Windows 10: Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back

Discus and support Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi All, First problem I am having is all of a sudden it started asking me for a password on startup. I don't have a password to start with. Don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RichardRadke, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back

Hi All,

First problem I am having is all of a sudden it started asking me for a password on startup. I don't have a password to start with. Don't know what to do.

Second. I changed boot drive to DVD to install windows 10. When tried to change it back I get a message the operating system cannot be found. The problem is I have an SSD and it's not listed in the bios boot drive menu. I have tried hard drive and SATAO drive.

Third. When I tried earlier to install windows 10 it told me I can not install in an SSD even though the computer came with 10.

Thanks,

Rich

:)

RichardRadke, Jul 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Jul 12, 2019
  3. gygabite Win User
    Changing boot hdd

I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?

gygabite, Jul 12, 2019
  4. Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back

Instructions to change board?

Boot off of the windows CD, repair your XP partition (hopefully you won't have to reinstall windows), install drivers, and you're good to go. You'll see dual channel mode in the BIOS splash screen results from POST. It'll be pretty obvious *Stick Out Tongue Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back :p. Here's a list of general tweaks for the 939Dual-SATA2.
    Step one- Set time, date
    Step two- In CPU settings, disable cool n quiet, set memory clock to DDR400, play with memory timings (CAS-TRAS-TRP-TRCD), which are listed in the bios in the order CAS, TRCD, TRAS, and TRP. EDIT- new BIOS's mess around with this order, can't be too sure on it, but yeah at least you know what the RAM timings stand for *Big Grin Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back :D.
    Leave MA timing at 2T unless you think your system can handle 1T
    Step three- in Chipset settings, enable onboard LAN, disable onboard Audio, disable AGP fast write, set primary graphics adapter, and set CPU-NB and NB-SB link speed to 1000mhz.
    Step four- in IDE, disable controllers you aren't using. On all drives detected, enable SMART if you can and set PIO/DMA as high as they will go.
    Step five- Enable legacy USB support
    Step six- Set password if you're worried about anyone screwing around with your BIOS settings
    Step seven- Configure your boot sequence. I reccomend hard drive first, optical drive second, and floppy drive third.
    Step eight- Save changes, boot into XP, and enjoy your computer.

zekrahminator, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back

1. Windows 10, i changed boot drive and now it will not change back - Similar Threads - changed boot drive

2. I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.: Recently I changed the maximum amount of ram setting in msconfig. What it was originally was an un-ticked check mark with a blank box below it. What I changed it to was a ticked box and enter the number for 8gb.However, now when I boot it get the BSOD that says...
  3. I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.: Recently I changed the maximum amount of ram setting in msconfig. What it was originally was an un-ticked check mark with a blank box below it. What I changed it to was a ticked box and enter the number for 8gb.However, now when I boot it get the BSOD that says...
  4. I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.: Hi Everybody, I need help,My Dell R6 was taking nearly 8-10 minutes to boot so I turned off everything in startup via task manager and rebooted. No change.So went to msconfig and turned it all off with the aim of turning on each one in turn to see where the lag was coming...
  5. I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.: Hi Everybody, I need help,My Dell R6 was taking nearly 8-10 minutes to boot so I turned off everything in startup via task manager and rebooted. No change.So went to msconfig and turned it all off with the aim of turning on each one in turn to see where the lag was coming...
  6. I changed msconfig and now I can’t get back in to change it back.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Boot Drive: Hello everyone.So, I'm trying to change my local drive to a portion of my other SSD that has more storage. Long story short, I got a prebuilt and changed all parts except for local drive with 100 gb in it, 1 gb left to spare because I don't know how to. I finally decided to...
  8. Changing Windows 10 Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Windows 10 Boot Drive: I recently installed a new SSD in my laptop and I used Acronis True Image WD Edition to create a "clone" of my hard drive. However, the RecoveryImage is now taking up half of the 1TB SSD. The RecoveryImage on the original installed SSD is 16GB. Is there a way to change the...
  9. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Boot Drive: Hey everyone. I'm looking to change my boot drive but haven't been able to get a clear idea on how it will work. Currently in my PC I have a SATA SSD, which is my boot drive, and a HDD which I just use for large games and work stuff. I am thinking of getting an M.2 drive to...
  10. change boot drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    change boot drive: How to transfer my boot drive to new SSD drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-boot-drive/99098282-2bfa-4c7b-a5a5-804d4e547f62