Windows 10: Windows 10 Home won't activate after motherboard and cpu change, please help!

Discus and support Windows 10 Home won't activate after motherboard and cpu change, please help! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm a highschool student who scraped enough money to buy a second hand Dell Optiplex 790 with a 2nd Gen i5 cpu and a bonus RX 480 included along with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by daphfin, May 13, 2020.

1. daphfin Win User

Windows 10 Home won't activate after motherboard and cpu change, please help!

I'm a highschool student who scraped enough money to buy a second hand Dell Optiplex 790 with a 2nd Gen i5 cpu and a bonus RX 480 included along with an installed retail copy of Windows 10 Home for $200 from a local online marketplace to serve as a workstation/gaming pc. Please note that I was not given a product key and just found out myself through tinkering around with Windows that the Optiplex is installed with a retail copy, and unfortunately I can't contact the dude who sold me the pc anymore.

Some time passed down the line and I found out that my cpu was overheating to the point of my peripherals mouse, keyboard, and monitor would just not work and just wasn't up to task for the workload I put through it so I bought a new motherboard an ASUS Q8&M-E with an i5-4750 cpu as an upgrade. Nothing else was changed aside the motherboard and cpu.

Before changing out the parts i've researched and prepped myself and the hardware so the transition would go as smooth as possible.

My Microsoft account was linked with the digital license and I was about to re-activate Windows, in yellow text it showed me "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. Error code: 0xC004F211" and I did the whole troubleshoot proccess and clicked the "I changed my hardware recently" link. It brought me to the window where it asks me to check mark the device I was using and then clicked 'Activate' only for it to quickly say "Unable to activate Windows. We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." To which I did and would give me the same message.

I really don't have enough money to spare for a new license and as tempting the cheap $12 keys are i'd much prefer it to not to risk my $12 on some shady ebay code.

Help would be very appreciated and thank you for your time.

:)

daphfin, May 13, 2020

2. Activating Windows 10 after motherboard change, tried all methods

Hi

I changed my motherboard and graphics card this afternoon, now windows won;t activate. Tried troubleshooter etc. No luck and I'm signed into my Microsoft account.

Using the latest version of Windows 10

Please help.

KevinPheiffer, May 13, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10: Fitting a new motherboard and CPU

Hi,

Yes, you may change your Motherboard and CPU without a problem. To resolve your issue in case you encounter a problem, we suggest that you follow the steps in this

article
    which you can expand Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
    and you can use an Activation troubleshooter if you get activation errors. The given link is previously provided by
    'Mike P.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 13, 2020
  4. PinChung Win User

Unable to activate Windows after motherboard, CPU and graphic card change

My old motherboard died after a BIOS update. I had to get a new motherboard and CPU.

At the same time, I got a new graphic card.

after setting everything up, Windows 10 asked me to activate windows.

I tried the Windows activate troubleshoot after hardware change, and saw a list of the computers I have. I select the one that was running the current Windows, but it gave me an error message saying

"We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

Please help.

Pin

PinChung, May 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Home won't activate after motherboard and cpu change, please help! - Similar Threads - Home won't activate

2. Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall: So i literally just changed my hardware, reinstalled windows and won't activate.Last time i activated windows was with the Free windows 7 - 10 free upgrade, 6 years ago - So im left at a loss.How do i get Microsoft to allow my windows to get activated again?...
  3. Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall: So i literally just changed my hardware, reinstalled windows and won't activate.Last time i activated windows was with the Free windows 7 - 10 free upgrade, 6 years ago - So im left at a loss.How do i get Microsoft to allow my windows to get activated again?...
  4. Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't activate windows after a motherboard + CPU change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows after a motherboard + CPU change: Hey, I recently upgraded my PC's motherboard and CPU, now windows is telling me to activate windows i bought a key somewhere between late 2017 to early 2018, whenever i try to troubleshoot in the settings, all i can select is my OLD motherboard device windows seems to see it...
  6. Can't activate after changing motherboard and CPU

Can't activate after changing motherboard and CPU: I bought new parts for my PC, including a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU. After putting everything in my new case, with the same 2 SSDs and graphics card from my previous prebuilt PC, Windows 10 won't activate, saying the product key is invalid and that it's linked to the...
  7. Windows not activated after changing motherboard and cpu

Windows not activated after changing motherboard and cpu: I recently changed the hardware on my pc and window 10 is telling me i need to activate windows, even though i am logged into my microsoft account with windows 10 tied to it. when i go through the trouble shooter and i click the "changed hardware" prompt it asks me to select...
  8. Windows Won't Activate After MotherBoard, CPU, and RAM change.

Windows Won't Activate After MotherBoard, CPU, and RAM change.: First off, I had to reinstall windows after it (almost) booted to a blue screen after the hardware change, figured that would happen so no big surprise. Got to the troubleshoot screen and reinstalled or whatever its called from there. Works great, except windows doesn't want...
  9. Windows won't reactivate after changing motherboard and cpu

Windows won't reactivate after changing motherboard and cpu: I just upgraded my PC, and windows deactivated itself. My windows key is linked to my microsoft account, and the original product key is probably long gone (it was a Windows 7 key from 5 years ago). I tried using the activation troubleshoot in settings. When I click "I...
  10. Windows 10 won't activate after a changed motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't activate after a changed motherboard: I reinstalled windows today after buying a new motherboard and processor. Windows won't activate when I select the computer I'm using...