Windows 10: Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar always reset to default eventually.

Discus and support Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar always reset to default eventually. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; MS knows what this issue is. No description necessary. There is a locked post from two years ago with useless suggestions and promises to look into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rlaycock, Jul 29, 2019.

1. rlaycock Win User

Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar always reset to default eventually.

MS knows what this issue is. No description necessary. There is a locked post from two years ago with useless suggestions and promises to look into it. No resolution ever shows up.

So is this site just to waste our time or has Microsoft actually learned anything about this two year old bug?

RCL

:)

rlaycock, Jul 29, 2019

2. Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar keep resetting back to default selections after random period of time

Running Windows 10 Pro 1507 14393.693

When I select which icons I want to appear on the taskbar from 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar', I deselect 'Always show all icons in the notification area' then make my selections. These selections will remain in effect for hours or days but
    eventually my icon selections get reset back to off and just the default icons selections remain.

This has happened repeatedly and each time I reset my selections and they get overridden again and again. If 'Always Show all icons...' is not selected, why are my manual selections being turned off by resetting the entry in this list to OFF.

How do I prevent this from happening and why is this happening now, this isn't the way this feature worked in the past and this new behavior make no logical sense. If the system is going to decide what gets displayed then don't allow manual setting of preferences,
    if you allow preferences to be set then don't arbitrarily overwrite user selections.

Is this a bug or poor User Interface behavior in Windows 10? This same configuration and usage does not reset selections in Windows 8 or 7 now or in the past as I have used expected behavior for years.

This is happening on a Surface Pro 3 which doesn't have a lot of screen width compared to larger displays so I am guessing this happens when the system runs out of space along the taskbar with many apps open and decides to make the icon area smaller by resetting
    the display selections without prompting the user for permission and without any regard for the users need to see the selected icons for status rather than the tiny about of space freed up by turning off their preferences.

You can select 'Show all Icons' but then you can't turn of any that don't show anything useful so it's all or nothing...

JavaBearCA, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar keep resetting back to default selections after random period of time

Hi,

In order for us to identify what causes your taskbar settings to reset to default when you restart it, we would like to ask the following questions:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Did you make any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What is the build and version of your Windows 10?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Jul 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar always reset to default eventually.

Windows 10: "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" Question

Good Evening:

When accessing "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" via
    Settings>Personalization>Taskbar>Select which icons appear on the taskbar
    link
    , I noticed that there are icons listed for software that has been
    uninstalled from my computer. Is there a way to remove (or clean up) those icons, as they serve no purpose, as the software no longer resides on my computer.

I have Windows 10 ver. 1803 installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

John M. L., Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar always reset to default eventually.

1. Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar always reset to default eventually. - Similar Threads - Icons selected appear

2. Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing: Started up my laptop Windows icons and taskbar icons are not appearing and not its responding. Start menu won't open either.I already tried the Shift+ctrl+esc solution nothing happens. Please please help...
  3. Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing: Started up my laptop Windows icons and taskbar icons are not appearing and not its responding. Start menu won't open either.I already tried the Shift+ctrl+esc solution nothing happens. Please please help...
  4. Select which icon appear on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Select which icon appear on the Taskbar: I have already uninstalled an app. But option 'on/off' for that application is not removed from setting 'Select which icon appear on the Taskbar'. That should be removed after uninstallation. But still showing. Please inform me how to remove that option from Setting. All apps...
  5. Icons permanently selected in the taskbar on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons permanently selected in the taskbar on Windows 10: I have an annoying problem that is rather old on my PC and I decided to search for a fix it just now. Sometimes while I use my PC, the icons in the taskbar begin to keep permanently selected. If I run the mouse pointer through the taskbar and then return it to the program...
  6. Select which icons appear on the taskbar blank Icon's

in Windows 10 Support
    Select which icons appear on the taskbar blank Icon's: Hello. I have one question, sorry for my english... is not to good *Sad. I have windows 10 and recently y clean my taskbar icons with the .reg posted in this site. My question is: Is normal that when i don't have or use a program in the taskbar the icon show in blank...
  7. Old entries still appear on "SELECT WHICH ICONS APPEAR ON THE TASKBAR"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Old entries still appear on "SELECT WHICH ICONS APPEAR ON THE TASKBAR": Hi folks, First time posting here. Hopefully one of you registry whiz-kids can help me out. Basically, I know it's a little thing, but it's certainly bothered me enough to set up an account here at TenForums. I'm something of a neatness freak, y'know. So, if you go...
  8. Problem with "Select Which Icons Appear On Taskbar"

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with "Select Which Icons Appear On Taskbar": This question has been asked before, "I have a question, under "Start Menu -> Settings -> Notifications & actions -> Select icons which appear on the taskbar", how does one do maintenance on the list so it only shows items that are currently installed as it seems uninstalled...
  9. Shortcut to "select which icons appear on the taskbar"

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to "select which icons appear on the taskbar": My challenge is that I'm running a program that refuses to retain it's taskbar setting to always show. So, everytime I reboot, I have to go to "System\Notifications & actions\Select which icons appear on the taskbar" and find the program (it's Choicemail) and toggle on the...
  10. Appearing/disappearing taskbar and non0functioning default icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Appearing/disappearing taskbar and non0functioning default icons?: Windows 10 Home factory installed on a new HP Envy. On boot up, there are times when the taskbar doesn't become populated and the default icons on the right and left don't function. Then there are times when the taskbar icons are populating, but the default icons don't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. select which icon appear on taskbar - why do i have to do it every day