Windows 10: Windows 10 (Home) Very Slow Internet Speeds (WiFi + Ethernet)

Discus and support Windows 10 (Home) Very Slow Internet Speeds (WiFi + Ethernet) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a custom gaming PC I built about 3 years ago. Nothing extraordinary. I have done some slight upgrades over the years (950 to 1060 6GB, PCI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by McWillies, Oct 2, 2018.

1. McWillies Win User

Windows 10 (Home) Very Slow Internet Speeds (WiFi + Ethernet)

I have a custom gaming PC I built about 3 years ago. Nothing extraordinary. I have done some slight upgrades over the years (950 to 1060 6GB, PCI wireless card). The motherboard is not wireless capable, hence the PCI wireless card. I'd also like to state that I am far from illiterate when it comes to technology, so don't be afraid to use "big words," or correct terminology. If I don't know what something is, I can look it up.

Let's get down to business. I have an issue that seems to not have a solution. The issue is that I have very slow WiFi and ethernet on my PC. I've done countless hours of intense research on this issue to no avail. It seems the issue didn't start until ~1.5 years ago (yeah, I've been living off of a laptop since then because I could never find the problem), when I moved houses. Where I live now, satellite internet is the only "conventional" option; however, I found a solution to that by using a Nighthawk M1 mobile hotspot (on LTE, I chose this hotspot in particular because of the 4x carrier aggregation) as a modem connected to a wireless router. (I'll answer questions about that if anyone is interested). The speeds are great: 20mbps down/4mbps up when the towers are congested, 55mbps down/10mbps up at 1:00am when I should be asleep (I can play 8k video with ease on YouTube, just to give you a real-world example). In my home there are two laptops, multiple handheld devices, and my desktop PC. Every device has the aforementioned great speeds, except for the desktop. The desktop yields a ping of ~40 ms (which is average on all of my devices because it's technically an LTE connection distributed to my devices as WiFi), but the download speed is ~2mbps or less and the upload is nonexistent at ~300kbps or less. (ALL SPEEDTESTS ARE RUN USING SPEEDTEST.NET, but I've also tried other speedtest sites, such as speedof.me, with no improvement). I've tried every "easy trick" I can find and I've also tried more advanced methods, with absolutely zero luck. I'm sure it's not an issue with the wireless card because I receive the same slow speeds when connected via ethernet. Before you say it: *Yes, I have checked my running programs and processes to ensure nothing is hogging the bandwidth.* Actually, when I first start up the PC everything starts downloading updates. All of the tasks (trying to download updates) combined never go above ~3mbps (proof that the issue isn't isolated to a specific program).

I believe the driver I'm using for the wireless card is the Windows 10 default, but I may be mistaken. Here is a link to the available drivers for my specific motherboard: ASRock > H97M Pro4
    If you can decipher which one is applicable to a wireless card I'd appreciate it.

I do understand that saying I have tried many things is a very broad statement, so even if you think I've already tried something, please still respond. Any and all help is appreciated greatly.

:)

McWillies, Oct 2, 2018

2. internet speed slows down

Hi Barry,

Having an outdated Ethernet card driver, faulty Ethernet cable, and outdated modem firmware are a few factors that affect the internet speed. If you have a spare Ethernet cable, then I suggest replacing the one you're using to determine if its the cable
    that's causing your internet speed to slow down.

You may also update the driver of your Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet card. If the issue is triggered by having an outdated driver, then you can have Windows to search automatically for updated driver software to help fix and address the problem. Kindly check
    out Update drivers in Windows 10 and follow the steps provided in updating the drivers.

If the above steps won't help, then I recommend that you get in touch with the WOW support team to check the modem. Since they're your Internet Service Provider, then they are the appropriate support to look into the modem and perform necessary updates or
    troubleshooting on the device.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post back.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 2, 2018
  3. Slow Internet Over Wifi. Only Internet Speed Weirdly Slowed.

Hi, Microsoft.

Wireless Environment Details

Previously, I am using Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 in my Dell laptop with overall environment details as below,

• Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wifi adapter, using 5Ghz band at 433Mbps.
    • Using Asus RT-AC68U, performing 600Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5GHz).
    • Subscribing fiber optic 300Mbps ISP speed.
    Problem Statements

I am facing internet speed throttled over Wifi but not wired LAN connection. The speed throttled below than 100Mbps during downloading. The Wifi weirdly throttled the internet speed only but not local network file transfer over wireless.

Test Methods and Problem Analysis.

• The laptop and router range within 2 meters away.
    • No multiple devices connected to the router during the test.
    • DNS set in router is Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8
    • My laptop using default Windows 10 Firewall and set network to "Private".
    • No VPN were used nor installed.
    • All hardwares installed with latest drivers from Dell website.
    • All networking speed monitored using Resource Monitor.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over Wifi. Speed slowed down less than 100Mbps.
    • I have a desktop PC too, using Windows 10 and LAN cable connection to router.
    • Transferring files from desktop PC to Asus router and finally wireless to my laptop.
      FULL SPEED around 400Mbps.
    • This is so odd. Wireless file transfer over local network can be full speed but internet over wireless slowed. Obviously not Wifi adapter problem.
    • I decided to further test the router hardware.
    • Download files from internet into desktop PC over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet over smartphone and tablet (both Android and iOS) wireless.
      FULL SPEED at 300Mbps. Obviously not router problem too.
    • So I narrowed down the problem only can be Windows 10. Can you help me identify the problems?

Kent Ong Kean Seng, Oct 2, 2018
  4. Windows 10 (Home) Very Slow Internet Speeds (WiFi + Ethernet)

Windows 10 Home - WIFI Slow internet speed - limited

Hi,

I Have installed on my brand new laptop windows 10 Home "already updated", I have a 10 Mbps internet connection but only reaches 1.2 Mbps, I ran a speed test on my phone that uses the same WiFi and is reaching 9 Mbps. Something is limiting the bandwidth
    almost in 90% of its capacity, WiFi driver is Updated and I'm sitting next to the modem to get a better signal strength and I get full signal bars but the speed still the same, I already tried some basic troubleshooting suggested by Microsoft but still does
    not work, I don't think something is consuming the bandwidth because my phone gets a good speed. I don't know what else to do.

Modified title from: Windows 10 Home - WIFI Slow internet speed - limited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSHNKANTAM, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 (Home) Very Slow Internet Speeds (WiFi + Ethernet)

1. Windows 10 (Home) Very Slow Internet Speeds (WiFi + Ethernet) - Similar Threads - Home Very Slow

2. Ethernet slow speeds very unstable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet slow speeds very unstable: Not sure why but my ethernet speeds on task manager is showing very unstable and in kbps but if i use speed test i get 250 MBPS and upload 30MBPS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-slow-speeds-very-unstable/9e33d231-b624-45e7-a892-0acd42f13ed9
  3. Ethernet slow speeds very unstable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet slow speeds very unstable: Not sure why but my ethernet speeds on task manager is showing very unstable and in kbps but if i use speed test i get 250 MBPS and upload 30MBPS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-slow-speeds-very-unstable/9e33d231-b624-45e7-a892-0acd42f13ed9
  4. Ethernet slow speeds very unstable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Very slow wifi speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow wifi speed: All of a sudden this week, my pcs wifi speeds have gone incredibly low and i can no longer run any online game without massive lag spikes. Although, when i do a wifi speed test online, this seems fine and on any other device in my house the wifi is perfect.Ive searched so...
  6. Very slow wifi speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very slow wifi speed: All of a sudden this week, my pcs wifi speeds have gone incredibly low and i can no longer run any online game without massive lag spikes. Although, when i do a wifi speed test online, this seems fine and on any other device in my house the wifi is perfect.Ive searched so...
  7. Very slow wifi speed

8. Very slow upload speeds with ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow upload speeds with ethernet: My download speeds are through the roof at over 800mb/s but my upload speed is sitting at a pathetic 0.3-1mb/sI've tried disabling LSO, updating drivers, deleting the device and switching cords and ports. My brothers PC is working perfectly fine with the same downlopad speed...
  9. Ethernet internet speed is slow

Ethernet internet speed is slow: My computer is getting slower internet speeds on the same network as other computers. When running a speed test on my laptop on speedtest.net it shows download speeds of 400+ Mbps on the ethernet cable. Now taking that same ethernet cable and plugging it into my desktop I am...
  10. WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast

WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast: I have 3 Windows 10 machines, including one laptop/tablet. I can get Internet download speeds of 63 mbps and upload speeds of 11 mbps on my laptop using a 802.11N connection with a DLink DIR-842 router. The router's specs are AC1200 Speeds (up to 300Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wundows 10 wifi network speeds very slow

2. wifi is very slow when downing another program

3. ethernet and wifi very slow