Windows 10: Windows 10 [ how to setup a proper pagefile and swapfile.sys ]

Discus and support Windows 10 [ how to setup a proper pagefile and swapfile.sys ] in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi people, I hope this thread is placed by me at the right corner. Feel free, admins, to move it when it is not. Problem: If I setup the advanced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Geeviz, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Geeviz Win User

Windows 10 [ how to setup a proper pagefile and swapfile.sys ]

Hi people,

I hope this thread is placed by me at the right corner. Feel free, admins, to move it when it is not.

Problem:

If I setup the advanced settings for virtual memory, only for use on my E: drive, (so C: on disabled) Windows do have the oddity to give me the following warning after rebooting windows:

"Windows created a temporary paging file"

Yes I know how I can fix that ... but:

My question:

Can someone tell me how I can setup a proper page and swapfile for my E: drive and disable the one on the C: drive without the annoying "Windows created a temporary paging file" ? I tried powershell scripts, CMD scripts, the original Virtual Memory advanced page in Windows and some valuechanges in the regkey below:

The reg key where all is stored
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    and values:
    ExistingPageFiles (reg multi sz)
    PagingFiles (reg multi sz)

Summarized:

I want a working E:\pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys and none on C: but Windows do not allow such hence the warning.. It sets each time that temporary on C:\.

Cheers,

:)

Geeviz, Jul 3, 2019
  2. Victek Win User

Is it time to ditch the swapfile

This may be because swapfile.sys does not exist in Windows 7. It was introduced (or reintroduced) in Windows 8.

Hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys the New Swapfile.sys file in Windows 8

Victek, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Windows 10 [ how to setup a proper pagefile and swapfile.sys ]

Swapfile

I have moved my swapfile and pagefile from drive c to drive d, with the the link etc and it shows everything is in the right

positions but the only thing is it still uses drive c for its paging not drive d. It shows the files on drive d ok and nothing on c except the link.

Can you please explain why.

Regards

Ronald

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RonaldWorley, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 [ how to setup a proper pagefile and swapfile.sys ]

1. Windows 10 [ how to setup a proper pagefile and swapfile.sys ] - Similar Threads - setup proper pagefile

2. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  3. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  4. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?: I have tried to use NTFS symbolic link destination drive has no letter assigned:mklink c:\swapfile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\swapfile.sysmklink c:\pagefile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\pagefile.syseverything works fine except...
  6. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?: I have tried to use NTFS symbolic link destination drive has no letter assigned:mklink c:\swapfile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\swapfile.sysmklink c:\pagefile.sys \\?\Volume{XXXXXXXX-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\pagefile.syseverything works fine except...
  7. Is there any way to move swapfile and pagefile from the system drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. move windows 10 swapfile

in Windows 10 Customization
    move windows 10 swapfile: I have a very small SSD install disk but a much larger internal disk. Windows allowed me to move libraries to the larger disk. How do I move my virtual disk or swapfile...
  9. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: pagefile .sys Degrag: How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-pagefile-sys-degrag/1435a24e-30c1-43a8-9587-dbbac2c1216e"
  10. Is it time to ditch the swapfile

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it time to ditch the swapfile: The swap file was created in the early days of Windows when hardware was expensive so rather than getting a new hard drive, you had the swap file to help you out. With Windows 10 due next month, I wonder if its time to ditch the swap file and and disable it completely. 6697