Windows 10: Windows 10 Host Hyper-V RemoteFX VGPU Gaming-

Discus and support Windows 10 Host Hyper-V RemoteFX VGPU Gaming- in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello, Sorry if this post already exist somewhere else, I checked through all of the category's pages and didn't find anything related. Reasoning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by GeorgeChe, Nov 19, 2016.

1. GeorgeChe Win User

Windows 10 Host Hyper-V RemoteFX VGPU Gaming-

Hello,

Sorry if this post already exist somewhere else, I checked through all of the category's pages and didn't find anything related.

Reasoning behind this whole endeavor:
    I want to separate Programming, gaming and DBA activities from my main OS.
    Basically I'm OCD and don't want to "dirty" my windows installation with too much software.

I read about Docker and application containerization/virtualization but have no clue how to do it, thus i chose this method.

So, here is the setup,

I have Windows 10 Pro installed on my computer (host, directly installed on the drive, no other OS's installed or dual booted).
    I have enabled hyper-V on it.
    I created a virtual machine with Windows 10 in Hyper-V.

Gaming VM Specs
    - 100% of Processor used (4 cores)
    - 8GB of RAM
    - 80GB vhdx (can be expanded if required)
    - Standard Network adapter (not legacy or fiber)
    - All Integration Services available (all checkboxes checked)
    - RemoteFX VGPU adapter installed - linked to my GTX 970 card - 1024MB of Video Memory selected
    - RDP enabled

I installed Sims 4 on this VM and started testing. (I know, I know, living with girlfriend)
    The game lags.
    Specifically frame skipping (30 FPS or lower) at medium settings; on main OS 60+ FPS no lag on Ultra.

No other game(s) and/or application(s) running on the VM.

Now my questions.

Is it possible to fix this?
    Is it possible to do some sort of direct pass from the VM to the GPU (I know that the entire thing, including the main OS, sits on the Hyper-V layer between the hardware and the software)
    Are there any GPO fixes to force something similar to this?
    Are there any registry hacks that may enable some sort of passthrough?
    Is it possible to force some sort of driver to substitute the RemoteFX driver in the VM?

I have read about Terminal Services, but have no clue what or how or where.
    Also read about the new features of Server 2016 but it's still in beta.

Anyone have a clue to this, or even if it's possible?

:)

GeorgeChe, Nov 19, 2016

2. Hyper-V - add GPU, wide resolution

RemoteFX may not be compatible with Windows 7.

Once RemoteFX is added to a Windows 10 VM I'm able to select the resolution with just the default Hyper-V drivers.

IJustHelping, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Cybot Win User
    Hyper-V Virtual Machines Fail to Start and Initialize after Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1

perhaps you could run those steps with me? my windows 10 does not appear to be corrupted (everything except Hyper-V works). I changed the setting of the VM I was testing with to start at launch as described in your post. I will try the part you never got
    to try.

One thing I noticed, is the locations where the VM's are kept is normally unaccessible by anything gut Hyper-V. is this the same as your system?

also I found a TechNet forum thread for server 2012 that said dx11 hardware was necessary for remoteFX to function. windows 10 pro has no options for changing whether the VM uses RemoteFX or not. even though my laptop was supposed to be a Windows 7 laptop,
    the video card installed by Toshiba was a DX10 card and only supports limited DX10 features. Hyper-V works for me on Windows 8.1.2, but not Windows 10 Pro. If anybody know how to change the RemoteFX options in Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro, as in turning off RemoteFX,
    please speak up.

Cybot, Nov 19, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Why not simply install a second instance of windows 10 in a virtual hard drive rather than a virtual machine?

This just creates a single .vhd file on your current installation which emulates a second hard drive and al files for the second instance are included in the .vhd file. When you boot to the vhd version, it uses al the native host drivers rather than emulated drivers via a vm.

cereberus, Nov 21, 2016
  5. GeorgeChe Win User
    That sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't that create a second entry in the bootloader?
    I did some research into that, it seems that I can do pretty much what I want with the bootloader entries, that is really awesome.
    Thanks a lot.

Now, sorry if I seem ungrateful, I just want to see if there are any other options out there.
    How can I get a VM as close to bare metal performances as possible.

GeorgeChe, Nov 21, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    A second boot entry is no big deal. Easy to add or remove.

To create vhd do this

create usb flash drive of windows 10 installer using media creation tool.

boot from usb drive

At install now, press shift+f10 to jump to command prompt

Type following (can change names, size in GB, drive etc).

c:

cd\

md vhd

diskpart

create vdisk file=c:\vhd\win10.vhd maximum=50000 type=fixed

select vdisk file=c:\vhd\win10.vhd

attach vdisk

exit

exit

and now install OS in new vhd.

This creates new boot entry for you.

To remove, just delete vhd and remove boot entry from boot tab in msconfig.

I doubt there is any vm that could outperform using vhd with native pc. Even the best (hyper-v) would be slower.

cereberus, Nov 22, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    An alternative, maybe the easiest method is simply mount (double click) a Hyper-V virtual machine's VHD or VHDX file on host, open elevated command prompt and enter command bcdboot X:\Windows (replace X with drive letter given to Windows partition when VHD is mounted).

This adds the VHD or VHDX to Windows boot menu as native boot VHD.

More: Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD - Windows 10 Forums

8. GeorgeChe Win User

Hi,

Thanks for the help.
    The solutions provided are really good.
    Just booted one of my VM's directly and it works flawlessly.
    Thank MS that Windows 10 is smart enough to detect the hardware changes and reconfigure accordingly.

GeorgeChe, Nov 22, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Great tutorial. I always had issue with vhds not being able to be upgraded with new builds in native boot mode. I knew you could upgrade in a vm. It never occurred to me to simply load vm in hyper-v, upgrade vhd and then reload in native mode. I guess this shows how superior Windows 10 is in handling native and hyper-v drivers when switching between vm mode or native mode.

I shall try this with my insider version which I have always run in hyper-v as I did not want to mess up partitions by installing as a normal dual boot option.

This allows me to use vhd natively but use hyper-v to upgrade. Don't know why I never thought of it!

I was using viboot and macrium and using method you showed me to sysprep and generalise hyper-v image to be able to install image in a native vhd but I obviously over complicated the solution!!

cereberus, Nov 23, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Both methods (viBoot and Hyper-V) have their own advantages. Macrium viBoot is practical when you have an image made from a physical installation and you want to service it (upgrade, add / remove programs and files etc.) outside said physical installation, then update it fast simply by restoring the in viBoot updated image.

Hyper-V is great if you want to run Windows on VHD on physical hardware; just create the vm in Hyper-V, shut it down after installation, mount on host and run one simple command to add it to boot menu.

Important thing to remember, as also told in tutorial, is that you have to remove all checkpoints from a vm in Hyper-V before you can mount it! Mounting a vm with existing checkpoints will corrupt the VHD.

11. cereberus Win User
    Another scotch lined up if you are ever in Aberdeen !

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Host Hyper-V RemoteFX VGPU Gaming- - Similar Threads - Host Hyper RemoteFX

2. Update to disable and remove the RemoteFX vGPU component in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Update to disable and remove the RemoteFX vGPU component in Windows: Update to disable and remove the RemoteFX vGPU component in Windows Applies to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1607 all editions, Windows 10 version 1703 all editions, Windows 10 version 1709 all editions, Windows...
  3. Hyper-V host performance hit?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V host performance hit?: Hi, I'm wondering how much overhead/performance loss I'll have if I enable Hyper-V on my Surface Go. I have seen around on the internet that a lot of users especially in gaming have been seeing performance hits up to 30% performance loss. or up to 20-40 fps loss in gaming....
  4. Choose OS: Guest OS on Hyper-V for supporting RemoteFX

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Choose OS: Guest OS on Hyper-V for supporting RemoteFX: Hi I have Windows server 2016 as Host OS & need to choice a guest OS for supporting remoteFX using GPU on VM. its important that guest OS use low source & be fast performance +remoteFX & using GPU +fast Performance .......which one? guide me plz/...
  5. RDP to Win7 Enterprise VM (uses RemoteFX) on Windows 10 Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    RDP to Win7 Enterprise VM (uses RemoteFX) on Windows 10 Hyper-V: Hey guys just a quick question Just wanna ask how i would connect to my Win7 VM that uses RemoteFX on my Win10 physical machine. I can't seem to figure it out cause i know nothing about it, but i really wanted to use a VM just to separate parts of my work. I have added...
  6. HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST

HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST: Hi there I can't install HYPER-V properly on a W10 HOST -- gets message about something in BIOS not enabled. Installs fine on W8.1 . On W10 the boxes are greyed out. Cheers jimbo 2284
  7. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...
  8. stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host

stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host: Hi, I hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I am installing win 10 pro on my machine, which goes fine, then when i try to install hyper-v (add program and features) it seems to go well, reboots, tells me installing features, reboots again, then just...
  9. Hyper V not Showing Host Machine

Hyper V not Showing Host Machine: Hyper V Manager Not showing Host Machine so i can make virtual machine screen shoot is below [img] 51539
  10. Windows 10 and Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Hyper-V: I tried to install the preview as a virtual machine and everything went fine until after a reboot following the download and installation of the updates. Both 8.1 & 10 locked up with a strange crackling noise through the speakers every few seconds. One good thing about a...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remotefx windows 10 host

2. remotefx on windows 10 host hyper V

3. remotefx gaming

4. game compatible driver for hyperv win 10,
  5. hyperv on windows 10 pro host enable remotefx,
  6. gaming remotefx,
  7. windows 10 hyper V gaming,
  8. windows 10 remotefx vgpu has been removed from hyper-v