Windows 10: Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click?

Discus and support Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a HP Pavilion Power laptop 15-cb0xx and its been going on for a while, but kinda getting a bit worse, that my touchpad can act very erratic at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tempy111, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Tempy111 Win User

Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click?

I have a HP Pavilion Power laptop 15-cb0xx and its been going on for a while, but kinda getting a bit worse, that my touchpad can act very erratic at times with the mouse cursor just jumping about when i'm trying to do some work. But the weird thing is, it only seams to happen when i'm in the one place..

It's a bit weird and it's very annoying.. can't find anything that might be creating such a problem..
    anyway..

I have a generic external touchpad which works fine.. BUT, the main problem is that it IS generic. it has a range of gestures but the problem is tap-to-click is a windows default. Since it's generic and therefore has no special drivers or software, i cannot turn off tap-to-click as the default HID mouse driver is just so basic. I've been looking to see if there is something in the registey or looking for any software that might replace the driver with a better one but i can't fine one. Does anyone have any idea or if there is anything that can be done? or any routes worth checking? It doesn't seem like something that a custom driver couldn't deal with..

:)

Tempy111, Dec 19, 2018
  2. Thanatica Win User

Touchpad: Tap twice to drag

Here's how it works standardly:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger to stop dragging

Here's what I like it to do:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger
    5. Reposition finger and continue dragging by flicking the touchpad some more
    6. (repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as desired)
    7. Release finger and perform one addditional tap to stop dragging

That's what it used to be like in the Windows 7 era with most touchpads. Some people found it annoying and disabled it, but I welcomed it.

I know dragging continues when your finger reaches the touchpad edges, but that I find greatly irritating because it looses all sense of precision. This mechanism is stupendously irritating when trying to pixel-precise drag a trackbar, or when doing some
    painting in photoshop on the go. Or just anything that requires precision.

So I'd like to disable "drag continues at touchpad edge" and enable "require additional tap to stop dragging".

So how can I do that?

If not possible, then please consider this a feature request.

Thanatica, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Brad_525 Win User
    Disable Tapping, Windows 10 Synaptics Touchpad

I am unable to disable Touchpad Tapping on my new MSI GP63 Windows 10 laptop.

I've found a previous post about this question with the following instructions:

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Click on Personalization, then Themes.
    3. Select Mouse pointer settings.
    4. Then, click on the last tab called Device settings (might be different from other computers) and again on Settings.
    5. A new window will pop-up with the Pointer options. Just uncheck Tapping.

These instructions DO NOT work for me. There is no "Mouse Pointer Settings"in Themes, there is a "Mouse Cursor" link, and this brings up "Mouse Properties", however there is no "Device Settings" tab, and the last tab, "Hardware" has no Settings button or
    anything anywhere about Tapping, nor do any other tabs. There IS a "Properties" button with a "Devices" field listing the Synaptics Touchpad, but if I click on "Change Settings", there is still nothing about tapping anywhere, and the "Change Settings" button
    on the "Resources" tab is greyed-out.

Settings does have "Devices > Touchpad", however the only option on there is for Sensitivity, and the "Additional Settings" link below points back to "Mouse Properties".

Drivers have been updated twice and I've searched everywhere I can think of to find this option. (There are also no options about gestures if that's related at all.)

Brad_525, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click?

How to disable the tapping function on the synaptics touchpad Windows 10?

I'm sorry but it doesn't answer the question. The problem here is that the Synaptics Clickpad driver/softer version 19.0.12.95 specifically for Windows 10 will not save the profile or configuration. If I uncheck the "tap to click" option on the settings--it
    works without any problems. BUT if I restart the my Windows 10 Home computer (HP Spectre X360) computer--the "tap to click" check mark comes back--and I have to check it again to disable it. This is very annoying! There's no way to disable it using the regedit
    option--from the link you reference above.

I am having the exact same problem with the Synaptics Touchpad 2.0 on my HP Pavilion Laptop. Every time Windows 10 restarts, the Touchpad settings revert back to the "tapping" button being checked/activated. Quite frustrating as this never happened with Windows
    7 or 8.1 prior on this same computer. Please fix this issue Microsoft.

ThomasFrisch, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click?

1. Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click? - Similar Threads - Disable Generic touchpad

2. How to disable tapping on touchpad in windows 10 v 2004

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable tapping on touchpad in windows 10 v 2004: I can't seem to find the touchpad settings to disable tap clicks or allow for two finger scrolling. On my other computers it's just under settings>devices>touchpad but those options aren't there on this new one. Has a synaptics SMBus touchpad...
  3. How to disable tap clicking?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable tap clicking?: I cant stand tap clicking, how can I disable it? In other versions of windows I was able to do it pretty easily in the settings, but now I cant find the option. Anyone know how to do it? submitted by /u/MrYoshi411 [link] [comments]...
  4. How to disable double tap on touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable double tap on touchpad: After this new Windows 10 update I cannot find the settings to turn off touchpad double tap feature. Its annoying that Microsoft has changed the layout of windows when there was no need to. Before the update is was very easy to do. Please can someone show me how to turn...
  5. How to disable tap to click

How to disable tap to click: I have tried pretty much everything people have said online but nothing works! either the tabs aren't there or the solutions just don't work. I am at my wit's end! Computer is an Alienware Area 51m...
  6. Disable tap to click on touchpad.

Disable tap to click on touchpad.: I recently installed an update to Windows 10. I originally had my touchpad set to only use the buttons to click, because I GODDAMN HATE WHEN THE TOUCHPAD ACCIDENTALLY CLICKS ON SOMETHING WHEN I BRUSH MY HAND ACROSS IT!!! I can't find anywhere to turn it off, and I swear to...
  7. Disable Tapping, Windows 10 Touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Tapping, Windows 10 Touchpad: I am unable to disable Touchpad Tapping on my new MSI GP63 Windows 10 laptop. I've found a previous post about this question with the following instructions: Go to Settings. Click on Personalization, then Themes. Select Mouse pointer settings. Then, click on the last tab...
  8. Disabling tap to click in windows 10

Disabling tap to click in windows 10: I have an MSI computer with a Synaptics touch pad. I have not been able to disable the tap to click "feature" on the touch pad MSI says it is all controlled by Windows 10 and I have to wait to see if they fix it. This sounds wrong to me cause I have a Dell laptop running the...
  9. Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable the tapping feature (aka: Tap...
  10. How To Disable Tap-to-Click on Windows 10

How To Disable Tap-to-Click on Windows 10: I recently updated/upgraded my Windows 8 laptop to Windows 10 operating system. I would like to know how to disable the tap-to-click touch-pad feature in Windows 10. It was easy to do on 8, but after searching through the settings on 10 I am unable to locate that setting....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mouse pointer settings tapping

2. turn off tap to click windows 10

3. turn off tapping windows 10

4. windows 10 disable tap to click,
  5. how to disable tap to click windows 10,
  6. turn off touchpad taps,
  7. turn off touchpad tap windows 10,
  8. turn off tapping touchpad windows 10,
  9. how to turn off tap to click on windows 10,
  10. disable taps windows 10,
  11. synaptics touchpad driver for windows 10,