Windows 10: Windows 10 ignoring backup program request to prevent sleep

Discus and support Windows 10 ignoring backup program request to prevent sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I noticed that Windows 10 1903 is ignoring requests from backup applications to stay awake. Macrium support confirmed that Reflect issues API calls... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by paulvb1, Jan 27, 2020.

1. paulvb1 Win User

Windows 10 ignoring backup program request to prevent sleep

I noticed that Windows 10 1903 is ignoring requests from backup applications to stay awake. Macrium support confirmed that Reflect issues API calls to keep the system awake. I can see this using powercfg /requests

C:\Program Files x86\Wincouple

None.

s

SYSTEM:

[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\ReflectBin.exe

AWAYMODE:

[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\ReflectBin.exe

Awaymode is the setting Microsoft recommends for back up apps to use in the SetThreadExecutionState API and a more modern follow-up API.

After 10 minutes power plan sleep value, the system sleeps, potentially corrupting the backup image. If it matters, the backup destination is a share on an always-on server. I see the same same sleep behavior with BD-RE media which creates very expensive coasters. Also note that the backups worked fine a couple years ago. I was using an app to fake mouse motion to keep the system awake, but thought I'd try to find a better solution.

Is there a Windows setting I can use to force it to honor the AWAYMODE request?

:)

paulvb1, Jan 27, 2020

2. Preventing sleep on laptop/monitor

Hi Tricia,

In order to help you with your concern about preventing your Windows 10 not to go to sleep mode, may we request you to answer the following questions first:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer system prior to getting this issue?
    • What is the current Build and Version of your Windows 10 PC? To know these information follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R.
    • Type Winver.
    • Press Enter.
    • A small box will appear showing the current Build and
      Version
      of your PC.

(Should you need to update your PC, you may click on this
    link
    . This will also show you the update history for Windows 10.)

• Are you getting any error messages? If yes, kindly post it here.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

You may utilize the troubleshooting suggestions from the post of
    Aleksandr 10 in this thread, to remedy the
    automatic sleep that your device is displaying. This link has been helpful to a lot of Community members who had the same concern and may also be helpful in the issue at hand.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jan 27, 2020
  3. AeroGEL Win User
    Win 10 Backups & Sleep Mode

Hi Ruth,

I should clarify the reason the backup was cancelled.

The actual message was... "Backup was cancelled by User", and I am quite sure that it was because the PC entered Sleep Mode.

The Win 10 backup is being stored on an external 2Tb USB drive.

So to put my questions again...

• If I schedule a weekly backup, and the PC is in Sleep mode at the appointed time, will the PC wake up to allow the backup to run?
    • Can Sleep Mode be prevented whilst a Backup is running?
    TIA

AeroGEL, Jan 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 ignoring backup program request to prevent sleep

Is Microsoft Ignoring One of the Top User Requests for Windows 10?

I would Imagine that ease of fix combined with most popular help to set the prioity list for Microsoft.

orlbuckeye, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 ignoring backup program request to prevent sleep

1. Windows 10 ignoring backup program request to prevent sleep - Similar Threads - ignoring backup program

2. Prevent Windows 7 backup from running if a program is open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows 7 backup from running if a program is open.: Hi all,I'm currently running Windows 7 backup daily on one of our PCs to back up data generated by a vendor software package. The vendor has informed me that if the backup runs while the software is open, it could cause issues with the software's access database. I have the...
  3. Prevent Windows 7 backup from running if a program is open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows 7 backup from running if a program is open.: Hi all,I'm currently running Windows 7 backup daily on one of our PCs to back up data generated by a vendor software package. The vendor has informed me that if the backup runs while the software is open, it could cause issues with the software's access database. I have the...
  4. Prevent Windows 7 backup from running if a program is open.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Should MoUsoCoreWorker.exe preventing sleep be ignored?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Should MoUsoCoreWorker.exe preventing sleep be ignored?: I have seen several threads here complaining about this Code: powercfg /requests [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\System32\MoUsoCoreWorker.exe USO Worker I don't take that as something to get rid of but a warning that there is a problem with Windows updates I just...
  6. Should MoUsoCoreWorker.exe preventing sleep be ignored?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should MoUsoCoreWorker.exe preventing sleep be ignored?: I have seen several threads here complaining about this Code: powercfg /requests [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\System32\MoUsoCoreWorker.exe USO Worker I don't take that as something to get rid of but a warning that there is a problem with Windows updates I just...
  7. backup scan prevents sleep mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup scan prevents sleep mode: Using WIndows 10, my PC stopped automatically or manually entering sleep mode. Using the Powercfg /waketimers command in command mode, it is revealed that a service, backup scan is preventing sleep mode. However, backup mode is turned off. Any idea what is causing this...
  8. Sleep and Hibernate Ignored

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep and Hibernate Ignored: Starting about a week ago my Win 10 system doesn't sleep or hibernate as I request. Although it appears to be OK when I click on "Sleep" or "Hibernate" when I leave the office, when I return a few hours later it only resumes with a restart. In the past they both worked fine,...
  9. windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored: this problem of win 10 ignoring sleep setting is BS , its over a yr old and still happening ! it seems to me that the support team at Microsoft is at sleep !...
  10. Is Microsoft Ignoring One of the Top User Requests for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Is Microsoft Ignoring One of the Top User Requests for Windows 10?: Microsoft has promised to work together with users to develop Windows 10, and many of the features that are part of the existing technical preview builds, including the Start menu and its options, are based on suggestions submitted by insiders. But if we look at the...