Windows 10: Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address

Discus and support Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to use my computer as a hot spot for my Xbox and cell phones. Read this entirely because I swear if someone links me to a Microsoft Support... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GaranokKonarag, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address

I'm trying to use my computer as a hot spot for my Xbox and cell phones. Read this entirely because I swear if someone links me to a Microsoft Support article about hot spots I will want to throw my p.c through the wall.

First, I tried to enable the hotspot using the mobile hotspot button in the bottom right network options of the taskbar (where you'd go to select a wifi connection). I input the SSID name as asked and a passkey. This has NEVER worked yet. The SSID is broadcasted then I input the password on my Pixel 2 and nothing it says "Obtaining IP Address".

My solution? I googled how to enable a hotspot on Windows 10. I disabled the one I just tried to create by clicking the button to turn it off. Then I followed the CMD commands to create a hotspot with netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=[mynamehere] key=[mypassphrasehere].

Then you have to go to your Adapter Settings click on properties for the Ethernet, and share it with the newly created network.

THIS WORKED! I was able to connect my Xbox and phones without issues.

THEN, I restarted my p.c because I updated the driver for my Pixel 2 so that I may transfer files from it. Low and behold of course you need to start the hostednetwork again. This is where all of the problems begin. I immediately though, hey I can just use the hotspot button this time b/c I know how to share my internet. I hit the button, and changed the sharing settings to the hotspot network just as I had with the hosted network using the CMD. IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!

I shut it off, turned back on the netsh wlan start hostednetwork changed the sharing back over to that network. IT NO LONGER WORKS AND I AM BEYOND FRUSTRATED! Everytime, I wanted to connect my Xbox One it says DHCP settings cannot be resolved or some bs like that. I applied the following solutions, yes all of them:

1) In my hosted network's adapter settings it said DHCP Enabled? No.

The solution said to have the hosted network automatically select the IP address. Right click properties, find IPv4, right click it and select automatic.

This did change the DHCP Enabled? to Yes.

THIS DID NOT ALLOW MY XBOX TO CONNECT HOWEVER.

2) Someone said that I have to restart the Internet Connection Sharing Service in the services.msc. I've done that. Didn't work. (Even restarted computer as usual after every change.)

3) Update the drivers for the Microsoft Virtual Host Adapter, #2, and #4. Didn't work.

4) Delete the registry key HostedNetwork something or another. Did that.

NOTHING HAS WORKED! I cannot get any hotspot to work anymore. What is going on?

Here is what my settings say:

In the CMD it says I have 1 client (showing my phones mac address) and it says Authenticated, but it won't obtain an IP.

In the adapter settings I have Ethernet shared with Local Area Connection 15.

When you right click on status for LAC15 it says:

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
    IPv6 Connectivity: Internet

Media State: Enabled

Packets Sent: 510 (and it goes up periodically) Received: 0

If you click on Details there's no IPv4 Default Gateway or DNS server or Wins server (I'm not sure if those need filled in?)

:)

GaranokKonarag, Jul 29, 2018

2. Windows 10 hotspot not getting IP address to my phone

Hi,

It's odd for the Windows 10 hotspot not to get the IP address of your mobile device. You may need to modify the setting of the Ethernet connection in the Network and Sharing Center to fix the issue. That said, we suggest that you follow the steps on the
    post that was provided by Adityakpranav on January 11, 2017 through this
    link.

Let us know if this information helps to fix the issue.

Carlos Tin, Jul 29, 2018
  3. Ankit5680 Win User
    Mobile Hotspot after Creators Update - Connecting device stuck at 'Obtaining IP address'

Hi,

A new option showed up after updating to creator's update called 'Mobile Hotspot'. I set up new hotspot network name and password and tried to connect to the hotspot on my mobile phone. After entering the password and clicking connect on my mobile, the status
    is stuck at 'Obtaining IP address'.

Are there any additional settings?

I use Avast Premier Anti-Virus program.

Ankit5680, Jul 29, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address

Mobile Hotspot shows obtaining ip address..... What to do?

After starting the hotspot my device connects and just shows obtaining ip address. Also the hotspot button in notification area doesn't work

need solutions to this....

Krishna Chaitanya G, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address

1. Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address - Similar Threads - Hotspot Stuck obtaining

2. Failed to obtain IP address from DHCP Server

in Windows 10 News
    Failed to obtain IP address from DHCP Server: [ATTACH]DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It provides IP addresses and other related configuration information such as subnet mask and default gateway to the client machine. DHCP is important, especially when it comes to large networks because it...
  3. How to change Fixed IP Address to "Obtain and IP address " On my PC using windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change Fixed IP Address to "Obtain and IP address " On my PC using windows 10: I recently bought a TP-LINK TL-R600VPN WIRED ROUTER for my home desktop which runs Windows 10 64 bit . The router's configuration instructions say " 1. Connect a PC to a LAN port of the router with an RJ45 cable properly. If your computer is configured with a fixed IP,...
  4. 169.254 IP ADDRESS STUCK!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    169.254 IP ADDRESS STUCK!: NO INTERNET CONNECTION HELP Hello all. I’m after a bit of help from techies regarding my laptop Internet Connection. The WiFi symbol is coming up with an angry Orange Triangle and I can’t figure out the problem. It appears, after a bit of digging, that the Laptop is stuck...
  5. Windows 10 hotspot stuck at obtaining IP address

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hotspot stuck at obtaining IP address: I have windows 10 build 1909 and my wifi card is the intel wireless-ac 9260 and have the latest drivers installed and have my PC connected with a LAN cable. When I setup the hotspot connection and try to connect to it from my mobile phone, the phone gets stuck at obtaining IP...
  6. Mobile hotspot does not provide IP address

Mobile hotspot does not provide IP address: Hi, I am a huge user of the mobile hotspot functionality, but I recently installed updates KB4530684 and KB4533002 and since I cannot connect any device to the hotspot but it starts, I can see it from my phone. I already tried to : - check/uncheck all boxes of Sharing tab...
  7. Solved Android phone stuck on "obtaining ip address" while using mobile hotspot in windows 10

Solved Android phone stuck on "obtaining ip address" while using mobile hotspot in windows 10: I wanted to use mobile hopspot utility of Windows 10 on my laptop to share LAN connected internet with my android mobile phone, but wifi connection with laptop stucked at "obtaining ip address". My laptop had internet connection, whereas I could not get internet on my mobile....
  8. Mobile hotspot, unable to obtain IP address

Mobile hotspot, unable to obtain IP address: I've been using the mobile hotspot on windows 10 to provide internet for my phone for a year already and it was working flawlessly until June 2019 (somewhere around that time) which my mobile devices couldn't connect to it anymore. I've tried using 2 mobile phones in which...
  9. Mobile hotspot on Dell Inspiron 15 will no longer obtain IP address

Mobile hotspot on Dell Inspiron 15 will no longer obtain IP address: The mobile hotspot on my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop WAS working fine, but now it will not obtain an IP address when I try to connect my phone, smart TV, etc., to it. My devices can see the network, and they try to connect, but I end up getting an error message that it 'failed to...
  10. Windows 10 as WiFi Hotspot not assigning IP addresses

Windows 10 as WiFi Hotspot not assigning IP addresses: Is anyone using Windows 10 to provide as a WiFi Hotspot as what seems to happen when clients connect is it is not successful after trying the Obtaining IP Address, clients include Android mobile devices and set top boxes. 29149

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hot spot shows obtaining ip

2. hotspot stuck on obtaining ip

3. windows 10 hotspot stuck obtaining ip

4. obtaining ip address hotspot,
  5. cant connect to computerhotspot when obtainingip,
  6. windows 10 hotspot obtaining ip address,
  7. in laptop after on hotspot in mobile showing it but obtaining ip address,
  8. cant connect to windows 10 hotspot stuck at obtaining ip address win10,
  9. mobile cant figure ip address from pc hotspot,
  10. netsh hotspot dhcp,
  11. win 10 hosted network no ip dhcp,