
  5. Asymmetrical Sharing of Folders over Windows 10 Home Network

Asymmetrical Sharing of Folders over Windows 10 Home Network: I have three computers purchased in 2015, 2016 and 2018 all running the very latest Windows 10. For a few years all three of them were able to share files and folders using the Share feature in W10. The 2016 computer a laptop suffered a severe operating system crash and I...
  6. Windows 10 Home unable to access shared folder

Windows 10 Home unable to access shared folder: Hi, I'm using Win10 Home and this machine is not able to access a shared folder in Win7. Previously it was working fine, and today it decided it did not want to work. It might work tomorrow, who knows. Been googling around and come across this page:...
  7. Cannot share folders over home network

Cannot share folders over home network: I used to have a HomeGroup, I understand that this is now gone. I can now only see media files over the network. I have changed all the folder secure sharing settings to allow viewing folders over the home network. I still don't see them. Just the media files. What's the...
  8. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  9. shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared

shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared: not sure what category this falls under. i went to add my printer to another computer. i pressed Share Homegroup. now i see this unknown user has access to all my docs.*cry how can i delete this?*Confused 73502
  10. Shared Windows 10 network folders not visible in homegroup

Shared Windows 10 network folders not visible in homegroup: The title basically says it all ... I have a Windows 10 pc in a private network with 4 external hdds attached. On these drives, I have shared a number of folders. In the Explorer, these folders are shown as type Share in the Network section. In the Homegroup section of the...