Windows 10: Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up

Discus and support Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently preformed a fresh install on my windows 10 laptop, and after finishing up setup and going through a few post install things de-bloat,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FlimsyKestrel78, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up

I recently preformed a fresh install on my windows 10 laptop, and after finishing up setup and going through a few post install things de-bloat, Chrome, other apps I tried to cleanup my hard drive, and I found 2 window.old folders in it. At first, I did try using disk cleanup to delete the files, but they wouldn't show up on disk cleanup. Then, I tried deleting the files through file explorer. I successfully deleted the first "windows.old 000" folder with ease, and then proceeded to delete the second "windows.old" folder. However, mid way, my display stated flickering and other weird things starting happening on the laptop display. I proceeded to shut down my laptop, and when I turned it back on, the only thing that showed up, was dark gray screen no hp logo, no windows loading, no cursor. I tried to turn off, and turn on the laptop again and again. Eventually I tried some 'trouble shooting'. I did the smashing F-12 and also, F-9 key after startup, and nothing happened. I also tried the turn off two times, to enter the startup screen. Now I have given up, and you guy and girls are my last hope!!!

Some things to note: When i plugged in a USB, it did start blinking.

When I tap the caps-lock key, the white light come on, and also turns off, same with the mute key.

My laptop battery is broken, and so far, I never had any problem without the battery

I don't use the AMD Radeon R5 grahpics, though I have them installed and updated to the latest version, but I keep it disabled due to the stuttering problem it causes

Pressing buttons randomly also causes the laptop to make a sound

Connecting the laptop to my TV through HDMI does cause the TV to detect the PC, and switch to it, but nothing shows up

Specs: at least what I can remember

Amd R8 7410 APU with Radeon R5 graphics

8 GB Ram

1 TB Tohisba hard drive

Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks for any Help!!!!

:)

FlimsyKestrel78, Apr 24, 2020

2. Combo Box drop down list is dark gray on Windows 10 as compared to Windows 7

Hi,

As compared to Windows 7, In Windows 10 combo box drop down list and buttons are dark gray in color.

Can anyone please suggest how we can make to look same as Windows 7.

Regards,

Nikhil

Nikhil Lohade, Apr 24, 2020
  3. DarkEstra Win User
    Black Screen After Windows 10 Boot Logo On LAPTOP

hello

i've done a full clean install of a W10 Pro

and installed all of the driver's Via windows update

tbh im using this laptop as a spare for me when im going out ( very rare usage )

so nowadays

when im trying to boot up the laptop , sometimes it boots completly without problems

but mostly stuck's on a black screen after facing the win logo screen

but when i try to boot using safe mode , everything is okay and it boot properly

i've also disabled the dedicated gpu ( which is AMD Radeon HD 7670M )

it's HP Pavilion g6-2131se

specs
    http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03384386

replaced hdd with Crucial BX200 240GB
    and ram with Ballistix Sport SODIMM 8GB Kit 4GBx2 DDR3 1866mhz

*Confused Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up :confused:*Confused Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up :confused:

DarkEstra, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up

Gray screen on HP Probook, Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display on the PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?
    2. When you say, “the monitor shows nothing but a gray screen with vertical lines”, is it on the PC’s screen or external monitor?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the issue by going in to the BIOS screen and see if the issue persists. You can refer the section
    Opening the BIOS Setup Utility from the article
    HP Notebook PCs - BIOS Setup Information and Menu Options
    to boot into BIOS.

If you are seeing the same screen on the BIOS menu then it can be a potential hardware failure, and you may need to get in touch with the manufacturer for further assistance.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up

1. Windows 10 HP laptop stuck on dark gray screen on boot up - Similar Threads - laptop stuck dark

2. HP laptop is stuck on black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laptop is stuck on black screen: I reset my laptop back to factory and it took a while to delete everything but when it was done it was just stuck on the blank screen so I came home from work and tried turning it back on and it's still blank screen and when I move the mouse, you can see the pointer for a...
  3. HP laptop is stuck on black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laptop is stuck on black screen: I reset my laptop back to factory and it took a while to delete everything but when it was done it was just stuck on the blank screen so I came home from work and tried turning it back on and it's still blank screen and when I move the mouse, you can see the pointer for a...
  4. Laptop stuck on boot screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stuck on boot screen: Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem with my laptop. Last week my SSD died, so I bought a new one. I first connected it to my PC to install windows 11, tested everything and then plugged the SSD into my laptop. The problem is it now won't boot, can't even enter BIOS. When I...
  5. Laptop stuck on boot screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop stuck on boot screen: Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem with my laptop. Last week my SSD died, so I bought a new one. I first connected it to my PC to install windows 11, tested everything and then plugged the SSD into my laptop. The problem is it now won't boot, can't even enter BIOS. When I...
  6. Hp laptop stuck on a boot loop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hp laptop stuck on a boot loop: Hello there my Hp laptop is looping around for like 3 months and i couldn't fix it. when i first turn the laptop it says preparing automatic repair and after 10 seconds it says please wait while we install a system update then it turns off and restarts the whole process again...
  7. Secure boot option grayed out in BIOS in HP laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Secure boot option grayed out in BIOS in HP laptop?: My laptop model is HP Laptop 15q-bu09TU. I am using Win 10 64 bit. In my BIOS the secure boot option is grayed out, hence I can't change it. I need to enable secure boot option. I tried to disable Legacy Boot menu, but no help. I also set Administrator password but he secure...
  8. Lenovo Laptop stuck on gray screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lenovo Laptop stuck on gray screen: When I turn on my lenovo laptop the lenovo sign pops up then theres loading dots. After that the screen turns black then Lenovo logo pops up. "Preparing Automatic Repair" shows up and the loading dots then it gets stuck on a gray screen.Can somebody help me get past this?...
  9. HP laptop not booting up?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP laptop not booting up?: Hello everybody I was just trying to turn on my laptop. Unfortunately, it won't boot. The fan runs like crazy and is totally loud, but the screen stays black. When I press the off button again nothing happens. Does anyone have any idea what you can do? The laptop is still...
  10. Gray screen on HP Probook, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gray screen on HP Probook, Windows 10: I've had issues with almost every driver on my Hp Probook since a Windows 10 fresh start. I have resolved most issues but every update seems to bring them back or cause new ones. The latest after shutdown the next startup my screen is gray. I've checked with another monitor...