Windows 10: Windows 10 - How to extend my Windows C drive to the external D drive without delete D data?

Discus and support Windows 10 - How to extend my Windows C drive to the external D drive without delete D data? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; see my screenshot [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ulrichattiogbe, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - How to extend my Windows C drive to the external D drive without delete D data?

see my screenshot

Windows 10 - How to extend my Windows C drive to the external D drive without delete D data? 0235b29f-2f7b-4e3c-a788-621f0408febf?upload=true.png

:)

ulrichattiogbe, Nov 11, 2020
  2. Keegman Win User

I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend

So I have 237gb of storage on my C drive and it is nearly full, my D drive has 931gb of storage and is completely empty. in an attempt to solve this problem I went online looking at different forums and articles and many recommended that I delete D drive
    so i can extend C drive, but it will not give me the option after deleting it.

Keegman, Nov 11, 2020
  3. Deleted Disk Drive D

Hi S -

This is Orlando, an Independent Advisor and an expert with windows 10. I understand you're deleted your D drive to expand your C drive but the option is grayed out.

Is the C partition and D partition are on the same drive or disk?

how are you trying to expand the C drive?

If the drive D is a separate drive then extending the C drive will not be possible as they don't share the same drive volume. You can take back the D drive again by allocating it on your computer. To do that;

1. Open the disk management by pressing the windows key + r and type diskmgmt.msc

2. Once open, you will notice an unallocated space below which is the deleted D drive, you can just right click on it and select New Simple Volume. Follow the instruction next to re-allocate the drive D on your computer.

3. Once drive is created, it will automatically assign a letter on the drive and you can check it on the file explorer.

However if the D drive is on the same drive as your C, you can use the process below to extend the volume of your C drive;

1. Open command prompt with administrator access

2. Type DiskPart and press enter

3. Type List Volume and press enter. It will list all the volume created on your drive including unallocated space

4. Locate what volume number your C drive is allocated.

5. Type Select Volume X >> where X is the number that corresponds with your C drive.

6. Type extend and press enter >> partition C will be extended with the unallocated space on your drive.

Limitations of Diskpart to extend C drive :

* Only when there is adjacent unallocated space on the right side of the to-be-extended partition, extend command is valid.

* Only NTFS partition is supported to extend. Namely, the FAT32 or exFAT partition cannot be enlarged.

* Unallocated space is not displayed in the command window, so you don't know whether there is and where it is.

* Operations cannot be undone, the incorrect operation could cause data loss.

The above method should extend your drive C if it meets all the requirements needed to extend the drive.

Hope this help, have a good day.

Thanks,

Independent Advisor

Orlando Q., Nov 11, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - How to extend my Windows C drive to the external D drive without delete D data?

No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - How to extend my Windows C drive to the external D drive without delete D data?

1. Windows 10 - How to extend my Windows C drive to the external D drive without delete D data? - Similar Threads - extend drive external

2. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  3. Windows is in my C and D drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is in my C and D drive.: After I tried to update my PC with Windows 10 setup, I saw at the end it said it wanted to remove ALL my files and settings on my pc because it was in an unsupported directory. So I checked my C and D drive and saw "Windows" and "Windows10Upgrade" in both drives. I checked...
  4. C drive and D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  5. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  6. I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend: So I have 237gb of storage on my C drive and it is nearly full, my D drive has 931gb of storage and is completely empty. in an attempt to solve this problem I went online looking at different forums and articles and many recommended that I delete D drive so i can extend C...
  7. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  8. Extend D drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extend D drive: I have very low storage on my laptop and for installation of a game I need 200 GBs, my D drive is of 177 GBs and I have 60GB extra free space in C which I want to allocate to D. How can I do that without data loss? submitted by /u/hajmola99 [link] [comments]...
  9. Data D Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data D Drive: My computer has relatively low storage space. My computer shows me that under "storage on other devices" an internal drive has 920 GB of storage. I am trying to move Steam apps to this drive but I have no way of doing this. I have no way to send the applications to the other...
  10. Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D

Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D: I have 1.22GB of 118GB available on the C Drive of my 2016 HP laptop, where everything gets stored by default. So pretty close to maxed out. But my D Drive has 854GB of 918GB available. How can I shift everything to the D Drive? Could making such change cause the laptop to...