Windows 10: Windows 10 how to install applications without placing shortcut in Public Desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 how to install applications without placing shortcut in Public Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I install an application (real application not an app) in Windows 10 with my administrator account, the shortcuts for this program to run will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by erikwork, Oct 26, 2019.

1. erikwork Win User

Windows 10 how to install applications without placing shortcut in Public Desktop

If I install an application (real application not an app) in Windows 10 with my administrator account, the shortcuts for this program to run will be placed in C:\users\Public\Public Desktop

Our users dont have elevated rights so they cant delete any shortcut on the desktop which are placed in Public Desktop.

How can I install an application so the user can remove the shortcut if he doesn't want it?

Is there a possibility that other users that login on the same computer do have the shortcut?

:)

erikwork, Oct 26, 2019

2. Desktop shortcuts

Shortcuts can "live" in two places:

• In your own profile folder (C:\Users\Luke\Desktop). They are visible to you only.
    • In the public profile folder (C:\Users\Public\Desktop). They are visible to all users.
    You should now know why the deleted shortcut disappeared from both desktops.

Deleting a shortcut does NOT delete the file or folder it refers to. I recommend you run some tests to confirm this.

Frederik Long, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

I've been having trouble ever since performing a factory reset of my computer with applications automatically wanting to use the Public Documents and Public Desktop folders. For example, after installing Adobe CC applications, the "Adobe" folder is added to 'C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ ' instead of the preferred 'C:\Users\Zack\Documents'. Also, Adobe will automatically add shortcuts to 'C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop' instead of the preferred 'C:\Users\Zack\Desktop. This issue is present when installing any application, not just Adobe CC products.

I have absolutely no use for the 'Public' folder, as I am the sole user of my PC, and don't plan on having multiple User Accounts. Is there a way to stop newly installed applications/programs from using the Public folder by default, and instead have programs use my User folder by default?

This issue started after performing a factory reset/clean reinstall of Windows 10.

DrummerZack, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Windows 10 how to install applications without placing shortcut in Public Desktop

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 how to install applications without placing shortcut in Public Desktop - Similar Threads - install applications without

2. How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?: When trying to delete some application shortcuts while running as a standard user, I receive a UAC prompt asking me for admin credentials to delete the linked program file rather than the shortcut .lnk file itself. e.g.How can I delete only the shortcut file?...
  3. How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?: When trying to delete some application shortcuts while running as a standard user, I receive a UAC prompt asking me for admin credentials to delete the linked program file rather than the shortcut .lnk file itself. e.g.How can I delete only the shortcut file?...
  4. Desktop shortcut for an application file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop shortcut for an application file: I am trying to create a desktop shortcut for "fastdl.app". I know that I can type that in as the URL in various browsers, but, I don't seem to be able to create a shortcut for it. When I type in "fastdl.app" without the quotes in the "Target" box, I get the error message:The...
  5. How to find a shortcut on the public desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find a shortcut on the public desktop: Hello! Going through a major upgrade of one of our systems and we need to make sure that all PCs with a specific shortcut/URL are up to date. Problem is that this was not documented well in the past and I'm not sure which PCs in our environment have this shortcut. This...
  6. How to find a shortcut on the public desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find a shortcut on the public desktop: Hello! Going through a major upgrade of one of our systems and we need to make sure that all PCs with a specific shortcut/URL are up to date. Problem is that this was not documented well in the past and I'm not sure which PCs in our environment have this shortcut. This...
  7. How to find a shortcut on the public desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?: Hello, I have opened up a simple web page that I would like to save a Shortcut (or other Link to) so I can get to it very easily directly from my Desktop. The little icon to the left of the address seems to be a "lock", and I can't drag it anywhere. See: CubicSDR - The...
  9. Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop: I've been having trouble ever since performing a factory reset of my computer with applications automatically wanting to use the Public Documents and Public Desktop folders. For example, after installing Adobe CC applications, the "Adobe" folder is added to...
  10. How do I place a SLEEP shortcut on Windows 10 desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I place a SLEEP shortcut on Windows 10 desktop: I am new to this forum and new to Windows 10. I am trying to place a shortcut on the desktop to put the computer to sleep. I tried following the instructions from a few sites that recommended placing a link into the desktop shortcut menu and the suggested shortcut Command...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to remove shortcut applications from my desktop without being an administrator