Windows 10: Windows 10 Hyper-V: VM start fails - "Assertion failure"

Discus and support Windows 10 Hyper-V: VM start fails - "Assertion failure" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Using Hyper-V, I created a Windows-XP VM machine which I have used regularily without problem until earlier this year. Now, when I try to start my VM,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NeilMacpherson2, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Hyper-V: VM start fails - "Assertion failure"

Using Hyper-V, I created a Windows-XP VM machine which I have used regularily without problem until earlier this year.

Now, when I try to start my VM, I get:

[Window Title]
    Hyper-V Manager

[Main Instruction]
    An error occurred while attempting to start the selected virtual machine(s).

[Content]
    'NeilsXP VM' failed to start.

Synthetic Ethernet Port (Instance ID F0CADBEB-F85D-420F-8A02-91CF5563C25B): Failed to Power on with Error 'An assertion failure has occurred.'.

[Expanded Information]
    'NeilsXP VM' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 2C05B581-D924-4241-B58B-A853F9072076)

'NeilsXP VM' Synthetic Ethernet Port (Instance ID F0CADBEB-F85D-420F-8A02-91CF5563C25B): Failed to Power on with Error 'An assertion failure has occurred.' (0x8007029C). (Virtual machine ID 2C05B581-D924-4241-B58B-A853F9072076)

[^] Hide details [Close]

I have no idea what an "Assertion Error" might be and have tried restoring Windows to an early April version without improvement.

The event log shows a "System" error that may (only may) be related:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
    and APPID {4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}

but like most MS events does not volunteer any solution.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I find it annoying that an environment that works well can suddenly fail for no apparent reason. As such, I am blaming a windows upgrade, but without any specific evidence.

:)

NeilMacpherson2, Jul 10, 2019

2. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

I've been running docker on my computer for weeks, but yesterday my Hyper-V installation broke and docker fails to start. My computer was shut-off the previous night unexpectedly, so that might have been the cause. After digging in further Hyper-V manager
    cant load the VM switch manager. The failed drivers seem to point to this isn't related to Docker at all as I've also completely uninstalled docker and am still getting errors. I can open Hyper-V Manager, but clicking on Virtual Switch Manager errors with
    "An error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches. The generic operation on computer 'XXX' failed: generic failure." I cant create VMs because VMSwitch is failing to start.

Event logs show the following

Warning (source Kernel-PnP): The driver \Driver\VMSP failed to load for the device ROOT\VMS_VSMP\0000.
    Error (source Hyper-V-VmSwitch): Failed to initialize VMSwitch driver due to error {Operation Failed}

Removing and re-adding Hyper-V features (Turn Windows features on and off) did not do anything

Tried the command and it did not resolve the issue: netcfg -d

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise 1809

KeithFloresca, Jul 10, 2019
  3. VBJP Win User
    Hyper-v fails to import VM

My Hyper-V storage drive broke down, have backups for that drive, so I have files for VMs. Replaced drive copied files from backup but Hyper-v manager doesn't see any VMs. Trying to import VMs from those files gets me error Unspecified error (0x8004005).
    Both Restore and Register Import options fail Copy succeeds but it says that it will create new ID is that bad? If windows license is tied to that VM will it require reactivation?
    Any ideas why import fails, maybe because it was disk failure Hyper-v still somehow remembers VMs that was on failed drive and dont let me import same IDs? Get-VM doesn't show any VMs also Hyper-v Manager shows up empty.

Windows 10 Hyper-V:  VM start fails - "Assertion failure" [​IMG]

4. Igor Lish Win User

Windows 10 Hyper-V: VM start fails - "Assertion failure"

Hyper-V PowerShell module fails to create new vm

I have a problem with Hyper-V PowerShell module, it fails to create a New-VM on my machine.

It worked fine until I had to reinstall Hyper-V feature in Windows 10.

Since then cannot create VM with powershell cmdlets, creating a VM in GUI works

I receive the following error

New-VM : Hyper-V encountered an error trying to access an object on computer ...... because the object was not

found. The object might have been deleted, or you might not have permission to perform the task. Verify that the

Virtual Machine Management service on the computer is running. If the service is running, try to perform the task again

by using Run as Administrator.

I am the Administrator on local PC, and I checked Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service, and it is in a running state.

Tried to rebuild MOF file

MOFCOMP %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsVirtualization.V2.mof

also tried to uninstall Hyper-V feature and reinstall it with powershell, and still no success.

Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All

Any other ideas?

I have Windows 10 Pro, version 1709

Regards,

Igor

Igor Lish, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Hyper-V: VM start fails - "Assertion failure"

1. Windows 10 Hyper-V: VM start fails - "Assertion failure" - Similar Threads - Hyper start fails

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Failed to start Hyper-V VM on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to start Hyper-V VM on windows 11: Hi, I have migrated from Windows 10 to 11. I also upgraded VM config version to 11.But one of my VM fails to start with error message :Failed to start worker process: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. 0x800700B7...
  4. Failed to start Hyper-V VM on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed to start Hyper-V VM on windows 11: Hi, I have migrated from Windows 10 to 11. I also upgraded VM config version to 11.But one of my VM fails to start with error message :Failed to start worker process: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. 0x800700B7...
  5. Hyper-v fails to import VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-v fails to import VM: My Hyper-V storage drive broke down, have backups for that drive, so I have files for VMs. Replaced drive copied files from backup but Hyper-v manager doesn't see any VMs. Trying to import VMs from those files gets me error Unspecified error (0x8004005). Both Restore and...
  6. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  7. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  8. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  9. Hyper-V problem with starting a VM (Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit .1607)

Hyper-V problem with starting a VM (Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit .1607): Hello, i've been experiencing problems with Hyper-V since last weeks thursday (09-03-2017, DD-MM-YYYY) trying to run it on Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit (up to date) with Hyper-V enabled. For some reason Hyper-V doesn't want to start any VM from my Windows 10 Enterprise...
  10. Hyper-V Windows 10 Batch file to start/stop VM on command

Hyper-V Windows 10 Batch file to start/stop VM on command: I am running Hyper-V on Windows 10. I am using the PC for media playback / gaming in big screen and rarely see the desktop. I have an service running and APP on my phone, so i can start batch files and programs without the need for a KB/M. I have just setup a VM, but i...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. memu failed to register hyper v driver

2. an assertion failure has occurred windows 10 shadow

3. what to do when in laptop this shows An assertion failure has occured?

4. assertion failure windows docker,
  5. hyper-v switch port create failed assertion,
  6. windows xp failed to start hyper v manager