Windows 10: Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?

Discus and support Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 7 PC. Let's name it server. A share on server can be accessed as user A. I also have a Windows 10 PC, named client. I am logged on to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BerndBausch, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?

I have a Windows 7 PC. Let's name it server. A share on server can be accessed as user A.

I also have a Windows 10 PC, named client. I am logged on to clientas user B and want to access user A's share on server.

On Windows 7 and earlier clients, I can provide user A's credentials when mapping a share. I have not found this feature on Windows 10. In fact, I have not seen anything about "mapping" on Windows 10.

I could probably change the permissions on server, but I only want user A to have access.

What options do I have?

:)

BerndBausch, Jan 12, 2020
  2. Steevo Win User

Windows File share bug (7 and vista)

Security Options? Or are you creating your share by and as named administrator?

New files will only inherit permissions from originating user, and if you are the named administrator the files will be protected by default.

"Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts

This security setting determines how network logons using local accounts are authenticated. If this setting is set to Classic, network logons that use local account credentials authenticate by using those credentials. The Classic model allows fine control over access to resources. By using the Classic model, you can grant different types of access to different users for the same resource.
    If this setting is set to Guest only, network logons that use local accounts are automatically mapped to the Guest account. By using the Guest model, you can have all users treated equally. All users authenticate as Guest, and they all receive the same level of access to a given resource, which can be either Read-only or Modify.

Default on domain computers: Classic.
    Default on stand-alone computers: Guest only

Important

With the Guest only model, any user who can access your computer over the network (including anonymous Internet users) can access your shared resources. You must use the Windows Firewall or other similar device to protect your computer from unauthorized access. Similarly, with the Classic model, local accounts must be password protected; otherwise, those user accounts can be used by anyone to access shared system resources.

Note:

This setting does not affect interactive logons that are performed remotely by using such services as Telnet or Terminal Services
    This policy will have no impact on computers running Windows 2000.
    When the computer is not joined to a domain, this setting also modifies the Sharing and Security tabs in the Windows Explorer to correspond to the sharing and security model that is being used."

Steevo, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Setting "Everyone" in File Sharing to Work with Specific Users

I tried post #9 instructions and could not make them work. I am quoting them below for the convenience of anyone following the thread:
    Below is what I did to test the share access. The No. 1 settings granted everyone access. The No. 2 settings granted no user access, including the user on the "white list.":

Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user? [​IMG]

toppinglift, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?

User can't copy files from network share. Permission error.

The error says: You require permission from DOMAIN\user to make changes to this file.

The user is trying to copy this file to his local machine. The share has full control by a group named developers. The user in question is a member of this group.

I created a test account, added it to the developers group and I was able to access the same file.

Not sure what else to try, and what might be causing this.

Hybrid_theory, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?

1. Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user? - Similar Threads - access file share

2. How to connect to a shared folder with a local user ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to connect to a shared folder with a local user ?: Hy everyone,I just reinstalled my computer with Windows 10 professional 22H2 and "chose" because it is just barely impossible to choose something else to use a microsoft account and i decided to connect it with my Office365 entreprise account.Problem : I need to configure in...
  3. How to connect to a shared folder with a local user ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to connect to a shared folder with a local user ?: Hy everyone,I just reinstalled my computer with Windows 10 professional 22H2 and "chose" because it is just barely impossible to choose something else to use a microsoft account and i decided to connect it with my Office365 entreprise account.Problem : I need to configure in...
  4. How to connect to a shared folder with a local user ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My generic user icon on a shared computer is different than other users' - what is the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My generic user icon on a shared computer is different than other users' - what is the...: All users on a shared computer I am using are having the same standard generic account icons, except for me. My icon looks like a card with a person symbol on it, and two antenna-like lines coming out of the card. Screenshots look like this: Imgur: The magic of the...
  6. My generic user icon on a shared computer is different than other users' - what is the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My generic user icon on a shared computer is different than other users' - what is the...: All users on a shared computer I am using are having the same standard generic account icons, except for me. My icon looks like a card with a person symbol on it, and two antenna-like lines coming out of the card. Screenshots look like this: Imgur: The magic of the...
  7. My generic user icon on a shared computer is different than other users' - what is the...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account: I cannot figure out why the user name in Windows 10 file explorer under drive c:\Users is different than the user account name displayed when logging into one of my user account. For example, in file explorer, the administrative account under c:\users is "Kenneth" . When I...
  9. File sharing between users at different locations

File sharing between users at different locations: I would like to share files across different computers with different users. For example, the admin user on Desktop would like to have full control over Laptop and vice versa. I have network discovery and file sharing turned on, the proper services are started, and the...
  10. Network File Sharing - Different Users

Network File Sharing - Different Users: I'm trying to understand the latest W10 ver. 1803 network file sharing, like I've been trying to do with all other Windows versions since Windows began. I think I've boiled it down to a simple question: There are two networked computers named "BLUE" and "YELLOW". Blue has...